Seltani: Rearranging the gallery

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Seltani: Rearranging the gallery

Postby belford » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:55 pm

I've switched the DNS over. When the change propagates (might take 24 hours depending on your location), you'll see http://seltani.net/ and http://www.seltani.net/ switch from the static journal to the game server. http://dev.seltani.net/ will continue to work.

Once that settles, I'll change dev.seltani.net to a redirect. (It will still work, but it will drop the "dev." in your browser's URL bar so that people stop bookmarking it.)
belford

Postby Pavitra » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:19 am

Looking good!

I notice that issue #129 is the last open issue for the "Non-Dev Publicity" milestone. :D
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby Pavitra » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:38 am

And we're in beta! Congratulations, everyone! (but mostly Belford)
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby belford » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:01 pm

More an admission than an advancement... you people haven't managed to crash the server once, or even force a "vault reset". I can't very well call it alpha, can I? :)
belford

Postby KathAveara » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:38 pm

Well, it hasn't been stress-tested, has it?
Moula KI: 17967159
DI KI: 00205116
deviantART: kathaveara
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists
KathAveara

Postby belford » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:08 pm

Stress-testing is the secret part of my gamejam plan. :)
belford

Postby belford » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:09 pm

A schedule!

- Sunday, Nov 10, 1 pm Eastern time: Opening ceremony in the Seltani district plaza. At that point I will announce the theme.

(The theme is just for inspiration. The ceremony is optional, too -- I'll add the theme to this post once I announce it.)

- Nov 10-23: Work on your Age! (Or Ages; multiple entries is cool.) When it's ready, add it to the bookshelf in the Seltani plaza. Or if you want to go for the dramatic reveal, wait and add it on...

- Sunday, Nov 24, 1 pm Eastern time: Wrap-up. Meet back in the plaza, start visiting Ages. We can have group tours over the course of the afternoon, and then hang out and discuss what we've seen.

(I know that the meeting time is not ideal for everybody in every time zone. I have schedule restrictions too, so I just picked a time. If you can't be at either ceremony or both, I apologize -- follow along on the blog or the forums.)

I will be around these on-line areas (including Seltani itself) to answer questions during the two-week period. Hope to see you there.

EDIT-ADD: Jam theme: "Remaining Light". (Interpret that however you want.)
Last edited by belford on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
belford

Postby Pavitra » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:06 am

It would be super nice if there could be some sort of alert or notification when something happens while I'm in another tab/window. A sound playing, the window title changing, something like that. Currently if I want to lurk/idle somewhere public I have to remember to keep checking back in frequently, which (1) uses up a lot of attention and (2) has a high latency – minutes rather than seconds – between someone talking and me noticing.

In other words, Seltani is currently not very friendly to multitasking. I can have other things in the background while playing Seltani, but I can't have Seltani in the background while doing other things. (Compare IRC, IM, facebook, etc.)

I think this would be a big boost for adoption, since it would make it much easier to encounter other people in the game, creating more reason to log in, and so forth. Population in a multiplayer game is a positive feedback loop, and idling-with-alerts can make the difference between lively and deserted.
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby belford » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:46 am

Good point -- I've added an issue for this.
belford

Postby KathAveara » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:01 am

I second Pavitra's post.
Moula KI: 17967159
DI KI: 00205116
deviantART: kathaveara
tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists
KathAveara

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion