Remember when you first set foot in the City? The mystery, the thrill of discovering new areas around each corner?
The time has come to start exploring Aegura again, after all this time, for there are new open areas in the City. Places you have always wanted to explore are now open!
I have explained here and here how I came to do this.
Now I present you with this challenge: you must find all the new places I have opened in the City. When you find a new area, you can post (stake your discoverer's claim) in this thread.
Rules, disclaimers and admonitions
- You only compete against yourself, not others. Try to see if you can find all areas, and take your time walking around and taking in the new sights. Remember, new stuff doesn't come to the City that often, so make it last!
- Don't cheat! Sure you can go wherever you want in fly mode, but what's the fun in that?
- Only man-made (artificial) areas are solid ground. The natural island (huge rock stalagmites) is not, and if you jump on it you will fall through.
- You should be able to walk / run / jump to all new areas, following paths that make sense. For instance, a door could very well hide a new passage. A solid rock wall will not.
- I have made no change to visible objects. All new areas existed before and could be seen in flymode, but were not solid. I didn't want to alter Cyan's art.
- Because of this, you may have to walk through some objects such as doors, rocks, barriers, etc. Nothing is perfect.
- Also because of this, some new areas look weird because they lack textures. They were never meant to be seen. Nothing is perfect.
- I have made no provision for your safety. Some of these areas are dangerous, the DRC kept them closed for a reason. If you jump into a pit, you will go splat at the bottom, unless a) it's a bottomless pit or b) you carry your Relto book. I haven't put up any barriers, and anyway you can't trust those anymore as they may not be solid anymore.
- Some areas can only be reached with a well-aimed jump. Expect a few trips back to Relto at first.
- The changes only apply to the City, not the neighborhood. The tutorial lets you change the Watcher's Pub.
Remember, always backup your files first! These are the files to backup for this challenge:
Making the changes
I have posted a short tutorial here explaining how to apply the changes to your Uru (not MOUL) installation. This will make it easy for you to apply the recipe.
Here's the recipe for the changes. It takes around 8 minutes to apply. The .uof files are in the attached .zip file (see the attachment at the end of this post).
- Code: Select all
Delete city/canyon/Generic Physical/CanyonProxyTerrain
Delete city/courtyard/Generic Physical/CourtyardCollisionArena
Delete city/courtyard/Generic Physical/CityBlocker15Collision
Delete city/courtyard/Generic Physical/TentCollide
Delete city/ferry/Generic Physical/CollisionNoCamDock
Delete city/ferry/Generic Physical/CAveEndProxy
Delete city/ferry/Generic Physical/FerryCollisionArena01
Add "NewFloor2" to city/ferry/Scene Node/city_District_ferry
Delete city/greatstair/Generic Physical/DakotahRoofProxy
Add "NewFloor1" to city/greatstair/Scene Node/city_District_greatstair
Delete city/KahloPub/Generic Physical/kpBackDoor
Delete city/KahloPub/Generic Physical/KpWallsCollision
Delete city/Library/Generic Physical/LibraryTentCollision
Delete city/Library/Generic Physical/Library2ndFLextCollider
Delete city/LibraryInterior/Generic Physical/Curtain01
Delete city/LibraryInterior/Generic Physical/Curtain02
Delete city/MuseumInteriorPage/Generic Physical/invisibleBarricadeBlocker01
Delete city/MuseumInteriorPage/Generic Physical/invisibleBarricadeBlocker02
Delete city/MuseumInteriorPage/Generic Physical/MuseumInteriorCollision
Delete city/palace/Generic Physical/PalaceCollisionArena
Add "NewFloor3" to city/palace/Scene Node/city_District_palace
This has been tested with a virgin Uru installation. In case of problems, all you have to do is copy the files above from the backup to your Uru "dat" folder. You did take a backup, right?
If you take the challenge and enjoy it, please spread the word!