Importing UruCC Ages Into Blender

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Importing UruCC Ages Into Blender

Postby Rabbit » Wed May 08, 2013 7:42 am

I did this a long time ago, but have rebuilt my system and for the life of me, can't remember how I did this.

I want to import an UruCC Age into Blender. I have installed Blender 2.45 and put the contents of H-Uru-PyPRP-1.6.1-6-g66dd0b9.zip into the default installation path C:Program Files(x86)/Blender Foundation/Blender2.45/.blender/scripts and in there I have additional directory pyprp1.6 with a load of stuff in it.

(I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Pro incidentally)

When I run Blender, under File > Import > (loads of stuff), but nothing for PyPRP. Although it is there under File > Export.

The background DOS window says Compiled with Python version 2.5. Checking for installed Python...got it! (Its actually version 2.5.4.)

I have tried altering the file paths to where H-uru-PyPRP is and where pyprp 1.6 is, to no avail.

Can someone tell me how and where can I make Blender see Import > PyPRP, is there something else I need to install or is there a better/easier way to import Ages?

Thanks in advance.
Rabbit

Re: Importing UruCC Ages Into Blender

Postby Sirius » Wed May 08, 2013 8:46 am

I would say you have a wrong version of the plugin. I don't know any zipped version called H-Uru-PyPRP-1.6.1-6-g66dd0b9.zip though, so I can't be sure of this. But the import feature has been disabled in latest versions.

The only links to the importer I know are in the wiki, and I think one of the versions on deep island. The wiki versions are fine, but don't import textures. Try one of these if it doesn't show up in your version.

Otherwise, you could uncomment the first lines of prp_import.py (remove the # symboles), but there is a reason for some versions to be disabled: it often fails to read the PRP.
Sirius

Postby Rabbit » Sun May 12, 2013 9:41 am

Thanks Sirius. Story so far - I have scrubbed Blender (2.45) off and reinstalled it. I have added gow-pyprp-1.3.1 and PyYAML-3.10.win32-py2.5. I also put in Import Scripts and PRPImporter. Now when I run Blender I see PRPRP option under File > Import. But when I select Full Age or Single Age, I get a popup "Python Script Error - Check Console."

On the Console, I see two warning about Myst 5 Files disabled! (I'm not looking to import Myst 5 files)

But I do get

Traceback <most recent call last>
File "<string>", line 53, in <module>
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\alcresmanager.py", line 39, in <module>
from alcprpfile import *
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\alcprpfile.py", line 25, in <module>
from alc_AnimClasses import *
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\alc_AnimClasses.py", line 34, in <module>
import md5, random, binascii, cStringIO, copy, Image, math, struct, StringIO, os, os.path, pickle
ImportError: No module named Image

(whatever all that means!!!)

I am trying to put some words together for submission to the Guild Wiki to help anyone with this process - as soon as I can actually do this.
Rabbit

Postby Christian Walther » Sun May 12, 2013 10:58 am

Rabbit wrote:ImportError: No module named Image

You need the Python Imaging Library. There's a download link on the PyPRP Age Importer wiki page (“Image library”), I haven’t tested if that version works.
Christian Walther

Postby Rabbit » Tue May 14, 2013 4:06 am

Many thanks Christian, just what was missing.

Which brings up another couple of questions...

This process brings in a number of Ages, but not all of them. Just my luck that the Age I really want, Bevin, is one which won't import, save a few pieces of the rock garden. Is there a way around this?

Secondly, If I could get hold of a version of 3ds, is there a method of importing Ages into 3ds?

Thanks to all who helped...
Rabbit

Postby Sirius » Tue May 14, 2013 10:42 am

Nope, the only way to import Ages is through Blender. Cyan didn't create an importer for Max.

I have added gow-pyprp-1.3.1 and PyYAML-3.10.win32-py2.5. I also put in Import Scripts and PRPImporter.
It's not a good idea to mix up all those versions of PyPRP IMHO. I recommend using the latest, export-only version of PyPRP on Blender 2.49, and either ImportScripts or PRPImporter on 2.45.

I've tried again, and managed to import the whole of Bevin without trouble (and without textures). I'm using the Earlier Stable version (PRPImporter).
Sirius

Postby GPNMilano » Tue May 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Maybe it's time I throw up the latest version of the importer. It's a bit of a mix of dustin's changes and my own. It imports Both CC and Drizzled Myst V/MOUL/MagiQuest ages with all the textures still on them. So the file would be pretty large once imported (you can fix this however by simply disabling the packed files through the external data command.) You can find the latest version here. PRPImporter Latest
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Karkadann » Tue May 14, 2013 2:24 pm

Its too bad you cant import the ages threw Blender and then convert them to 3DS.

Although I have replicated some of Cyans meshes from some of their ages, I have never replicated an entire Cyan age. if their is any item you need for your age I may be able to help
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Christopher » Wed May 15, 2013 3:09 am

I am currently trying to write a pulgin for Max, but it seems Max don't like my pugin and decides to crash instead of importing the prp...

Christopher
Christopher

Postby Sirius » Wed May 15, 2013 5:11 am

Thank you very much Chloe, the only importer I know importing textures often crashes on importing (that's the PyPRP export plugin after re-enabling the import option).

I was wondering, does it now apply the correct UV layer to use for textures, and does it handle texture blending mode ? (add/multiply, etc)
Sirius

Next

Return to Building