Bug Report: Installer fails to install OpenAL

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Bug Report: Installer fails to install OpenAL

Postby krepta3000 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:00 pm

Since you GoW guys FAIL to have a section for posting bug reports, I created a topic for it. And as the first bug report in the topic, this is what is wrong:

The installer does not copy all of the needed files from the vanilla MOULa installation! I ran the newest installer, as far as I know, and it said it was copying files. Cool. Then it finished, I guess, since it went away. So, I ran the new Gehn Shard Uru Explorer program. It screamed an error at me about not being able to find the OpenAL32.dll and died! So, I searched for it,and found copies of it all over the system. I scratched my head, why can't it find a file that is all over the freaking computer?! So I compared the Gehn Shared folder to the MOULa folder, and the difference leaped out at me. The .DLL Files had not been copied over! What the heck?! So I copied OpenAL32.dll, and now uru at least starts up. I thought that would be all I needed to do, but then I found that sound wasn't working at all. *sigh* So, I shut it down, and copied the other .DLL files, now everything works, even sound.

Seriously, you need to fix your installer, and you need to stop screwing around on your Forum! You should not have a section for bug reports in which bugs cannot be reported!

End of bug report, and rant about forum setup. :x

I'll be seeing you on Gehn Shard for the celebration, hope you all have a good time.
krepta3000

Re: Bug Report: Installer fails to install OpenAL

Postby Deledrius » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:28 pm

Welcome to the Guild of Writers forum, krepta3000.

We're sorry to hear of your trouble with the installer. We've spent much effort to make the installation process as painless as we're possibly allowed by the various licensing requirements, and this is the first bug of its kind to have been reported. It's likely that it has interacted unexpectedly with other software on your system; a workaround for this has already been devised and the installer has been updated.

I understand the frustration in your first attempt to join us here on Gehn, but you may want to take a second look at the pinned and locked post which gives you very specific instructions on how to report a bug (in particular the second bullet point). In order to make it as simple as possible for non-technical users, we ask nothing more than what you have already done, which is start a thread to discuss your issue. In the future, however, please try to keep your bug report to the specific problem at hand in your feedback and restrain your frustration as it will be more useful in addressing your problem (as well as less discouraging to those for whom it falls to assist).

Thank you for your feedback, and we hope to see you on Gehn with us soon!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby krepta3000 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:16 pm

I read the bullet points. It did not say simply post anywhere at all on the forum. A specific place to post a bug report makes sense to me. I will be more technical and precise in the future with bug reports. It was not the bug that made me angry, it was the lack of sense in the way you set up your forum. Please revise the pinned and locked post regarding bug reports as it is NOT clear that all one needs to do is what I did, simply create a new topic in the Gehn section of the forum with a title about the specific bug being reported, and include technical details in the body of the first message in the topic.

I'm quite used to forums. I understand the role of pinned and locked topics/threads. They are instructional only, and not to be modified by passersby like myself. I am usually very good at following instructions. Like a computer following a program. If there is an error in the instructions I am likely to become lost, confused, frustrated, and angry. I suggest something like the following:

In order to post a bug report for Gehn Shard, go back to the Gehn Shard section of the GoW forum and post a New Topic, with the Subject being a short description of the bug being reported, and as precise technical details as possible regarding the circumstances of the bug being reported. Such as the computer type, IBM compatible PC or Apple Macintosh PC, the Operating System, the exact error messages received, etc. Please do try not to express your frustration, we understand how frustrating bugs can be, we are only here to help you.

Is that good enough? And I apologize for the multiple posts, my browser was not showing that I'd posted, it kept bringing up a Preview of my post, which led me to click Submit several times.
krepta3000

Postby Mystler » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:38 am

If no existing thread addresses your bug, create a new thread titled Bug Report: short description where short description is a useful description of the problem you experienced.

Right there, in the thread Deledrius linked...
The ability to read might come in handy, sometimes.
Mystler

Postby Deledrius » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:59 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, krepta3000. I've edited the sticky post to make that more clear, and will consider the rest for a future rewrite. :)
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Return to Gehn Shard