Uru is OURS

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Uru is OURS

Postby Dachannien » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:35 pm

There are a lot of details that need hammered out here, and I don't think the chaos of the numerous different forums, each with numerous different threads, is going to cut it.

What would be more helpful is a series of live online chats. The first would obviously be some serious Q&A with the Cyantists to figure out exactly what they have in mind, what the architecture of the system will be, what their role and our role will be, and what will be fair game versus off-limits in terms of Cyan-created content. The results of the chat have to be conclusory in nature and well-documented so that there's no confusion about what's going on.

Assuming enough of the questions get answered at that point, the second chat would be more to determine what roles each guild will play, how various resources-at-large would best be used, what specific projects will be started (tidying up Plasma, writing a BitTorrent age distribution system or setting up a tracker for obtaining age torrents, documentation for the various facets of age creation/hosting/management, to name a few) and who will work on them.

At that point, hopefully, there will be a consensus on how things will work, and we'll be past the brainstorming stage and into the implementation stage with a single set of ideas and goals remaining.

The one thing that will make this project die a gruesome death is for people to be unwilling to agree on a single plan and then stick to that plan. There are enough people involved that we can't just put one person in charge of making all the decisions, and we can't hold a vote every time there's a disagreement because that leads to chaos. So pick a plan from the outset, document it fully, and let that plan be in charge, so to speak.

On a side note, I'm really excited by all of this! Even the chance to peek at some source code is exciting, but I'm really looking forward to getting back into the Cavern and/or other people's imaginations, not to mention sharing some things that have been floating around in my own imagination for some time now. :)
Dachannien

Postby teedyo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:14 am

Paradox wrote:My goal is a plGLPipeline using OpenGL to port Uru/Plasma natively to Linux and Mac.

Echo that sentiment.

Along with optimizing the client, server and communications while keeping Cyan appraised of the level of success/failure.

Unfortunately; I see a large project possibly(probably?) taking a couple of years.
teedyo

Postby Zrax » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:49 am

Chacal wrote:My memory fails me. Have I heard a few months ago that MOUL was hosted on Windows servers instead of Linux?

That will likely be the first thing I'll want to work on with the source :P
Zrax

Postby JWPlatt » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:35 am

Hi folks.

Just here to share the joy.

Have a nice day!

You too, BAD.

;)

Oh, will this guild still be just about building ages? Or will it be expanding into client/server development?

Something to think about...
OpenUru.org: An Uru project resource site.
Perfect speed is being there.
JWPlatt

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:00 am

Anybody know what language this source code is written in? Python, C++...?
Jennifer_P

Postby diafero » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:02 am

I can completely second these mixed feelings. Once that huge bunch of code starts getting to us, I imagine me spending days browsing through it to see how Cyan did things ;-) .
However, there still is one question which I would like to be answered: Are we allowed to distribute Cyan-created files via our own dataservers or other downloads? And under what circumstances, with what restrictions? I understood their announcement to hot a dataserver as "you can have the source code, but we will still be the ones hosting the files - the only ones". There could be a way to build some kind of dataserver that fetches added fan-ages from a server we manage while still fetching the Cyan ages from their servers, meaning we could do everything with our ages as long as we leave their ages intact. But as soon as we start patching or extending their ages, this question has to be answered.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Lontahv » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:41 am

Jennifer_P wrote:Anybody know what language this source code is written in? Python, C++...?

C++, we already have all the Python code for Uru (.pak). :D

Python is used as an API language for Plasma. It uses Boost to interface with Python (Uru CC does at least).

Actually, we already know a frighteningly large amount of how Plasma works. :P I'm going to be really glad to have C++ code to look at rather than assembler. 8-)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby JWPlatt » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:23 am

I'd be really interested in seeing a list of surprises you all might find in the code. Golden nuggets you've always wondered about. How much good code, how much bad, etc. That would be a fun read.
OpenUru.org: An Uru project resource site.
Perfect speed is being there.
JWPlatt

Postby Jojon » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:52 am

I expect looking over a switch to another database system and evaluating the possibilites to streamline and perhaps compress runtime data traffic- and handling, will be *the* priority for a certain portion our coder population -- while content may vary between servers, the infrastructure should be universal and preferrably not fundamentally altered more than once.
Jojon

Postby Erik » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:18 am

Well, everyone will be looking to the Writers in the coming period. The community won't grant you sleep until Uru is up and running. :lol: ;) But seriously, a lot of responsibility will be placed upon the Writers. I hope the other Guilds will be able to aid the Writers with this grand task. I can't wait for the future.

And... you will try to fix the Wall, won't you? Please? :D
Erik

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion