Fan Ages

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Fan Ages

Postby philipgr » Sat May 17, 2014 9:31 am

Good evening
So whyh to understabnd.
I wish to comment on the fan ages that I have visited from my Relto. Most of these ages I have visited are visually appealling but there is nothing to do. So why? I wis
MOULa KI#24852041
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463
DI KI#00274303
UAM KI#00149988
philipgr

Re: Fan Ages

Postby Karkadann » Sat May 17, 2014 11:25 am

Speaking for myself making an age that is "to explore" is the easy part. Its just basic mesh, texture, and physics. Puzzles adds a whole new level of complexity to age creation. The biggest issue I feel is programing a random number generator into the age/puzzle so the puzzle changes every time you visit, which I think it might keep things more interesting and may keep you coming back for a new challenge from the same age. This is why I chose to do a few well known board games that transcends language. For instance you don't need to speak the same language to play a game of chess, but it helps In addition you can play chess on the same board or age a zillion times and you will never find yourself playing the same game twice. Not being a coder its the closest I could get to a random number generator :D
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby diafero » Sat May 17, 2014 11:54 am

There's a book in the right half of the lower row of the Shelf with ages containing puzzles... and some of the ages directly next to the "empty spot" also contain puzzles. But you are right the majority of the fan ages has no puzzles in the form Cyan's age have them. Some have "puzzles" in the form of "nice spots that are hard to find", some are just pretty to look at.
Btw, there are even more fan ages available in Nexus :)

Some puzzle ages I like:
Oolbahnneea, Sonavio, TaklaMakan, DRA Office + Adrael

"Big ages to explore":
Janga, Jonae, Jonae Hood, Hayal, Pre Swaltu

I'm sure others can give more recommendations :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby janaba » Sat May 17, 2014 12:38 pm

I wonder how you could forget to mention the most magnificent world of enormous proportions and with almost Cyan style puzzles etc., I'm speaking of 'Elodea', which in itself is more an own universe consisting of actually four worlds to explore ... Maybe you just wanted to give others the chance to recommend some more, diafero ... :P

Hi, philipgr, please have a look into this thread, and believe me, if you ever consider to explore 'Elodea' you'll be happy for that link, because without the many hints it contains (but also outright solutions, so, be cautious) you'll most probably have some difficulties to really 'beat and enjoy it' in its whole extent ... Besides that, I believe diafero already mentioned the most prominent ones to explore, oh, no, another beautiful one with puzzles comes to mind 'R'Oshanhnin Korvahkhn', which is an extensive and very beautiful one and with puzzles and everything, and there is 'Turtle Island' as well as 'Somewhere' and 'Iceworld', which are huge ones with puzzles too ...

Ok, I believe that is it so far from me, now just enjoy and have fun, philipgr ... :)
janaba

Postby Acorn » Sat May 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Thanks for linking to that Elodea thread, janaba - it reminded me of the fun we all had exploring it, getting stuck, helping others etc. :D Elodea definitely should be in the list for philipgr.

Is there any news on when we'll be getting your new Ages, Dulcamara? Alabaster, and the one whose name I've forgotten?
Acorn

Postby Annabelle » Sat May 17, 2014 7:00 pm

I will try to keep it short... :lol:

The fan ages are done by volunteers among the explorer community. Those ages have been created for quite some years, the UAM download manager gives the date "December 3rd, 2008" as the starting date for a lot of ages. You can expect these ages to be older than that date. We are in May 2014. There's no criteria for a fan age. Some have been made through a series of specific criterias though (the RAD contests, search the forum for more information). Some ages are very basic, some are very complex. It's up to the age writer(s)'s will.

I'm still working on a huge project "Journeys inside URU", I have a lot of things to accomplish before putting the final touch to it. All the following "big" ages of my first list as well as all the "small" ages of the second list are encompassed in that huge "videos, marker quests, & texts" project.

The "big" ages: (note: big here must be understood by ages having extensive areas to visit, a lot of puzzles or because they are part of a series of ages)

Adrael by the Adrael Team (Europeans). This age is really well built. You can explore a lot of areas, the puzzles are great (although the 2nd one is not complete so there's no inherent logic to it). The story of this age is awesome. I like the drama occuring. The musical score at the end is mystical, a must-see.

Elodea, Elodea's Unterwelt, Elodea's Tunnelgang, & Elodea's Schatzkammern by Dulcamara (German). This is the quintescence of exploration! There are so much areas to explore, so much activities you can do there. I go back there a lot of time. The story is quite short. You understand your goal there quite fast (somewhat you can understand it from 2 perspectives: 1st) that you must preserve what was protected or 2nd) just go for it and take it with you!). There are journey cloths all over that you must find and touch in order to advance in the solving so they look like Cyan's ages for this aspect.

Enobmort & Noidrocca by J'Kla (British). These ages might seem rebarbative at first, 2 huge maze ages but there are hidden gems to discover in them. You can make up your own storyline in them because J'Kla cannot achieve his for now so those ages are still in Work-in-Progress (WIP) mode

Somewhere & Iceworld by denost2 (French). Two of my favorite ages. Those 2 ages are very extensive. Before Elodea, those were the hugest. The story is more developed in these ages and is more tied to the puzzle-solving. You must solve them in a given order to go forward. There are a lot of moving vehicles which make the whole journey really awesome.

Janga & Takla Ma'kan by Huru.info folks (Germans). Those 2 ages are huge. There are a lot to explore in them. Janga is more open as there's no puzzle-solving in order to advance. You have a lot of secret places or secret paths to explore though. The difficulty is to find them all. Takla Ma'kan has the most complex puzzles of all the fan ages. You must go through a series of puzzles to reach the final area. There's an additional layer to all that: every puzzle you solved has important elements to keep in mind for the ultimate puzzle. You cannot solve the last puzzle without them. You cannot cheat either; you cannot just remember the last puzzle's solution and reach the final area. The age remembers which steps have been done so you need to go from A to Z.

