What's happening?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

What's happening?

Postby Justintime9 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:35 am

Shorah friends,
The surface has been requiring most of my attention, and so lately I've lost track of most everything Myst related. Today, after some inspiration, I decided that I might like to get back into age creation -- I've just gotten a new computer as well, so everything must be reinstalled. I was aware that open source has supposedly come out, but nothing too major seems to be coming of it as of yet. Upon closer examination I've discovered that this whole website seems to have changed (the home page that is), and even the Wiki has disappeared! Is the old way of age creation now obsolete? The newest version of Blender appears to be a completely different program. I don't even know what plasma to download, or where to do it. Being away for so long has made me quite fuzzy on even the old way of doing things. If someone could explain, I would be very grateful. :)

~Justin
Justintime9

Re: What's happening?

Postby Luna » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:30 am

The home page was redesigned. As for the wiki it is still there. There is a link in top bar of the front page and on the forums. Direct linky : http://www.guildofwriters.org/wiki/Main_Page

The old version of age creation (the one with pyprp 1.6 and blender 2.49) still works....for offline uru and alcugs shards. Pyprp2 is being made for Blender 2.X and will also work with the MOUL engine, however it is still very much an alpha release and you cannot do a lot with it, mostly interactivity is lacking(clickables etc). If you want to make an age in which people can walk around and nothing more it works fine :P
Code: Select all
long longestTimeWithoutPlayingMoula = (new Date()) - (new Date(2014, 9, 26));
Luna

Postby Justintime9 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:37 am

Hmm... ok. I have seen the "wiki" but it is definitly not the old wiki. Where's all the tutorials? Are THEY obsolete? Perhaps it would be smarter to wait until Pyprp2 is fully developed, as that seems to be the wave of the future. The question is though, will the methods of creating an age change drastically? (AlcScript, regions, etc.)?
Justintime9

Postby andylegate » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:49 am

GoW Wiki Blender tutorials are located here at : http://www.guildofwriters.org/wiki/PyPRP

Plus my tutorials at Here.

If you decide to wait for PyPRP 2.0 to be finished, you can always play around with the Unreal SDK 3.0 or CryEngine 3.0 SDK. Read through this thread, you might find the things in it very interesting, especially once you get to page 6:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5329
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Justintime9 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:30 am

Ah, yes, that's what I was looking for. :) I think I'll try doing it all the old fashioned way until there's more news... But what about the new version of Blender? Is there any tutorial on the changes in that version? (they look pretty drastic). Oh, and since I now have a widescreen monitor, the resolution of singleplayer is always stretched. Is there a tutorial about that? (I seem to recall Jamey saying something about Plasmashop, but I don't remember exactly). Thanks for bearing with all my questions. :P
Justintime9

Postby Deledrius » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:32 pm

Justintime9 wrote:I was aware that open source has supposedly come out, but nothing too major seems to be coming of it as of yet

Actually, a decent amount has been done so far (Features of CWE/H'uru-Plasma), but there are licensing issues which prevent ready distribution of those changes in a form usable by those unable or unwilling to compile their own client.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby kaelisebonrai » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:47 am

re: Widescreen for the pots engine, there's no fix for that, or at least not a non-stretching fix.

However, for MO:ULagain, you can set the resolution using PlasmaShop, you'll need to manually edit the config file to the right resolution - and don't open the graphical settings dialogue in-game after this, you'll have to manually change the settings back after that.

On top of this, your KI-shots will look a bit weird. Its far from a perfect solution, I'm afraid.

Also, you can't use pyprp1 with the new blender version - if you want to use pyprp1, you'll need to use 2.49b, or a version around there (but definitely not a 2.5x version)
kaelisebonrai

Postby bnewton81 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:03 pm

The new version of Blender is a huge improvement in most ways. everything is much better organized and many new features have been added. PyPRP 2 won't be an alpha/beta/whatever forever, so I recommend learning the new Blender. Here are a few links that will help.

http://www.blenderguru.com/whered-that-button-go/ For finding functions that have been moved.
http://www.gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html For some very good tutorials with the new version.
bnewton81

Return to General Discussion