Just a friendly warning.

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Just a friendly warning.

Postby Goofy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:40 am

Words of warning to everyone. When building your ages I suggest to save your projects on atleast 1 other location. If you can get one of the jump drives or an external drive. So if you computer dies for whatever reason you have it backed up.

Moday I'm rebuilding my system since I found that the CPU died and I don't know if things on my harddrive are still there or completely corrupted. All my age ideas and models were on my main C: drive. I still have some stuff on 2 external drives, but everything else is on my C: drive.

I normally use external drives myself, but I forgot to backup things as I normally do. :( I'm hoping I can just connect the drives I had as slave drives and still have things there, but only time with tell.
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Re: Just a friendly warning.

Postby BAD » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:09 pm

Very sound advice. I wish it didn't come from experience.

I try to back up everything important on CDs or DVDs, but I to have been slacking (imagine that!), so I better take heed.

I hope you can get your stuff back Goofy.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Grogyan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:01 pm

I can no longer back up any thing important, as there is way way to much to back up ina ny session.

I doubt that your work is gone, maybe all that happens is Windows has a hissy fit, just slot in a quad core cpu and it should be happy as pi, mmm pi.
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Jennifer_P » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:43 pm

:( Poor Goofy!

But that's sound advice, to back everything up. The Ages of Ilathid project lost a lot of data when a hacker got into the server and erased it. Now various people back up everything in multiple places, so that even if one server's files are destroyed for some reason, another copy of the data survives.
Jennifer_P

Postby Goofy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:44 am

now I have a question about raid arrays. I had a mirroring raid array and when I tried to rebuild it nothing would happen. it just froze.

So I decided to just disable my raid and connect my sata drives up as normal drives. To my surprize it booted with no problem. I had to reactivate windows and install my new motherboards drivers, but I was wondering is this normal? also is it stable?

It seems to be stable. no strange noises or anything. So I'm still afraid to do anything major till I know its safe.

Oh, my new system is a KN9 SLI AM2 Nvidia nForce 570 SLI
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0 ghz
Gskill 2GB DDR2 ram
Everything else is the same. 2 WD Caviar SE 80gig drives and 2 external drives
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Postby mckendall » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:03 pm

Mirroring arrays are actually a direct copy, you are writing to both drives the same info at the same time. By disabling the array you effectively turned them into seperate Hard Drives . Yes it is stable this way,but you have lost your back up redundancy. Rebuilding the array(raid) will allow you to have the security of a backed up copy of your work should anything else happen.
mckendall

Postby Kedri » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:55 pm

Ouch. Sorry about your age, Goofy! :(
Kedri: Modeller and writer. KI# 72427
ImageImageImage
NaNoWriMo '07!
Kedri

Return to General Discussion