Want Some Beach Front Property?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Want Some Beach Front Property?

Postby andylegate » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:33 pm

Now that they Judges for the RAD have released their scores, the Zephyr Cove Team would like to make the following announcement:

Zephyr Cove started out simply as a submission to the RAD contest. However, during the beginning phases of development, it became quite obvious to us that this Age could be a LOT more than a contest entry.

Following on that idea, we have been making plans for Zephyr Cove, and were even making them during the development of it.

We plan on expanding Zephyr Cove into an Age that people can adventure in, and even take part in a small degree. There will be 4 beginning phases for this.

Phase One:
Convert Zephyr Cove over to the newest plugin made by the Tool Dev Team. This will allow for some much better looking water at the beach, plus some better sound effects.
At the same time we will be renting the beach off to people! :D

If you have taken a stroll on our beach in Zephyr Cove, you may have noticed that it's quite large. Large and empty in many ways. This was done on purpose as we would like to add stuff to it in this first phase. Specifically YOUR stuff!
As of right now I have 10 slots available for any that would like to build some models and have them placed on the beach in Zephyr Cove. This slot will be "Your" slot, or spot on the beach!

Here are the rules for this:
Slots are open to any and everyone who wishes to build things for their slot and have placed in the Age, as long as said objects are built either by the individual, or by a friend of the individual. Please do not ask Andy to build them as he's quite busy. But others may not be.
Objects built in programs other than Blender are fine, but must be exported as a OBJ format. Objects that are built and textured in other programs must also have their textures provided for upon upload of the object itself.
Slots need to keep with the theme of the beach area of the Age. No Jet Planes, Large Buildings, D'ni Artifacts, Dogs, Cats, or Barney Dinosaurs please. If you are unsure, please PM anyone on the Zephyr Cove team.
Things like Beach Towels, Lawn Chairs, Grills, Umbrellas, Changing Tents are more to the theme.
Journals will be allowed, and can help "personalize" your spot on the beach. No linking books please!
Slots are NOT a contained enviorment like in Ahra Phats, and are not meant to be your playground for anything.
Slots will be issued to people on a first come first server basis. Contact Andy Legate for details or to request a slot
Oh, Slots are about 50 x 50 feet (Blender Units), so you'll know how much room you have to work with. Also, prior to being release, we'll take screen shots of where we put your stuff and you can tell us if we need to move it, etc, etc.

Also included with Phase One, will be an expansion of another Area. If you have not been to Zephyr Cove yet, be warned that the next is a spoiler:

Show Spoiler

Phase Two:

Phase Two will take the explorers to the top of the island. It's a jungle up there! No telling what might be up there!

Phase Three:

Phase Three will be taking the explorers to the other side of the island. What's on the other side of those pesky rocks anyways?????

Phase Four:

Phase Four is a spoiler if you have not explored Zephyr Cove yet. Be warned:

Show Spoiler

Time Frame:

We have no idea..............

No..... :D Actually Phase One will be put out about 1 month from now, so that should give anyone that wants a Beach Slot plenty of time to make what ever they want to make and have us place it in the Age.

The phases after that will depend on things that are going on.

Okay, let's hear from ya.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Re: Want Some Beach Front Property?

Postby Zander » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:41 pm

I have yet to prove to my own satisfaction that I can make anything at all, so I'll pass, but I shall hope to visit Zephyr Cove regularly. You and your team have done an amazing job. (Now I can say it!! :lol: )
Zander

Postby Jojon » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:05 am

While visiting, I half expected to encounter an Andy Legate NPC, crouching at the waterline, rising, tossing a pebble into the sea and begin to drone on about how he fled to this age of his when M'oul fell. -This may be an opportunity to see this yet... ;)
Jojon

Postby Chacal » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:27 am

This is a great idea and if I ever have time to take up modeling I'll be there.

confession Show Spoiler
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby andylegate » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:31 am

Oh Chacal!

I'm afraid what you saw is not what will be. Looking up there is only a illusion to make you think there's stuff up there. :D

When we do the top, it will be apart from the main Age, kinda like how Gahreesen has "subworld".
Else the Age would end up being WAY too big for downloads and load times would take too long.

It's going to happen though, don't worry.
andylegate

Postby Chacal » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:50 am

Just a different prp will do, don't bother with subworlds!

I'd have plenty of ideas for your Age, just no time for trying them.

Hey, you're gonna need fresh water for those long days at the beach. What about a nice, refreshing stream cascading down from the cliff, with mossy rocks and all, and then running down across the beach to the ocean? It could also provide power for some yet undiscovered native-made crude machinery.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Nynaveve » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Chacal wrote:Hey, you're gonna need fresh water for those long days at the beach. What about a nice, refreshing stream cascading down from the cliff, with mossy rocks and all, and then running down across the beach to the ocean? It could also provide power for some yet undiscovered native-made crude machinery.

Oh! I love it! Great idea! :D Andy, Andy! Did ya hear that??! Let's try it! LOL
Guild of Maintainers Webmystress and Grand Master

Nynaveve

Postby andylegate » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:55 pm

Okay, before everybody jumps up and goes "Ooo! Ooo! Put this in!" keep in mind I'm more than willing to have my ear bent and try it out, but, they will go in the other parts of the Island. I don't want to change the terrain around too much in this first part of the island as it kinda breaks the continuity for me.

So new terrain types, etc, let's keep them for the Other Side of the island, or for the jungle top. The only major things for the current side will be making textures better and of course adding the animated stuff for water.

So while I enjoy your enthusiasm, let me get this first part out of the way first.

:shakes head grinning at everyones enthusiasm: :D
andylegate

Return to General Discussion