The Writer's Pub: Renovation?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

The Writer's Pub: Renovation?

Postby Afalstein » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:14 pm

First of all, I want to say that it's great that our Guild has a Pub. Seriously, what other Guild can claim to have an exclusive space designed for them? Sure, it's a copy of the Watcher's Pub, but it's a lot more than the Hoods the other Guilds have to deal with. It's even got a big viewscreen, where ideas and statements and pictures can be posted. Discovering the Writer's Pub was what put me on the track to the Guild of Writers and to this site.

That being said, I feel like we could be making a lot more use out of the Pub than we are. About the only interesting thing there is the viewscreen, and the last time I was there, it had a few generic pictures up and two text documents--one a review of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and the other a simple sentence that said "Wellcome to the Whrighter's Pub." I give the writer credit for at least putting it up there, aside from that there wasn't really much of an explanation of what the Writer's Guild was or why people should care about it.

I added in my own welcome greeting, but still, I feel that a lot could be done here! At least, could the project leaders put up pictures and descriptions of the different Ages they're working on? It could generate more interest and pick up a few more programmers/writers to help enliven some of those dead projects we have sitting around. Perhaps, too, it might be best to limit the viewscreen TO such project leaders, so we don't get all sorts of random messages on the thing. If we got permission from Cyan, maybe we could even stick some smaller viewscreens in the alcoves dotted around the bar--a viewscreen for each particular project, with updates and shots for each one. I don't know where you guys post beta copies of your ages or where they go once they're done, but where better to find new books than in the Guild of Writers?

I realize I'm new here, so I apologize if I'm stepping on anyone's toes or overreaching my "noob" status. But we have a resource--an Age--that no other Guild has. And I think we should make the most of it.
Afalstein

Re: The Writer's Pub: Renovation?

Postby Lyrositor » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 am

Welcome to the Guild of Writers!

Afalstein wrote:First of all, I want to say that it's great that our Guild has a Pub. Seriously, what other Guild can claim to have an exclusive space designed for them? Sure, it's a copy of the Watcher's Pub, but it's a lot more than the Hoods the other Guilds have to deal with. It's even got a big viewscreen, where ideas and statements and pictures can be posted. Discovering the Writer's Pub was what put me on the track to the Guild of Writers and to this site.

Actually, each Guild has its own Pub; you just need to wear the appropriate T-Shirt from Kirel to access them.

Afalstein wrote:I added in my own welcome greeting, but still, I feel that a lot could be done here! At least, could the project leaders put up pictures and descriptions of the different Ages they're working on? It could generate more interest and pick up a few more programmers/writers to help enliven some of those dead projects we have sitting around. Perhaps, too, it might be best to limit the viewscreen TO such project leaders, so we don't get all sorts of random messages on the thing. If we got permission from Cyan, maybe we could even stick some smaller viewscreens in the alcoves dotted around the bar--a viewscreen for each particular project, with updates and shots for each one. I don't know where you guys post beta copies of your ages or where they go once they're done, but where better to find new books than in the Guild of Writers?

The problem with modifying Cyan Ages is that we don't have the permission to do it. I agree it'd be nice to make a few changes to the Guild Pub (in fact, several changes have already been proposed), but we're still waiting for a license from Cyan to do it. However, with some upcoming features of the client, we could theoretically implement small changes to Ages - no ETA on when those features will be finalized, though.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Postby Afalstein » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:03 am

Lyrositor wrote:Welcome to the Guild of Writers!

Actually, each Guild has its own Pub; you just need to wear the appropriate T-Shirt from Kirel to access them.

Really? Oh. I had not realized that. I tried on all the shirts, I must have just been wearing the Writer's one when I linked to the Nexus. That takes some of the wind out of my idea, I'd pictured it as a way of advertising to new players about our group. But cool that each group has a pub!

Lyrositor wrote:The problem with modifying Cyan Ages is that we don't have the permission to do it. I agree it'd be nice to make a few changes to the Guild Pub (in fact, several changes have already been proposed), but we're still waiting for a license from Cyan to do it. However, with some upcoming features of the client, we could theoretically implement small changes to Ages - no ETA on when those features will be finalized, though.

Cool! I look forward to seeing when those changes are finally approved!
Afalstein

Postby Annabelle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:42 pm

If you could take off the curtains to wash them, we could enjoy some exploration on the other side of the curtains like this room with the balcony.

BTW, each pub is different.

The picture below was took in the Writers'. This pub has the most differences between all the Guilds' Pubs.
In Maintainers', Cartographers', & Messengers' the balcony doesn't have the big arch (refer to the picture below) so we can see more inside the pubs themselves.
In Greeters'...well they forgot the visual balcony even though the physical structure is there and solid.

Show Spoiler
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Afalstein » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Seeing as how the Writer's Pub is more exclusive than I assumed, would it be worthwhile to make a Writer's Guild hood to advertise projects and solicit help? Or does this exist already?
Afalstein

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:44 pm

We can't modify Cyan's ages, but who says we can't replace them entirely? In the case of most of the ages, this is quite impractical, but the Guild Pubs are relatively simple ages... ;)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Afalstein » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:35 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:We can't modify Cyan's ages, but who says we can't replace them entirely? In the case of most of the ages, this is quite impractical, but the Guild Pubs are relatively simple ages... ;)

I'm... not an expert on what Cyan does and doesn't allow, but that seems highly illegal. Replacing an Age seems like a VERY big modification.
Afalstein

Postby Karkadann » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:43 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:We can't modify Cyan's ages, but who says we can't replace them entirely? In the case of most of the ages, this is quite impractical, but the Guild Pubs are relatively simple ages... ;)

What kind of age did you have in mind?
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Lyrositor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:18 am

Afalstein wrote:

I'm... not an expert on what Cyan does and doesn't allow, but that seems highly illegal. Replacing an Age seems like a VERY big modification.

Not at all. The legal problem is distributing Cyan files. If, however, we replace the file for the Guild Pubs with our own files, then the problem goes away, since we're not infringing on Cyan's copyright anymore.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Postby Afalstein » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:23 pm

Lyrositor wrote:
Afalstein wrote:

Not at all. The legal problem is distributing Cyan files. If, however, we replace the file for the Guild Pubs with our own files, then the problem goes away, since we're not infringing on Cyan's copyright anymore.

Aaand seeing how one of you is a director and the other one is a councilor, I really should have guessed that you knew what you were talking about. I'll be quiet now.

Ummm... unless I could possibly help with this new Age. I'm not a coder and it doesn't look like it'd require much text writing, but I could... draw maps. Or something.
Afalstein

Next

Return to General Discussion