Importing Ages

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Importing Ages

Postby Justintime9 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:18 pm

Ok, well I've been trying to figure out BGE, and I thought that perhaps importing an age from MYST V or URU CC might help me understand how they do it... only one problem... when I tried importing MYST island from MYST V. it loaded fine for awhile, until it got to "Python script error; check console" the black box said the error was: pRaw instance has no attribute 'Import_obj'
Any Idea what the problem was? and, if it's Illegal to import ages into blender or something please tell me :P studying a finished, professional age would really help me though :)
Justintime9

Re: Importing Ages

Postby Nadnerb » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:05 pm

Well, for one thing, Uru ages have nothing to do with the blender game engine, which is entirely separate from what we're working on here.

Second, the Myst 5 age format is not really supported by the plugin, so trying to import them is likely to raise errors. Only uru ages should be importable.

Finally, looking at an import of a cyan age is not likely to help you understand things much, except perhaps for materials, which can be complicated, but are mostly fully imported. All the other stuff we learn to put in for our own ages is not recreated by the importer, so the age really wouldn't look all that finished or professional in blender. :P

Still, try importing something from Uru CC to see just what the importer will take.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby andylegate » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:43 pm

About the only thing that helped me by importing any of the Uru Ages was meshes. Take a look at how some of the stuff they made, helped me get a better idea. That and layout of the Ages.

But Nadnerb is right. Other than looking at the textures, nothing else does you a whole lot of good. You'll see lamps that they put in, but when you select the lamps and take a look at the settings in blender, they are all defaulted.

One thing you need to keep in mind: Cyan didn't use Blender to make their Ages. They used a very high end (expensive) 3D modeler program (3DMax I believe?).

Blender can give you a good idea for how they basically built the Age, and it can help extract textures if you wish to study them. But that's about all the good it's going to do you.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Justintime9 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:40 am

ah, I see, is there any way to veiw an Avatar in Blender, and how it's situated with the camera? that's what I really need
Justintime9

Postby andylegate » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:42 am

I believe there is, though I have never tried it, I've seen what looks like Yeesha in the tutorials.
andylegate

Postby Chacal » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:31 pm

Here's zombie Yeesha.

yeesha.png
yeesha.png (28.64 KiB) Viewed 3866 times

She comes from CustomAvatars_District_YeeshaNoGlow.prp
She wants braiiiiiins.

ACtually she needs textures more than brains, but I have no idea where her textures are.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby andylegate » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:21 pm

ROFL!!!!!

Just had an image of Diablo II pop up in my head! Zombie Yeeshas running around going "Braaaaaains." like the zombies do in that game..... heheheheh
andylegate

Postby Tobyas » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:36 pm

Her textures have to be referenced somewhere in the game files in order to know to equate Zombie Yeesha with Zombie Yeesha's skin.

Hmm... an undead army of Yeeshas and Bahro attack the cavern... sounds like a good theme to Season 2. Or, a reason to get the heck out of the cavern before becoming one of the shambling horde.
Tobyas

Postby Grogyan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:45 am

Chacal wrote:Here's zombie Yeesha.

She comes from CustomAvatars_District_YeeshaNoGlow.prp
She wants braiiiiiins.

Actually she needs textures more than brains, but I have no idea where her textures are.

I believe they are in here
GlobalClothing_District_Female01.prp

But due to the importer designed not to import textures, you won't see any.

Simply select all "A" key and "Make Parent", then give the new object a name, and save the file.

When you want to compare sizes and things, use the "Append or Link" function to import the mesh to your current scene.

Co-incidentally, I am using her model to gauge the size and dimensions of a small power generator.
I hope to release the Blend file once i'm finished, so that anyone can have a portable independent power supply for your Age, seeing as we can't use fire marbles for power, as in I don't know where they are (not Relto).
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Chacal » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:52 pm

Is Yeesha the standard Uru female size? She always seemed a tiny girl to me.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Next

Return to General Discussion