What Age are you working on?

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: What Age are you working on?

Postby bnewton81 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:32 pm

You guys are all doing such amazing things. Guess I'm going to have to get to work now. Good thread. Nice to see what is being accomplished
bnewton81

Postby Tweek » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:39 pm

A wild Tweek appears!

Tweek uses screenshot.

It's super effective.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby ZURI » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:24 pm

Sorry for the lack of screenshots, but there are some in another thread. Lately, the team has been working on Tar'sahl, Pahra Prad, Rehahts, and a few that I can't mention at this time. All relate to the story of the Children of Yahvo (Eder Bahreltahn).
MOULagain KI: 45001
ZURI

Postby ametist » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:27 am

Ages for school - hope to show them soon! :)
ametist

Postby Aloys » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:12 pm

There are some nice Ages being worked on here.
Tweek wrote:A wild Tweek appears!
Tweek uses screenshot.
It's super effective.

Nice; more Fahets on the way. :) (heck; it's been a while since I checked Beneath..)

Doobes wrote:Here's the one I've been working with on and off for the last few years now...Eder Rastekesh:

Looks really good, especially now that it's no longer black. :p Somehow it reminds me a bit of Myst..

Chloe wrote:And by now we're all aware of just what it is I'm working on: DIRT always working on that.

Do you think you can publish a version by the end of this year? That'd be great.

Chacal wrote:
Aloys wrote:What Age are you working on?
:(

That's.. way too much. :? (and I thought I was spreading myself too much with 7 ages..)
Aloys

Postby Paradox » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:38 pm

Been working off and on with a concept for several years now (since 2007 at least)... I've rebuilt the terrain 3 or 4 times, but I think I've finally gotten it to a point where I'm happy with it.

For the past year it's been built in Blender 2.5x, meant to be used as a testing ground for PyPRP2, but unfortunately due to PhysX, PyPRP2 can't export for MOUL on Linux. :( Maybe we'll see it running in Plasma once Bullet has replaced PhysX.

My big challenge now is going to be texturing. I've built it as a single mesh so far, so that it can be split up into various easier-to-manage pieces, but I foresee a lot of issues in getting textures to not have visible seams.

Paradox

Postby bnewton81 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:25 am

Paradox, why did you allow triangles in your mesh? Don't they cause tearing to the textures? Looks great btw. Just wondering about this. Is there a rule about when you can and can't use triangles?
bnewton81

Postby dendwaler » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:42 am

Just wondering about this. Is there a rule about when you can and can't use triangles?

I do not understand your question.
AFAIK you can alway's use triangles as much as you want.
The result depends only on a proper UV lay out.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby D'Lanor » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:56 am

If I am not mistaken Uru only uses triangles anyway. So even if you use rectangles they will be converted to triangles upon export.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Aloys » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:41 am

The reason people favor using quads over triangles is because most UV mapping tools works better with triangles, and some only work with triangles.
That being said, nothing prevents anyone from working with triangles or even Ngons if you want.
In any case, Blenders UV tools aren't exactly great IMO; so in my experience using quads or triangles doesn't make a lot of difference..

Dox: this looks good; very organic. I like the multi-leveled structure. You must have spend a bit of time on this. Is that the ice Age you started working on wayyyy back?
UV mapping complex landscapes is always a pain, but it's possible. It all depends on the amount of time you are ready to spend on it. :P With decals, and vertex alpha painting there are many possibilities. Look at what is done in Gira, Relto, or the Cleft, for instance. It is quite time consuming though; especially if you want to use the Gira trim decal technique.. Vertex alpha painting gives decent results though, and it is much easier to use.
Aloys

PreviousNext

Return to Building