Fan Ages on the Gehn Shard

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Fan Ages on the Gehn Shard

Postby tachzusamm » Wed May 15, 2013 8:45 am

Justintime9 wrote:Mostly I use larger images now. (1000 x 1000, or 2000 x 2000.)

I don't know if this was just lazyness in writing and you actually meant 1024x1024 and 2048x2048, but using 1000x1000 or 2000x2000 is relatively useless. PyPRP exporter will scale those images down to 512x512 (from 1000x1000) or 1024x1024 (from 2000x2000). This is so because graphic cards can only handle textures with sizes of power of two, which means, allowable dimensions are starting from 2^1 = 2 up to 2^11 = 2048.
Values to choose from: 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048.
You can however mix dimensions, so a texture of size 512x1024 or 2048 x 256 is possible and will not be resized before export.

Regarding your before and after images, well, I don't know how to say that. Please forgive me, but in my opinion, the before image looked more natural. Sure, you tried to follow Tweek's example, and the after image has shadows now, but te room looks so cold, and darker than before. What Tweek did was increasing the intensity of the bluish light and let it add to the orange base lighing of the room. What you implemented was somehow replacing most of the orange base light with cold blue. The floor became darker than before, the ceiling now suddenly seems to emit blue light.
I'm really sorry Justin, I don't want to make you angry or sad, but I think I should mention it before you did too much work in upgrading Tsoidahl Prad.

So, what now? I feel talking and thinking about the tools and workflow - as we currently do - is a good idea, a nice set of tools is a basic need. But don't forget to lean back from time to time, let the image impact you, see how it looks and feels, without looking at the shadows itself, textures, lightmaps. See how a rooms feels, if you feel comfortable in it, if you want to stay in it, explore it, or feel like "get me outta here" instead.

Sure, this is the most difficult task, but in my opinion it's essential for building nice ages. I would underline what Calena said: Take a dark room (in reality), put a lamp into it, and see what the light does. How the shadows look. Note the difference in brightness at the terminator, the line between line and darkness. The sharpness of the line, depending on the distance between lamp, object, and receiver. Have a look at this a long time, not just a few seconds.

And keep in mind that shadows aren't that hard in reality. Not so hard as a rendering engine calculates them. Human eyes distinguish between many brightness levels; we can see at a starry night at about 0.001 lux, up to a bright sunny day, which is about 100,000 lux. On a computer screen, you can display only 256 different levels of brightness. But the eye/brain system can compensate, it interpretes 0=black as "no light" and 255=white as "full brightness". So it's a good idea to make shadows much more subtle than you already did. A shadow in reality, which is ten times darker than the surroundings, measured with a lux-meter, is seen by our eye only around half the brightness difference. We have to keep this in mind when building ages.

But don't let this disaffect you - nice ages *can* be built, and I'm sure you're one of those who will manage it very well.

Oh, and regarding this:
Justintime9 wrote:So I don't really know what to use Ambient occlusion for, or how I would go about using TWO separate lightmaps. Of course if it would give a better result, I'll certainly try it.

I would again recommend to open up the Relativity files. It's explained all there, plus examples.

And some words about lighmaps plus vertex paint: This sounds logical, but is not necessary in most cases. If you already have a lightmap for an object, you can do everything with it. Each brightness level from 0 to 255 (assumed your underlying texture *has* that brightness). For each pixel. You can even colorize an object with it. Mixing both lightmap plus vertex paint will mostly lead to confusion - it can not increase the 0-255 possible levels.
Vertex painting is useful as a cheap alternative to lightmaps, and sometimes easier to "paint" on the object.
It has its uses though, but only for increasing or post-enhancement of object shading. For SHADING, not for SHADOWS. That's a big difference. Tell me if you want to learn more about the difference.
tachzusamm

Postby Justintime9 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:39 am

I'll definitely have to take a look at those relativity files. And don't worry, I'm very grateful for this feedback. I did not know the importance of not just making lightmaps 1000 and 2000. And to be honest, most of the progress that I made was not so much in the actual re-light-mapping, but in learning how best to do things.I learned more about lightmaps, I found out how to edit them in Photoshop (softening the jagged edges and such.) I determined what the best light intensity was. And you can't tell from the picture, but the walls are actually mip mapped now, which adds a whole new dimension of realism. Plus, the cracks on the floor were made to be less intense, and therefore more realistic.

So essentially starting over in my lightmaping of the room isn't a huge sacrifice. I want to make sure this room is top notch before I go on to ANY of the others. It will essentially determine how I go about re-lighting the rest of the age. So feel free to tell me exactly what you think, and try your best to explain it so I can apply it. Because once I figure out how to light this room best, I can use the same strategy for the rest of the age. I'm really in no rush for this project, so I'll work on a single room for weeks if that's what it takes. It really doesn't bother me now.
Justintime9

Postby diafero » Sat May 18, 2013 3:12 am

To update the age on Deep Island, just send me a link to the files via email, or post them here, and I will upload the age on the Shard and in UAM (Shard-only releases are possible as well).
Concerning the ability to link to your age from Nexus: You as author of the age can control that yourself. Every fan-age comes with an age descriptor which specifies the user-visible name of the age. It can control some more aspects: The description of the age when it shows up in Relto, whether people can use /jump et al in your age, and whether the age will be shown in Nexus or not.
For old ages that were written prior to the introduction of age descriptors, I wrote one. For Tsoidahl Prad, it looks as follows:
displayName=Tsoidahl Prad
showIn=none
lastUpdate=2010-08-31
By removing the "showIn=none" line when you send me the update, the age will show up in Nexus again. Just include the age descriptor in the appropriate folder of your next release - see the UAM age release information for more details.

