Release of my Age SOMEWHERE.

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Release of my Age SOMEWHERE.

Postby diafero » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:49 am

Is this an update to Somewhere, in that all the old content continues to be available in the new version? If yes, I can just make it an update in UAM as well, and use the same package.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby denost2 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:23 pm

diafero wrote:Is this an update to Somewhere, in that all the old content continues to be available in the new version? If yes, I can just make it an update in UAM as well, and use the same package.

If I understand correctly your question, my answer is NO.

Folder dat : names and contents of the 7 files are different (In particular Identification Number is modified: 179 for Somewhere2)
Folder sdl : name of the unique file is different and the content is also different
Folder python : the name of the .pak file is different and the 3 constitutive files are different in their content
Folder sfx : in this folder the files are the same than those in somewhere

In fact in order to be the most secure I decided that Somewhere2 will be considered as a new Age.
The storyline and the physical world are the same.
But script is completely modified, and names of files have been modified in accordance of the Age (Somewhere to Somewhere2)
And I used this opportunity to correct some errors in various ways.

So I keep my suggestion to destroy the previous and replace it by the new one.

I hope my answer is complete.
Please let me know if you need more informations
denost2

Postby janaba » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Dearest denost2, I was just exploring your amazing age a bit ... this is soooo vast, sooo huge ... I can only faintly
imagine how much time and efforts, working hours and dedication went into this world, though you cannot call this
an age anymore, this is a game in itself ... Thanks for your perseverance and patience to improve this even more ... :P

As of the two versions now available I must say that it was actually really cool and funny to have them both for
direct comparison ... being able to link from somewhere to somewhere2 and back and forth lol was absolutely
awesome and just fun ... :D

The age is really enhanced and improved in many ways and it feels stable for me, you can walk and swim about
easily and I am still impressed by the vastness and the many places to explore even underground which I've
discovered by chance when I suddenly unknowingly fell through the ground lol as I walked by a huge entrance
in the mountain which I tried to get to ... and in general I believe it was only the tip of the iceberg of this
whole world and story which I got to explore ... So many great sounds and awesome music along the way
and I love to sit and read the imager entries on my pathways ... Btw one thing I know, the next time I'll
take an ashtray or maybe two with me lol, just imagine there must have been explorers or maybe 'someone
else' before me and they've placed their cigarettes at the edge of the table in one of the rest rooms ... 8-)

Yeah, got to explore some more and I can't wait to find out where this all will lead me to ...
Thanks again, denost2 ... What an awesome job ... :P
janaba

Postby diafero » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:23 am

The storyline and the physical world are the same.
But script is completely modified, and names of files have been modified in accordance of the Age (Somewhere to Somewhere2)
And I used this opportunity to correct some errors in various ways.
That's what I was looking for - for the user not knowing the filenames and stuff, this is like an update, so I can make it one. The tools will take care of deleting the old files and installing the new, so all should be fine.

I copied the img folder (linking image and age descriptor) from the old version, hoping that is okay. If you want the age to have an age description in Relto or a custom book cover, have a look at the technical Offline KI documentation and the UAM packaging guide.
The package you uploaded missed one sound file: VersantFaAmb.ogg. I copied it from the old version. It also contained a bunch of sound files not used by the age: blzewind1.ogg, GoutteCav1.ogg, LaserGlaJP1.ogg, PorteGlaJP1.ogg, ThunderJP1.ogg, tictac1.ogg, VideJP3.ogg. I removed them from the package.

The age is now available on the Shard and UAM :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby janaba » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:44 am

Great, diafero ... The old 'Somewhere' was correctly uninstalled by Drizzle and the 'Somewhere2' files installed,
the age is called 'Somewhere' without 2 in the (Relto shelf) book and the Nexus, and called Somewhere2 in the KI,
but I think that was expected and intentionally left as it was ... In case you're interested I'd like you to know
that Drizzle doesn't like or accept this handling as it leaves the Somewhere entry red as if not installed, but it
is and is working properly ... :P

Edit: I just thought I'd upload a pic so that you see how it looks like now

Drizzle Somewhere.jpg
Drizzle Somewhere.jpg (55.93 KiB) Viewed 3858 times
janaba

Postby denost2 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:17 pm

diafero wrote:The age is now available on the Shard and UAM

Thank you Diafero. I hope explorers will enjoy

janaba wrote:Thanks again, denost2

It is a pleasure for me to allow explorer to dream

Now I will be free to continue the development of new adventures...
denost2

Postby Annabelle » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:32 pm

Thank you very much Denost for this new release.

I've tried it yesterday and it's what I was expecting your age to be. You really putted a great (2nd) effort in it and now it's enjoyable to explore it. I already found it a great age for exploration, now it's perfect because of the improved playability :)
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby diafero » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:12 am

In case you're interested I'd like you to know
that Drizzle doesn't like or accept this handling as it leaves the Somewhere entry red as if not installed, but it
is and is working properly ... :P
Oops, I totally forget that. Drizzle actually supports this behaviour, you just have to tell it. Which is what I just did, so after downloading the new UAM age list it should be all right.

The old 'Somewhere' was correctly uninstalled by Drizzle and the 'Somewhere2' files installed,
the age is called 'Somewhere' without 2 in the (Relto shelf) book and the Nexus, and called Somewhere2 in the KI,
but I think that was expected and intentionally left as it was
Actually it should be called "Somewhere" everywhere, since the "2" is just internal and there is no reason for an explorer to see it (unless, of course, denost wants the age to be called "Somewhere 2" everywhere, but it was my understanding that in terms of user experience as well as in-character, this is an update to Somewhere and therefore the same age, even though technically it is not).
I just tried, and the KI says "Somewhere" when I log in, both offline and on Deep Island. Of course, if you want to link there, you have to type "/link Somewhere2" because "/link" expects the age filename, not the age display name. Unfortunately, the sound does not work on DI, but that's probably the old link-in-imto-region problem.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby janaba » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:33 am

Yes, the 'Somewhere' entry in Drizzle is showing up correctly now, thank you, diafero,
my KI is still showing 'Somewhere2' though ... /shrug ... :P

KI Somewhere2.jpg
KI Somewhere2.jpg (58.52 KiB) Viewed 3809 times
janaba

Postby diafero » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:45 am

Oh, it also says "Unknown age", which means that actually, the KI does not know the age at all.
I just gave Drizzle some more hints to properly remove the old version of the age. Could you please try getting the latest UAM list again, and then re-installing the latest version of Somewhere?
Also, please make sure you have version 3.8 of the Offline KI installed.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Building