Community Nexus

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Community Nexus

Postby nathan2055 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:46 pm

This is a problem back from the begining, but I can't access Personal Links in the Offline KI's Nexus. It was replaced by the section with Fan Age links. Anyway to fix this or move it over to something like "Private Links" which is useless in an offline install?

Official Wiki Page
Last edited by nathan2055 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Currently an official representative of the Guild of Writers.
Nathan2055 (01307567) on MO:ULagain - NAL2055 (00071382) on The Deep Island Shard
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Re: Personal Links

Postby diafero » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:56 am

Offline KI removes the "Personal Links" and "Public Links" section, that's right. I considered them both useless, as the former are all available through Relto, and neither POTS not Alcugs support multiple hoods. The Offline KI is fully multi-player compatible (despite its name ;-) ), which is why the "Private Links" category is required. Now I guess I could replace "Private Links" by "Personal Links" if and only if the Nexus is opened offline, but that'd add an inconsistency between the two worlds which I generally try to avoid. One of my design goals was to let the game behave totally the same, no matter whether you are on a Shard or not. Of course, you are always considered an Admin offline, while this is set up by the Shard Admin online, but that's different. The other reason is that the Nexus code is already horrible enough ;-)

What do others think?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Sirius » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:23 am

Well, I liked the idea of having a Writers' Nexus based on the old Nexus (only one window) with every links to the city removed and replaced by Fan-Ages... Would it be easier to code than the whole Nexus ?

I would rather see the guild pubs in City Links and Fan-Ages in Public Links. Personal Links was cool, even if you could access all of them from Relto

diafero wrote:neither POTS nor Alcugs support multiple hoods.

That's quite bad to my mind... the random customization was fun, as well as the way hoods could be used (for events as St Patrick's Day even though nobody seems to organize some anymore :cry: ) and as well as way to have a separate hood for you and your friends.
Is that an instancing problem ? Or the hood creation ?
Sirius

Postby nathan2055 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:22 am

Sirius wrote:Well, I liked the idea of having a Writers' Nexus based on the old Nexus (only one window) with every links to the city removed and replaced by Fan-Ages... Would it be easier to code than the whole Nexus ?

I would rather see the guild pubs in City Links and Fan-Ages in Public Links. Personal Links was cool, even if you could access all of them from Relto

diafero wrote:neither POTS nor Alcugs support multiple hoods.

That's quite bad to my mind... the random customization was fun, as well as the way hoods could be used (for events as St Patrick's Day even though nobody seems to organize some anymore :cry: ) and as well as way to have a separate hood for you and your friends.
Is that an instancing problem ? Or the hood creation ?

I agree with that whole thing. A Writer's Nexus would do better, and moving the Pubs to City Links would be better. What do you think, diafero?
Nathan2055 (01307567) on MO:ULagain - NAL2055 (00071382) on The Deep Island Shard
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Postby diafero » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:51 am

Sure, a dedicated Writer's Nexus (I think this was also suggested at GoMa as "Community Nexus") would be the best solution, allowing us to (a) write clean, maintainable code ;-) and (b) do the modifications we need to do, keep it expendable, and so on - removing most of the fan-age stuff from Cyan's Nexus. Someone (GPNMilano aka Chloe) even had plans for such a project, and I agreed to do the Python scripting with her. However, she unfortunately has vanished (again :( ), the project never really started. And I alone have neither time nor knowledge to create such a Nexus (I supposed it'd be easier now that 3ds Max is out, but it's still a large project).

Regarding the hood issue: I suppose I could extend the server to support creating and deleting hoods, though the instancing system would need some re-work. However, I don't even know if the client supports that properly, and the Relto Shelf does not have the necessary buttons required to change your hood. And then I never considered a real disadvantage - I never saw an Alcugs Shard having more than 30 players online at the same time, and then it was always handy to have a global list of online players in your Neighbors section.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Sirius » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:35 am

The shelf button to delete the hood book is here. Maybe it is just disabled by the psnlBookShelf.py. The only PRP difference between this one and MOUL's one is the lock without the 0 symbol. Ah, I would really like to have MOUL's shelf instead of the CC one...

About the Nexus, I think renaming and changing the sequence prefix from the old one should be enough in the PRP (except maybe the problem with dynamic linking panels, don't really know how it works). Then, using the python code you made in the new Nexus should be all right.
Sirius

Postby Egon » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:38 am

Sirius wrote:About the Nexus, I think renaming and changing the sequence prefix from the old one should be enough in the PRP (except maybe the problem with dynamic linking panels, don't really know how it works). Then, using the python code you made in the new Nexus should be all right.

Some time ago I though about it, and wonder is it possible. I asked some experts about it in private.
Don't wan't to brag hole discusion here, but as far I understand it now: it would be better to make our own Nexus from scrach (with Blender + PyPRP, or Max + Cyan Plugin).
Egon #2052375
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon
Egon

Postby Sirius » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:12 am

Hey, I got it working 8-) .
I converted the old Nexus to change the age name and sequence prefix, but it seems the texture file wasn't good enough and was deleted by the game. But it still load 2 textures :shock: .
I have a problem with linking images, don't know if that's a problem with the texture or PRP file... and there are still the "00000 0000 000" at the end of the name.

Egon wrote:It would be better to make our own Nexus from scrach (with Blender + PyPRP, or Max + Cyan Plugin).

That's right... unfortunately :(
I guess converting the MOUL nexus wouldn't be enough ?
Sirius

Postby diafero » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:04 am

The shelf button to delete the hood book is here. Maybe it is just disabled by the psnlBookShelf.py.
Are you sure? I though that, too, but could not find Python code doing that.

And you are right, we can of course duplicate Cyan's Nexus - which will leave us with all the issues it has when the list gets longer than 10 or 15 items. So, not really a solution, IMHO :(

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby nathan2055 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:39 pm

Sirius wrote:(only one window)

If you mean a book access option, then yes, but a real window is not a good idea.

diafero wrote:Sure, a dedicated Writer's Nexus (I think this was also suggested at GoMa as "Community Nexus") would be the best solution, allowing us to (a) write clean, maintainable code and (b) do the modifications we need to do, keep it expendable, and so on - removing most of the fan-age stuff from Cyan's Nexus. Someone (GPNMilano aka Chloe) even had plans for such a project, and I agreed to do the Python scripting with her. However, she unfortunately has vanished (again ), the project never really started. And I alone have neither time nor knowledge to create such a Nexus (I supposed it'd be easier now that 3ds Max is out, but it's still a large project).

How are you guys thinking of making this? Are we going to pull code from the canon Nexus and do palette swaps to give it a different color (I would like a red Nexus with a GoW logo)? Or are we going to build Nexus code from scratch? This should be a bundled Age with the Offline KI, or maybe a required plugin.

diafero wrote:Regarding the hood issue: I suppose I could extend the server to support creating and deleting hoods, though the instancing system would need some re-work. However, I don't even know if the client supports that properly, and the Relto Shelf does not have the necessary buttons required to change your hood. And then I never considered a real disadvantage - I never saw an Alcugs Shard having more than 30 players online at the same time, and then it was always handy to have a global list of online players in your Neighbors section.

I highly recommend we keep that the way it is. After all, having a global list of players is good if you need help with an Age and want to send a Shard-wide message (e.g. "Could someone help me with this new Fan-Age?")!
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Next

Return to Building