Introduce Yourself

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby BeckaP » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:03 pm

Hello all, I'm BeckaP. A friend introduced me to the Myst games about six months ago, and I love them! Books have always been my thing, so Books that link to Ages are just that much more awesome. (And I have read the Myst trilogy :) )

I was excited to find that one could actually create ages! I am a novice computer programmer and have done just a bit of 3d modeling. While I don't think I have enough experience to create an entire age myself, I'd like to jump in help wherever I can. I'm not exactly sure how to get started with age creation though, so if anybody could point me to a good place to start, I'd be most grateful! :)

Becka
BeckaP

Postby thepieddragon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:57 am

Hello! I'm thepieddragon, and I'm just kind-of a humble newbie who stumbled onto this and have no idea what's going on. :?

Well, okay that's not really true. I've been a huge fan of the Myst series for a long time, and have played through Uru: Complete Chronicles a few times as well. What I'm unfamiliar with (mostly) is the online portion, which I wasn't aware existed until a couple weeks ago. You see, I had always thought Cyan pulled the plug on the online part ages (no pun intended) ago, before I actually got around to playing the series at an age where I could understand the puzzles, and had no idea that they not only rebooted the servers years later, but open-sourced the engine partially so others could make their own instances. So I'm almost all of MOUL's life behind and way out of the loop.

While I have some rudimentary knowledge from scavenging for info (I know the MOULa exclusive stuff, the changes to PoTS, a few pieces of history, some currently-running shards, etc), and I understand the basic differences between different shards, I really don't know what's going on in the grand scheme of things. Can anybody maybe fill me in on the current state of Uru and it's community as it stands? Perhaps what I should try out, or avoid (outside of the obvious 'don't be evil')? Honestly I just don't want to sound like an idiot. :roll:

Otherwise, I'm just a tech nerd and gamer who enjoys tinkering with PCs and the like, and I've been looking into maybe dabbling in age creation if I can work out the tools, so hopefully that can be a thing that happens. :)
thepieddragon

Postby Pykan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Good evening,

I'm Pykan.....

I'd love to say I'm having a fantastic time here but it appears I can't login to the game.

Help me Uru1, you're my only hope.

Regards
Pykan't
Pykan

Postby Deledrius » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:13 pm

Welcome Pykan't! Since you just created your forum account, our system hasn't sync'd you over to the game server yet. Logging out and back in to the forum should do the trick, and let you become Pykan!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Drewsko » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:30 pm

Shorah, programs!

Username's Drewsko. I'm about a decade-long follower of the Myst saga and D'ni mythology, though it's sometimes been an on/off again thing. Own every game (twice over at this point once the 25th collector's set ships) and a basket full of related merchandise, plus my own crafts projects of a Riven dagger and Myst/Relto linking books. I'm also very creative in written and artistic en-devours, so a Guild like this sounds like a good fit for me. Most of my game tinkering dates back to fiddling with the Source engine, so I dunno if I could "write" my own age yet, but we'll see.

If there's one thing that defines my intrigue with the series, it's my appreciation for its titular age, Myst Island. Seeing it in URU is always a fun time, and when I first stumbled upon Drizzle it made me a very happy boy being able to walk around the island from the Myst V map, even in its decayed and abandoned state. My tinkering with the shards outside of MOULa is primarily motivated by wanting to see it again with my Uru avatar(s), so I'm trying to get Dream Island working for that regard, and keeping an eye out to see if the Gehn Shard and maybe, possibly, one day MOULa could give access to it too.
Drewsko

Previous

Return to General Discussion