Jo'nae and Jo'nae Hood by Jonnee (German affiliated with Huru.info folks). Those 2 ages are lavish. The warm feeling of the colours used make them very pleasant to visit. They don't revolved on complex puzzles; intuition is only needed here. They are plunged in eternal night. Jo'nae is a small district full of colourful mushrooms and some dwellings. Jo'nae Hood is huger. There are deathly gardens, 2 inhabited districts, a lavish garden with laser barriers, 2 dark caves, & the stellar port facilities.

Rahsoo B'ahrotan & R'Oshanhnin Korvahkhn by Calena (American). In those 2 ages, you are feeling connected with the Earth with the nature. It might be hard to understand if you are not from North America. The Native Americans in their purest form are represent here: the connection with the Nature, with the Elements, their theology, their customs. The storyline is really interesting and plausible (D'nis met Native Americans in the heart of New Mexico State long before it was named like that), the puzzles are well-designed, the sceneries are well drawn.

The "small" ages: (note "small" is my colloquial way for me to call the standalone ages, some might be very large & extensive ages...)

Zephyr Cove
Yedahna
Wianeroy
Walking Maze
Vothol Gallery
Vaiskor Area 2
Ulteemah
T'vel
Turtle Isle
Tsoidahl Sheegahtee
Tsoidahl Prad
The Lost Stonehenge
The Chess Age (mostly for the coconuts, I'm not fan of chess :lol: )
Terrati Lab
Tehr'Dovah
Tahm Hehvo
Sonavio
Skysong (for this one...you need to solve a puzzle in one of the Ahra Pahts' shell)
Sholek's Temple
Shorah Pahts
Serene
Rell-Too
Relativity
Pre-Swaltu
Prad
Paahkweh
Oolbahnneea
Moysenland
Maw
Llantern
Kaelis' Pub Office
Hayal
Gavster
Fens
Fahets
Eocene
Eder Tomahn
Crater Concept
Botan
Ahrkane
Ahra Pahts
Age Maps Gallery

Those are all the installed ages in my URU:CC offline install :).

I also visit the fan ages available on the Gehn & TOC MOUL shards but they are not part of my "Journeys inside URU" project.
Last edited by Annabelle on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby philipgr » Wed May 21, 2014 8:33 am

Hi Annabelle and everyone else

Sorry I am only responding now. I have been in bed the last week and a bit with flu and sinus. I am sorry if I gave the impression that I was critiziing the effort and tuime spent by fans take to create their ages. I am not. I enjoy solving puzzles. I went Adreal via the three open linking books in the DRC office alcove. The ages look nice but there does not seem there is much to do except walk around. I went there via the book in my book in my bookcase. I also went to Elodia. Initially I had difficulty jumping through the window so I thought that you could not get out there. I wandered around in the two rooms joined by the tunnel looking for an exit but I could not find any. I tried the window again and eventually managed to jump through. I am busy wandering around there. I went to Shorah Pahts but I was not able to open the door in the central structure. I also went to the age with the machine that makes fire marbles, I have forgotten the name, the decor was nice looked just like Ae'gura. Sadly the gate to the city will not open. I have been to The Lost Stonehenge, the Vothol Gallery, The Chess Age, as well as the one where the ;adders are sideways and upside down. I been to all the ages on the bottom row of my bookshelf in DI.

I have also been to a few of the restoration ages.

Regards
Philip ;)
MOULa KI#24852041
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463
DI KI#00274303
UAM KI#00149988
philipgr

Postby Acorn » Wed May 21, 2014 8:49 am

There is a more official exit from those Elodea rooms, philipgr - you need to explore a bit more ;) Jumping through the window works at the start, but there's a lot to find in Elodea so you should keep your eyes peeled
Show Spoiler
- you won't always be able to solve Dulcamara's puzzles the easy way!
Acorn

Postby janaba » Wed May 21, 2014 8:59 am

Hi, philipgr, it is good that you seem to be through and well now ... A flu is always a good cleansing for the body and on all levels as well as a time for rest and for reflection etc. ... :P

As for Elodea, I've posted a link in my post above, please use it in case you're intending to explore it again or further on ... It is best to explore those Elodea worlds like a real adventure game and to thoroughly examine and 'touch' everything while moving forward etc., which already is an important hint ... The correct way to proceed there is well described in that thread linked above, but it is also possible to find not necessarily all, or maybe all, but that isn't easy, I tell ya lol, but much of it without of course ... Does that make sense now, ok, haha, philipgr, I wish you happy further explorations ... Also try the other link to R'Oshanhnin Korvahkhn, which is also very beautiful and with puzzles and interactions etc. ... Yeah, just enjoy ... :)
janaba

Postby Dulcamara » Wed May 21, 2014 11:12 am

Is there any news on when we'll be getting your new Ages, Dulcamara? Alabaster, and the one whose name I've forgotten?

Sorry I reply late Acorn :)

Currently paused Alabaster a little, because I'm working on an update of Elodeas "upper world". This is especially necessary because there are also linkbooks to the new Ages Alabaster and Gallardien.
Once the update is online, I'll go ahead immediately with Alabaster. Gallardien must wait a little longer, because it will also give AlabastersDephts and AlabastersSanctuary.
So a lot to do ....... and until then been a few more years could go by. :lol:
Show Spoiler
Dulcamara

Next

Return to General Discussion