Opening the cavern: the challenge

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Opening the cavern: the challenge

Postby Wamduskasapa » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Chacal wrote:Looking at your screenshots, your textures look weird. Is this what you normally see in Uru?

On my off line version YES...

I have modifyed the texture PRPs in the
Baron City Office
City
Dni City X2 Finale
Neighborhood
Nexus
Personal
Spyroom

If you wish this is the City District Texture PRP.
if you have modifyed your instalation with drizzle just save your old version and substitute mine.
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Wamduskasapa » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:59 am

OK, I have found a means of eliminating the unwanted gates that works nicely. First I created a Blank Alpha Texture (256x512). There are two MimMaps that are responsible for the gates in Ae'gura both are the same size:

islmdripstonegate&2A0#0.hsm
islmdripstonegate&2A100#0.hsm

I imported islmdripstonegate&2A100#0.hsm.dds as the blank Alpha Texture. What I did not do was go through and reference the materials as to which Layer that they pointed to. I had found that the offending gates were referenced as Material Gate, Layer #658 so that was all I concentrated on...

EDIT: I wish there were an easier method to find all Materials that referened a specific Layer and Vice Versa
Wamduskasapa

Postby diafero » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:16 am

I wish there were an easier method to find all Materials that referened a specific Layer and Vice Versa
There is, though you need Python for it: The tracekey.py script in Python/examples of libHSPlasma can do just that. Please don't ask me how tog et that running on Windows though, no idea^^
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Wamduskasapa » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:23 am

diafero wrote:
Wamduskasapa wrote:I wish there were an easier method to find all Materials that referened a specific Layer and Vice Versa
There is, though you need Python for it: The tracekey.py script in Python/examples of libHSPlasma can do just that. Please don't ask me how tog et that running on Windows though, no idea^^

To bad that has not been added to PRP Shop it would be an excellent Troubleshooting / Modification tool.

It would be nice just to be able to right click Material or Layer and be able to do a trace of all Usage...
Wamduskasapa

Postby Chacal » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:15 pm

The problem with this method is it will make all objects that use the same material disappear. It works for those gates, but it would be a problem for stone walls, etc.

On this thread, I outline an easier way to erase specific meshes.
"easy" being a very relative concept here, of course ;)
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby sculp » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:08 am

I've followed the tutorials successfuly and had a lot of fun doing so! Thank you Chacal for your excellent work and comprehensive explanations :) I'd love to have a go at making some modifications of my own, but the one part I haven't been able to discover is how to generate the new or modified files ie the .uof files which you provided for the challenge and tutorials. I'm assuming that the additions/changes were made in Blender, but then what?
Hoping you can help
sculp
sculp

Postby Sirius » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:50 am

Yes, it really needs a wiki page for it. I also tried to do it, and this is not really obvious.

In fact, using .uof is quite hard. I re-imported the city in Blender and made the colliders (even added some new places ;) ), then I exported all as single PRP. It is easier (but not as clean as Chacal's method, as everything is in a new file).

If you want to use .uof, import the PRP you want in Blender, and just make the mesh an invisible collider (you should try not to use meshes with too much vertices). Then, apply a page_num property to tell in which PRP you want to import your object (see the index below). Again, be sure to avoid using too much vertices to avoid increasing the loading time. Use this for the Book text file:

Code: Select all
    lingertime: "180"
    maxcapacity: "50"
    pages:
        - index: 0
          name: "ferry"
        - index: 1
          name: "canyon"
        - index: 2
          name: "courtyard"
        - index: 3
          name: "harbor"
        - index: 4
          name: "greatstair"
        - index: 5
          name: "guildhall"
        - index: 6
          name: "library"
        - index: 7
          name: "palace"
        - index: 8
          name: "kahlopubtunnel"
        - index: 9
          name: "cavetjunction"
        - index: 11
          name: "LibraryInterior"
        - index: 12
          name: "KahloPub"
        - index: 13
          name: "MuseumInteriorPage"
        - index: 44
          name: "KadishGallery"
    sequenceprefix: "6"
    starttime: 998453754

config:
    agesdlhook: False

Note: I only left the PRP you might want to import your objects into. If you want to create a totally new PRP, put something like this in it:
Code: Select all
        - index: 125
     name: "city_add"

And export all as single PRP, and don't do the next step.

Then, export all as full age in a new folder, use PRPExplorer to find the objects in it and export them as .uof. Easy ! You should be able to do it to modify an existing collider.
You still need to do this then: http://forum.guildofwriters.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=4538&p=45551&hilit=importing+new+objects#p45551. You can also edit the PRP file with PageEditor, save as .prc, use prcc to make it a .uof file and import it.
Don't forget to update the sum file, and then it should work.

It really was a great idea. Maybe Chacal should create new places. Some other places as Palace rooftop or the Concert Hall balcony looks really great.
Last edited by Sirius on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sirius

Postby sculp » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:35 am

Ok thanks for your help Sirius. I've never used the tools you mention so here's a good excuse to try them out. I got a feeling I'm going to have some fun.. 8-)
sculp

Postby tangara » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:29 am

Special thanks to you Chacal for this mad journey through your opening cavern ! What an amazing work !
I saw the video and, as Robert The Rebuilder, there is a lot of places I had missed. So thanks for the video too.
I am really surprised than for two years no more persons tried the adventure...
Chacal wrote:If you take the challenge and enjoy it, please spread the word!

So, I spread the word : take the challenge too and have fun discovering new areas !
tangara

Postby Chacal » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks for your kind words.
I am currently working on hacking tools that will make this easier. This will make it easy to add, change or delete visible objects, which will allow me to make the City additions much better visually.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion