Community Nexus

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Personal Links

Postby Egon » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:37 am

diafero wrote:Also, it's really confusing to have two threads on this topic...

Well I though that I was quite specific to why we need new thread about it:
Egon wrote:This subject is reoccurring from time to time, recently is being quite actively disused on couple of threads, so it's time to give it a proper attention
But maybe I wasn't.

In that case: I'm old fashion and I think that talking regarding "custom fan-made nexus" shouldn't be made in thread not named properly, as is kind of important topic.
It's like I would start thread "Oranges", and started to talk about "Apples"....

Now we do have a mess, and I was tempted to ask moderators to move lasts posts from this thread to new thread, but I don't like to be bossy, so want you want I guess...
Last edited by Egon on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Egon #2052375
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon
Egon

Postby Whilyam » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:24 am

kaelisebonrai wrote:
nathan2055 wrote:
diafero wrote:There's one issues with categories: It's hard to put ages into them. I tried to do for the Shelf, and it was hard, and for most ages I failed.

Actually, I was thinking we would ask for categories when the Age is sent to Dustin for publishing. And, now that I have read that whole site (two posts up), some of those concepts are so cool they just have to be implemented :) .

EDIT: Current Ages could be put in an "Original Fan Ages" category.

EDIT 2: Put together a rough concept sketch. Using the Nexus picture from MYSTlore's Nexus page, I added a GoW logo to the MT machine. The end result is the attached picture licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license.

And what about those Ages not submitted to Dustin? - I know I have no intentions of directly releasing through UAM. =) And Tweek mostly just releases on Beneath. - And I doubt Whilyam would release by submitting to Dustin - Nor would SubRest, if we ever release anything. =P

You don't /have/ to submit ages to Dustin to release stuff, you know. ;)

^This. Future Ages will probably be released on Cavern Link with links here and other forums.
Whilyam

Postby Carl Palmner » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:54 am

GPN--love the screenshots, looks very very nice.

Just wanted to throw in my support as well. I think a Writer's Nexus is an excellent idea. I also like the idea of categories, since, with over 70 fan Ages now available, simply lumping them all into one list we scroll through is a bit tedious. I've seen a few different category suggestions. Personally I prefer a "tag" system wherein each Age could be tagged with various descriptors and the list could be filtered to show only Ages with specific tags. For example, someone using the Writer's Nexus interface might select "Puzzle" and "Story" as tags, and the list would then display only Ages that have been tagged as containing puzzles to solve and significant story. This is the system used by Little Big Planet and many other games that support user-uploaded content and I think it works well, especially for smaller communities like ours. Another advantage to a "tag" system over a standard category system is that each Age could have multiple tags--perhaps up to 10 or 15, even, depending on how many tags are used and how specific they are.

There have been a lot of category suggestions. Here's my own list, either for a category system or a tag system:

-Puzzle
-Story
-Large/Medium/Small (these should obviously be mutually exclusive)
-Garden
-Indoor/Outdoor/In-and-outdoor (once again, mutually exclusive)
-D'ni (for locations that are supposed to be part of D'ni, not separate Ages)
-Player Nexi (I'm referring here to Ages like Andy's Nexus or that one Age that Whilyam has--I forget the name--which Links to all his other Ages. These are Ages that serve primarily as "hubs" for multiple other Ages)
-Minigames (Ages where one can play games with others, like the Chess and Checkers Ages. If Jalak was a fan Age it would go here too, as would Ahyoheek if it had its own Age)

There could of course be many more.

Two other features I think are a great idea: First, Kaelisebonrai suggested in another thread (maybe in this one too, I don't know) that we have a set of "featured" Ages which would change regularly, and consist of Ages that we as a Guild think are particularly worth visiting and want to promote. I think this is a great way to promote quality, so long as an Age has to pass some kind of majority vote before getting featured, and so long as the number of featured Ages is always limited. Second, in addition to being able to filter Ages by category, I would love to see us able to access convenient and easy-to-use lists of Age by AUTHOR. I realize this is available offline and even online in basic text format, but I'm talking about something that could be implement in the Writer's Nexus itself--i.e. perhaps the ability to filter the list by author rather than tag.

Of course I realize I am talking about a lot of coding, none of which I am able to do because I don't know python or anything about programming with Uru. These are really just suggestions right now. I imagine python probably has some provision for some kind of database sorting, though--before I forgot all my Java and C++ I could easily have written a program to sort information this way, but like I said, I know nothing about python so maybe my suggestions are unrealistic.
Carl Palmner

Postby nathan2055 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:38 pm

@GPNMilano - LOVE the screenshots. How about instead of having a picture imager we have a board that shows the latest updates to the Age list.
@Egon - You're right. I'll rename this thread. But, with two threads, things are getting mixed up.
@Carl - I like that list. Someone needs to build a more complete list and post it.
@All - With the - let's see, according to Drizzle, there is almost 100 Fan Ages. It's high past time we take them out of a stuffed Nexus list. I suggest we use GPNMilano's Age, Tweek's Nexus GUI (if we can), and a master category list (open for volunteers).
Last edited by nathan2055 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently an official representative of the Guild of Writers.
Nathan2055 (01307567) on MO:ULagain - NAL2055 (00071382) on The Deep Island Shard
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Re: Our own Nexus

Postby nathan2055 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:04 pm

@Egon - In your first post you comment that there should be a library Age where players must "pick up" new books. I recommend we skip this altogether and have any of those sub-Ages immediately get sent to the Writer's Nexus.
kaelisebonrai wrote:Um, that texture... It'd be better to make our own - after all, that texture was just a matter of using the DniDings font, by the looks of it =)

Good idea. In computers, it's better to make new than reuse old :lol: :lol: :lol: .
GPNMilano wrote:The "wall" in this case is that I'm simply not comfortable coding a completely new Nexus GUI from scratch.

By GUI, do you mean fixing the millions of bugs in the current Nexus, or implementing the new categories? Tweek is working on a Nexus GUI he mentioned at the other thread.
Last edited by nathan2055 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nathan2055 (01307567) on MO:ULagain - NAL2055 (00071382) on The Deep Island Shard
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Postby GPNMilano » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:24 pm

nathan2055 wrote:@GPNMilano - LOVE the screenshots. How about instead of having a picture imager we have a board that shows the latest updates to the Age list.

One of the reasons I was thinking of a picture imager, is sometimes people can't put names onto the places, but once they see it they recognize it. So the idea of the picture imager came in handy for those that can't remember the name of a place, but remember what it looks like. Plus you can't have too many imagers. What I could do is put a chalk board type stand towards the back of the Nexus, between two of the banners. That can be updated with the latest changes to the age list, but that is a bit redundant since that's what I assume most shard owners would use the other imager for.

By GUI, do you mean fixing the millions of bugs in the current Nexus, or implementing the new categories? Tweek is working on a Nexus GUI he mentioned at the other thread.
By GUI I meant programming from scratch a new Nexus Interface. Tweek's proposals are something I saw last year that sparked my interest in a number of things. Currently he's not implementing any of them (I don't think unless something's changed since the last time I talked to him.) But he was supportive of me working on those concepts, including the Nexus GUI if I recall correctly. So yes the GUI would be as close to Tweek's as possible since it's based off his concept. Modeling it is not an issue, that's fairly easy, it's the python side of it that's a pain, especially if we add more to the concept, as it will quickly become as complicated as our current Nexus. Hence why I asked diafero to help me program it.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Re: Writer's Nexus

Postby Carl Palmner » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:04 am

I think both the imager AND an "update board" are good ideas--could we possibly have both?

Also, can someone post a link to information on this thing of Tweek's? I'm only just now hearing about it.

When I get some time, I'll do a brief "quick explore" of all the fan Ages and come up with some more tag ideas. Then I'll look at what people have already suggested for categories and see if I can come up with a unified tag/category list. I can't really help with any of the coding or modelling (yet), but I can at least help out in that area :)
Carl Palmner

Postby nathan2055 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:11 am

GPNMilano wrote:
nathan2055 wrote:@GPNMilano - LOVE the screenshots. How about instead of having a picture imager we have a board that shows the latest updates to the Age list.

One of the reasons I was thinking of a picture imager, is sometimes people can't put names onto the places, but once they see it they recognize it. So the idea of the picture imager came in handy for those that can't remember the name of a place, but remember what it looks like. Plus you can't have too many imagers. What I could do is put a chalk board type stand towards the back of the Nexus, between two of the banners. That can be updated with the latest changes to the age list, but that is a bit redundant since that's what I assume most shard owners would use the other imager for.

nathan2055 wrote:By GUI, do you mean fixing the millions of bugs in the current Nexus, or implementing the new categories? Tweek is working on a Nexus GUI he mentioned at the other thread.
By GUI I meant programming from scratch a new Nexus Interface. Tweek's proposals are something I saw last year that sparked my interest in a number of things. Currently he's not implementing any of them (I don't think unless something's changed since the last time I talked to him.) But he was supportive of me working on those concepts, including the Nexus GUI if I recall correctly. So yes the GUI would be as close to Tweek's as possible since it's based off his concept. Modeling it is not an issue, that's fairly easy, it's the python side of it that's a pain, especially if we add more to the concept, as it will quickly become as complicated as our current Nexus. Hence why I asked diafero to help me program it.

First, I had a good idea. The system (like the Bevin visitor counter) would post the latest Age updates to a imager to the left, and then, on a admin only Age known as the ADB (Admin Dashboard), Shard Admins can edit an imager there, which reflects the right imager in the WNexus.

As for viewing the Age, you could click a little button in the Nexus GUI, and then you can scroll through pictures of the Age. The IC story for that is we use a modified version of Atrus's Rime viewing crystals.

I also wish we could implement Tweek's concepts for the regular Nexus.
Community Nexus Project
nathan2055

Postby kaelisebonrai » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:13 pm

uh... you do realise having that "Admin dashboard" thingo would be more of a hinderance than a help, right? =P
Last edited by kaelisebonrai on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaelisebonrai

Re: Our own Nexus

Postby Paradox » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:15 pm

I've merged the topics and moved this to Builders, since it's not Drizzle/OfflineKI related.
Paradox

PreviousNext

Return to Building