Escher's Relativity is doable

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Escher's Relativity is doable

Postby Calena » Wed May 15, 2013 8:51 pm

And the second file is done! Tach - you have a PM with links to the files.
Galatians 2: 20-21

"Don't mess with me today. I have my CAPS LOCK key and I know how to use it!"
Calena

Postby tachzusamm » Wed May 22, 2013 7:50 am

Just to keep you informed:
I received Calena's files, and I will try my best to keep the Relativity standard as high as it was in the first place. *grin*
Just don't expect me to do this in a hurry. :oops:

In my opinion, most examples of pure designs (not especially related to Age building, but included) are based on the fact that someone's "eagerly waiting" - especially the designer itself.
I can't do it this way. My apologies, but if you want me to get involved, it will take a while.

This does not mean of course the thread should stop here until tach reports back. Don't wait for tach. Just continue to post ideas, or maybe objects to add, or simply discuss.

My first impression: Calena did a good job. You will see. Later. ;)
tachzusamm

Postby Karkadann » Wed May 22, 2013 9:34 am

tachzusamm wrote:I will try my best to keep the Relativity standard as high as it was in the first place. *grin*

UH oh that might not necessarily be a good thing I think the version that you started with was a direct import from AutoCad to Max before I had a chance to do some details and knew how to clean up the mess the import process made :oops:

Eagerly waiting yes, patient .........I'll learn. Their is more to this community age thing then I ever anticipated.
So thank you for being so patient with me, there is far more to learn here then I realized.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Calena » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:33 am

Quick update, just in case anyone is wondering. Work is still progressing on the age. Tach is doing what he does best, which is making certain every single pixel and letter in the code is precisely perfect. I only wish I had that kind of dedication. As it turns out, I did break something in spite of all my efforts not to :oops: . Fortunately, Tach discovered it, advised me, and I was able to do a trace back and get it right again. Phew!

For my part, I've had my nose buried in studies still trying to get a solid comprehension of modern lighting techniques. Every time I think I know everything I need to know, something else pops up that isn't quite right. I've also been studying the Relativity .blend file and I now understand a whole lot more about quite a few techniques that I wasn't too clear on before. Andy's tutorials are good as far as they go, but they don't delve too far into more advanced work. The Relativity file picks up where Andy left off. Oh, and we've added a few new techniques ;) .

Happy building!

Calena

Postby tachzusamm » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:07 am

Another update.

I know that some of you (hopefully many) are waiting for the next release of Relativity. And I'm sure especially the contributors are curious to see their contributions used in the Age. And I promise, you will not get disappointed.
When I started in Relativity with the Subworlds tech, the texturing and the lighting, I wanted it to appear in an astounding level of quality, to show what we can do even with this old Plasma. I wanted textures that are detailed even in close-up views. Something to look at, a pleasing look, to let the player feel "let's stay here for a while to enjoy the environment".
The first release was far from perfect. No music, the house's walls just cut-off at their ends, and zero items in the gardens.

I could have released just an update with your contributions, the table, doors, sunflower in the vase, some trees and plants, and the sofa. But because I started with building again to fine-tune what calena did - and most of this was already good - I got my fun in building back. Christian had interesting ideas of giving the house roofs, so I started to add roofs as well. And the house looked somehow strange when seen from various locations, so I decided to add more walls here and there, to make the appearance more believeable.
And while building, I got more ideas about what can or should be added. I shouldn't have started with building again, but now I'm in the process and I can't stop.
It's unfortunately a slow process, because Relativity is complex and changes have to be done carefully to not disturb the functionality. But it's coming out nicely, it will however still take a while.

So please be patient.
If you have any idea of what should be added in addition, or want own contributions included, let me know.

~Tach
tachzusamm

Postby Deledrius » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:25 am

That sounds amazing. :D
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Christian Walther » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:49 pm

It is, I can tell you that from what tach showed me when we were discussing roofs and walls. Worth any wait. 8-)

One thing about the sofa that you just reminded me of: It seems a bit of a shame that where it is placed now, you can only sit on it in one direction. It would be nice to have it at an intersection of two walkable planes, so it works in both directions. But maybe you tried that and it doesn’t work in any of the places I’m thinking of, I haven’t checked.
Christian Walther

Postby Calena » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:19 pm

Tach is doing an outstanding job, which is really not surprising when it comes to tachzusamm :). But if he gets that chair working on both sides, we're going to have to raise him from being a Master Age Builder to something like Supreme Master Unbelievable Age Writer! The initial house itself was incredible; I can't wait to see this when it's done. I will be patient. I will be patient. Yes I will! Plenty for me to study and learn while I wait.

Calena

Postby Sirius » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:02 pm

I was wondering what was the current progress too. I'm really happy to know it's growing to something with nice visual quality. We really don't have enough Fan Ages with good visual quality.
Sirius

Postby Calena » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:13 am

Tach gave me a sneak peek at the progress he's made working on the Relativity House. I've been building some models here and there at his request, so I guess he felt I deserved a peek ;) .

I expected it to be very good. I knew what had already been done and I know the quality standards that we're trying to hold to. But I didn't expect what I saw. The only word I can think of to describe it is . . . exquisite. It's absolutely beautiful and fascinating and fun. Waiting on Tachzusamm to complete what he's doing will be well worth it :P .

Calena

PreviousNext

Return to Building