Gehn.7 Live!

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Gehn.7 Live!

Postby Deledrius » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:21 am

I can confirm this.

The imager buttons show no symbols, Yeesha's hologram cleft book is sitting next to the imager.

Edit: We've identified the problem and a solution is being devised.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Ron Landry » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:02 pm

Deledrius wrote:I can't say for certain this is the root of the problem, but it would be in your best interests to upgrade to SP3 if at all possible.

Oh dear. I'm working on it.

Gehn is the first software on my system which seems to need SP3 definitely -- and I have a pretty bunch of installed applications.
... and so I close realising that perhaps ... the ending ... has not yet been written.
returned to the cavern as
MOULa KI#10215645 Ovaron / Gehn Shard KI#582269 Ovaron2
Ron Landry

Postby Branan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Unfortunately, SP3 might not be enough.

In Gehn.7 we started updating a lot of the math to use modern processor features*. We added a check that's supposed to abort on old processors. Unfortunately, without any of us devs having an old enough machine to test on that check might actually not be working.

I'd suggest you grab CPU-Z and paste the "Instructions" line here. That will help let us know whether we have a bug in our detection routine, and it'll let you know if your processor is too old to play our fancy modern URU.

* By "modern" we mean "introduced in 2004". We felt this struck a good balance between supporting older systems and giving us as developers the opportunity to improve the game.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby semplerfi » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:27 pm

Hope these help. They were all available in 2004. ;)

2.2GHz Pentium 4 Northwood SEE2 768MB
Processor: 1 Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.20GHz [x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4]
Processor features: fpu tsc sse sse2 mmx

3.6GHz Pentium 4 560 Prescott HT SSE3 2GB RAID0
Processor: 2 Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.60GHz [x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1]
Processor features: fpu tsc pae nx sse sse2 see3 mmx

3.8GHz Pentium 4 670 Prescott HT SSE3 EM64T 3GB RAID0
Processor: 2 Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.80GHz [x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3]
Processor features: fpu tsc pae nx sse sse2 see3 mmx em64t
semplerfi

Postby johnsojc » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:37 pm

So it might not be the O/S that is the limitation... it could be the processor chip that is the problem. (?)
johnsojc

Postby Branan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:21 pm

johnsojc wrote:So it might not be the O/S that is the limitation... it could be the processor chip that is the problem. (?)

We now require a processor that supports SSE3. Some (very low end) processors sold after 2004 will be missing this feature, but most systems from 2004/2005 onward should be compatible.

For Intel: Any Core-series or any Pentium 4 after Prescott.

For AMD: Any Phenom or Athlon II, or an Athlon after E4.

If you have a Pentium-4 or Athlon branded chip, you should check a program like CPU-z to find out if you support SSE3. I'll try to fix the detection routine inside URU so that it will properly alert you when your processor is too old, rather than crashing.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Deledrius » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:40 pm

I just barely qualify. Yay!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:54 pm

My grandmother's PC qualifies... 8-)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Ron Landry » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:29 am

Branan wrote:I'd suggest you grab CPU-Z and paste the "Instructions" line here. That will help let us know whether we have a bug in our detection routine, and it'll let you know if your processor is too old to play our fancy modern URU.

Ok, thanks Branan. I've installed that tool. The instruction line shows: "MMX(+), 3DNow(+), SSE".

Branan wrote:By "modern" we mean "introduced in 2004".

Processor Type: AMD Athlon XP, which was produced until 2004. And this seems to be too old.
Well, I like to play ;) prehistoric games like Myst :shock: with prehistoric :D hardware..

Johnsoic wrote:So it might not be the O/S that is the limitation... it could be the processor chip that is the problem. (?)

It looks like that is the case.
Last edited by Ron Landry on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
... and so I close realising that perhaps ... the ending ... has not yet been written.
Ron Landry

Postby Ron Landry » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:43 am

Branan wrote:If you have a Pentium-4 or Athlon branded chip, you should check a program like CPU-z to find out if you support SSE3. I'll try to fix the detection routine inside URU so that it will properly alert you when your processor is too old, rather than crashing.

Oh yeah, its a good idea, if the launcher would detect and alert about a too old CPU. If you fix this URU inside routine, I will give you feedback, if it works or not. As I wrote, I'm using an AMD Athlon XP, produced until 2004 with SSE-Support, that is obviously not SSE3. Seems definitely as if I NOT have detected a hidden malfunction of Gehn.7 Live!, but a lack of hardware on my side. :lol: Good for Gehn :lol: (bad for me :roll: :evil:).

Tsar Hoikas wrote:My grandmother's PC qualifies...

Good 4 your grandma. It may be not prehistoric enough. :D
Ron Landry

PreviousNext

Return to Gehn Shard