new game engine for uru?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: new game engine for uru?

Postby Jamey » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:10 pm

I think this may prove useful: List of Game Engines

Personally speaking, I like the Aurora Engine a lot. :)
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Aloys » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:23 pm

A small project that I've always wanted to tackle would be to port one of the Uru Ages (or part of an Age) to one of other top of the line engines; either Unreal, or CryEngine.. Just for fun, to have a look at how gorgeous it'd be with a better rendering and shaders..
While it might be a bit tedious, I don't foresee any serious technical difficulties. (It would require creating normal maps for all the textures though; that'd be annoying)
The first area of Teledahn might be a good candidate for that. It's large, beautiful, detailed, and the water and the dynamic lighting would look great on a better engine.
Aloys

Postby Deledrius » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Aloys wrote:A small project that I've always wanted to tackle would be to port one of the Uru Ages (or part of an Age) to one of other top of the line engines; either Unreal, or CryEngine.. Just for fun, to have a look at how gorgeous it'd be with a better rendering and shaders..
While it might be a bit tedious, I don't foresee any serious technical difficulties. (It would require creating normal maps for all the textures though; that'd be annoying)
The first area of Teledahn might be a good candidate for that. It's large, beautiful, detailed, and the water and the dynamic lighting would look great on a better engine.

Now, thanks to the source release, you can help us add those features to Uru itself and extend the benefit to all existing Ages!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby andylegate » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:11 pm

Aloys wrote:A small project that I've always wanted to tackle would be to port one of the Uru Ages (or part of an Age) to one of other top of the line engines; either Unreal, or CryEngine.. Just for fun, to have a look at how gorgeous it'd be with a better rendering and shaders..

Way ahead of you. ;)

All though it's not the first link in point of Teledahn. I put my sights on something WAY smaller at first to start learning the ropes (Unreal 3.0's pipeline) and that is Sharper's spyroom. I downloaded the SDK (all 1.5 GB of it) from Unreal and have been picking it apart for several weeks (takes me back to my GTK Raidiant days, heheh).

Several weeks ago, a few of us wanted to experiment with some stuff that has plugin's for 3ds Max, like Ogre (Neo Axis) and Open Space 3D. The tutorials for Open Space 3D could be a bit better, but I found it's pipeline rather annoying. Neo Axis is good, but you need Max 9.0 as far as exporting things from Max. Blender is a different story. However, there were a lot of little things that ticked me off, like how collision was set for every face of every model I imported. I also found that Neo Axis couldn't handle my pine trees as well as Plasma can. I had to delete them to get the frame rate up from 12 FPS to 30. Where Plasma handled the pine trees with ease (this was Serene I was messing with). Still Neo Axis has some charm, and I could see it working in many ways for other projects. here is a video of me messing with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkyl21adjlw

Quite strange to see a red rabbit walking about in Serene, heheheh.

So anyways, I've been messing around with Unreal 3.0 (wanting to bang my head against the screen alot as I keep trying to do things wrong). Once I get it working correctly, I'll try doing something a bit larger than the spyroom, like one of the Guild Pubs, (they are bigger, not textured very complexly, and not a lot of wiring needed). Once I have it done, I'll take videos of both, and we can take a look (just for fun of course, I'm free to distribute for fun, but don't have the rather large amount of funds required for a commercial license for it, hehehe).
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Aloys » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Interesting; looking forward to that. :)
The reason I mentionned Teledahn, is because I think it is a good showcase for the parts where other engines (unreal for instance) are heads and shoulder above plasma: in particular shaders and lighting; perfect for large landscapes. Whereas other inside darker areas wouldn't benefit so much from a newer engine. Still it'll be interesting to see how your test with the pub work out.
I haven't yet found the time to familiarize myself with Unreal (or any engine other than Plasma for that matter), and given the way my life is headed god knows when I'll have the time and energy to do that.. :? File that under "one day..."

Deledrius wrote:Now, thanks to the source release, you can help us add those features to Uru itself and extend the benefit to all existing Ages!

Yes; except for the part where I'm not a coder at all. ;)
Aloys

Postby Deledrius » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:11 pm

Aloys wrote:
Deledrius wrote:Now, thanks to the source release, you can help us add those features to Uru itself and extend the benefit to all existing Ages!

Yes; except for the part where I'm not a coder at all. ;)

Yes, well I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek after all. ;)
(And hoping perhaps to remind others who are coders that such work would not go unappreciated!)
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Chacal » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Maybe I should pitch in!
I used to code a lot.

Would you prefer COBOL, Fortran IV, APL, RSTS BASIC or plain ol' ML?
:oops:
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Aloys » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:07 pm

Cobol? Fortran? oh my, I remember those; and I'm not even a coder.. You have not right to make me feel so old Chacal! :cry:
(what are APL and ML?)
Aloys

Postby Wamduskasapa » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:49 pm

Cobol? -- OMG -- Boxes of 3 x 7 cards and one missplaced period and the hours trying to find it. Yes I too remember that cursed language. I would much perfer Hex (Octadecimal) Assembly (ML)...

EDIT: APL was a computer programming language with specialized array processing capabilities dealing with the AMD Processor
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Branan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:35 pm

wait a couple months and SensEngine might be ready enough for a simple Uru fanage to be ported...
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion