Escher's Relativity is doable

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Escher's Relativity is doable

Postby matthornb » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks for the link, I'll see if I can use any of this geometry as a starting point.
I was gone the past four days on a Labor day weekend family vacation but I'm back now. Will try to make some progress on this during the next few weeks.

Also thank you for the compliment, Karkadann. Glad you liked the D'ni Temple.
matthornb

Postby BenB » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:48 pm

Karkadann wrote:I tryed opening the OBJ in Max, its all one piece and nearly crashed my Max program

That’s because the full model is made of 300,000 faces, over half a million triangles.
Every step is seriously rounded, the step corners alone are 27 faces each. Each banister support has about 600 faces. This guy was not building this model for game use.

And you’re right: because the guy saved the .obj file with faces shared by multiple groups, it cannot be opened as separate objects. Also, from looking at a few of the objects, it appears that he has not set up UV mapping on much of anything. Plus, his plants are not exactly things of beauty!

So altogether, seems like you’re probably better off continuing to work with what you already have.
However, if it’s of any use to you, here’s a .fbx version of it, that should import into Max okay, as separate objects. (should be available for one week)
Y-up...not that it should matter in this case! :D
BenB

Postby Karkadann » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:14 pm

I don't think FBX is not supported by Max 7 or at least not my version although I may be able to find a plug in for it I mainly posted it as an example or reference not for game use

I did manage to separate some of the plants I was gonna put them in the prp file with the tables and chairs just to see how it looks, but plazma turned around and said "no you aint"
it seems that even the plants alone are so heavy as far as faces and lines it would not export even after breaking them down in three parts, I kinda knew it was done for artistic reasons and not for a game engine.
Although an excellent job and more detail then I had done in my version the one thing I did notice is its missing the bamboo plants.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby BenB » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:23 pm

I don't think FBX is not supported by Max 7 or at least not my version

Really? If you go to File/Import.../ then doesn't the pull-up in that panel's bottom right corner offer an option that says Autodesk (*.FBX, *.DAE) ???
BenB

Postby Karkadann » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:57 pm

I just double checked, it has AutoCAD Drawing (*DWG, DXF) and AutoCAD (*DWG) So I tryed Kaydara (*FBX) and got this.
Max 7 is about 12 years old it may just be that the FBX file version is to new for it to import
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby BenB » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:27 pm

Here's the 2006 version FBX plug-in for Max 7.
Zipfile inside a zipfile, read Installnotes.txt.
Hope that works for you, .fbx is a very helpful file transfer method.
BenB

Postby Chacal » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:49 pm

I just had to drop this in here.

Escher.jpg
Escher.jpg (30.42 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Karkadann » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:50 am

HAHAHAHAHA :lol:
Karkadann

Postby janaba » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:50 am

Great find ... :lol: ... I love your signature btw, Chacal ... :)
janaba

Postby Ehren » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Hate to be annoying, but just wonder if there is still work being done on Relativity? Awhile ago it was talked about updating it with some furniture. Just wondering if it's still a work in progress or if it's in its final form. Either way it is a cool place and cool idea though.
Ehren

PreviousNext

Return to Building