3DS Max 7 with Windows 7

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: 3DS Max 7 with Windows 7

Postby tachzusamm » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:49 pm

I have read in a german forum that a guy had luck with getting it running when he decided to install it into the default paths, including data paths, instead of his own preferred paths he tried before several times.
Sounds a bit strange to me though, but who knows?

If this does not work as well, what about running it in a virtual XP machine?
The latest released VMWare player (version 3.01?) is able to create/install such a platform - so there should be no need for the full workstation version.
Oh... while writing, I forgot... your XP version has been eaten... oh dang.
tachzusamm

Postby andylegate » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:40 pm

Well the default path, during installation is:

C:\3dsmax7\

Which is where I let it install. I COULD try making it install in the Program Files folder and see what happens.

What gets me is how it seems to freeze. It does so JUST before the 4 windows have their grids pop up. It's like it's hanging on something. I'd think if it was a missing dll file in Windows, it would return an actual error. So that makes me think it's trying to access an existing dll, but it's one that has be re-done for Windows 7, and Max is getting confused.

Of course Trylon having his work kind of blows that idea out of the water, heh.

I installed Max on my wife's computer, which is still running XP (and is identical to mine hardware wise) and it runs just fine! (oh no.....can't do Age Creation on her computer, I can hear her yelling at me now: "Why is my hard drive full of textures???????"

I wish there was a way I could run Max in a "debug" mode so I can see where it's getting locked up at.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby andylegate » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:46 am

:shock: :shock:

Ooooooookay....

I got Max to work......on a hunch, I uninstalled the Nvidia video driver, 197.13 for Vista and Windows 7 that came from Nvidia. I then tried to install the 197.13 driver from Nvidia that was for XP......

Nvidia's driver for XP told me to go to hell, because I was NOT using Win 2000 or XP.....heh.

So I went to reinstall the 197.13 driver for Windows 7, and it said I didn't have that device. I then remembered that when I first installed Windows 7, it detected my Geforce 8500 GT card and installed it's own driver, and THEN I was able to install the Nividia driver.

So I rebooted and let Windows 7 find my video card, and it installed it's Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT Windows WDDM 1.1 driver. and rebooted again.

I was about to go on and install the Nvidia 197.13 driver.....when I stopped, and instead tried opening up Max instead....

It worked! :shock:

Sooooooo, the problem is, Nvidia's 197.13 driver for Vista and Windows 7 is not compatible with 3DS Max 7. Where as the driver that comes with Windows 7 is.

Hrmmmmm. I'm off to try some of my games with this, to see how they do, and to also report this to Nvidia.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Mystler » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:55 am

I had the same problem. Until a few minutes ago! Installing the 197.25 Beta Driver worked fine for me! :D :D :D
Mystler

Postby Ranting Thespian » Tue May 04, 2010 10:13 pm

Well, I was forced to upgrade to Windows 7 just a little while ago.

Now, 3ds Max 7 works fine on my computer. However, I have a problem getting the Plasma Plug-in to work. If I do all the correct "install" steps that I did with XP, it will crash on starting it.

Can anyone help me out here?
Ranting Thespian

Postby Egon » Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 pm

I don't have Windows 7, but I heard it has build in virtual machine with windows XP. Ad least some version have it.
Egon #2052375
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon
Egon

Postby Ranting Thespian » Wed May 05, 2010 1:52 am

Egon wrote:I don't have Windows 7, but I heard it has build in virtual machine with windows XP. Ad least some version have it.

Sadly, that only comes with Professional and Ultimate. I am using Home Premium.
Ranting Thespian

Postby Old Wolle » Wed May 05, 2010 3:40 pm

3DS Max 7 costs x-thousand Dollars.... and you have bought it.

Microsoft's "Virtual PC 2007 SP1" and Sun's "VirtualBox v3.16" are Freeware and runs fine under XP/Vista/Win7. A used WinXP-Version from ebay costs less then 100 Dollars.... so what is the problem?
The word "vegetarian" has an Indian origin and can be translated as: "the one who is too dumb to hunt".

Das Wort "Vegetarier" hat einen indianischen Ursprung und bedeutet übersetzt "Der zu blöd zum Jagen ist".
Old Wolle

Postby Ranting Thespian » Wed May 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Old Wolle wrote:3DS Max 7 costs x-thousand Dollars.... and you have bought it.

Microsoft's "Virtual PC 2007 SP1" and Sun's "VirtualBox v3.16" are Freeware and runs fine under XP/Vista/Win7. A used WinXP-Version from ebay costs less then 100 Dollars.... so what is the problem?

The problem is Virtual PC 2007 SP1 is not for Windows 7, I have never heard of VirtualBox v3.16 before (and after searching, people seem to have issues with Windows 7 causing their computers to crash), I got my copy of 3Ds Max 7 from my brother who got it from a graphic design friend years ago, I already have a Windows XP disc, however I am not that great with how computers and programs work. So, I am hoping to get help to solve this problem, and not someone talking down to me. :|
Ranting Thespian

Previous

Return to Building