If you want to, I can also change the age descriptor of the age as it is now - however, the way I understood you is that you'd like the age to be more easily accessible with your next update, not in its current state.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Annabelle » Sat May 18, 2013 9:11 am

There's an issue with Tsoidahl Prad...

On the Deep Island shard, the age is named: "Tsoidahl Prad".
On my uru offline install, the age is named: "TsoidahlPrad".

My markers work in the shard. After exporting them to my desktop and importing them in my offline install they are some kind of useless since the age doesn't exist. I figured that out after opening my quests in Tsoidahl and nothing happened. I then compared the names on my KI screens (offline & online).

Is there something that can be done. Preferably keep "Tsoidahl Prad" if you can delete one version :lol:

EDIT: or Maybe there is a way for me to edit my quest with a text editor except it doesn't seem to work... I dared to try opening it with Bloc-Notes today ;) and it worked. Ctrl+H "Tsoidahl Prad" to "TsoidahlPrad" + Apply to all :D
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby diafero » Mon May 20, 2013 4:57 am

Now that's weird. The age should internally always be referenced by its filename, which is "TsoidahlPrad" in both cases. And actually I just checked this, for other ages it uses the filename (e.g. "spyroom"). I have no idea why it adds a space for Tsoidahl Prad...
EDIT: Oh well, it's also using the visible name for other fan ages. Thanks, Cyan, another instance of totally broken design (Offline KI just uses the information provided by set/getMarkerAge). And as Uru actually tracks several visible names for each age, it's probably using a different one than the KI for spyroom, hence it still says "spyroom" in the marker files. This makes me wonder why you were ever able to transfer missions between the Shard and the offline game, Annabelle.

I dared to try opening it with Bloc-Notes today ;) and it worked. Ctrl+H "Tsoidahl Prad" to "TsoidahlPrad" + Apply to all :D
Run for the cover, Annabelle discovered the internal format of exported marker missions. Now she is going to create even more awkward missions^^
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Justintime9 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:57 am

Let me clarify, I don't intend on releasing any updates just yet. At the moment I just want the age (as it currently is) made more accessible. Perhaps put on the relto shelf, and definitly in the Nexus. Just so I can build interest for the age before I release an update. I have a hunch that many people have not even been there considering how hidden it is. (Since you have to solve Zefora/Shinelight Manor to link there.)
Justintime9

Postby Annabelle » Mon May 20, 2013 6:26 am

diafero wrote:This makes me wonder why you were ever able to transfer missions between the Shard and the offline game, Annabelle.

Exporting & Importing Marker Quests in the Wiki on this forum is really easy to follow. Once you understand, it's easy to do it in a few seconds. http://www.guildofwriters.org/wiki/Offline_KI:Explorer_Tutorials

1) Once the game is exported, it keeps the full name of that quest: 12345 - Full Name of the Quest.mfold & 12345 - Full Name of the Quest.mlist

2) What I discovered is that we can easily make it shorter: 12345 - Q1.mfold & 12345 - Q1.mlist once exported. It doesn't matter much as the importing process will give you back in-game the full name of the quest.

3) I then compare the 2 ages (offline & online) by creating dummy quests: for example in Somewhere, I have online: "Annabelle's Somewhere Marker Game Marker" and offline: "Annabelle's Somewhere2 (Unknown Age) Marker Game Marker".

4) I open Bloc-Notes (or Notepad in english) and I click CTRL+H then change the string "where" to "where2 (Unknown Age)" let say and apply it to the whole document.

5) After than I import the quest and it's working. Since I'm limited offline (like online) on numbers of overall markers, once an age is completed I re-export all the quests and save them on my repository on my PC. On the shard, I just travel my quests from one avatar to another since in Incoming folder we can hold more markers (no limit there).
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby diafero » Sat May 25, 2013 4:42 am

Let me clarify, I don't intend on releasing any updates just yet. At the moment I just want the age (as it currently is) made more accessible. Perhaps put on the relto shelf, and definitly in the Nexus. Just so I can build interest for the age before I release an update. I have a hunch that many people have not even been there considering how hidden it is. (Since you have to solve Zefora/Shinelight Manor to link there.)
Okay, I will un-hide it. The Relto Shelf is automatically built from the age-update information, to show the most recently changed ages, so Tsoidahl Prad would not show up there... on the other hand, it never had its time on there, so I think I will still make it appear.

Exporting & Importing Marker Quests in the Wiki on this forum is really easy to follow. Once you understand, it's easy to do it in a few seconds. http://www.guildofwriters.org/wiki/Offl ... _Tutorials
Yes, I know that tutorial, I wrote it ;-) . This renaming ages is really nasty, I wasn't aware of that problem... I will add some of your tricks to that tutorial.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Justintime9 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:42 am

Thanks diafero! And regarding the relativity files... I tired downloading it, but it gave me an error saying the "the source file could not be read." Which I take to mean the link to the file is too old or something? Anyway, I can't download it for whatever reason. :P
Justintime9

Postby tachzusamm » Sun May 26, 2013 11:59 am

Please try again now, Justin. ;)
tachzusamm

PreviousNext

Return to Gehn Shard