Exploring MO:UL Offline

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Exploring MO:UL Offline

Postby Norfren » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:34 pm

I copied the files into the same installation which uses ULM as well. No problem.
Norfren

Postby Lontahv » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:55 pm

Yeah, I double checked and that wasn't the problem for me either. :P

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby andylegate » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:52 pm

Yep, just got done reading the thread over at UO forums.........

Certain people come off almost like, religion. While I admire devotion.......I guess how they feel is a bit obsessed, so I guess they are at the right place anyway.........

My only response to the thread was a roll eyes emote and a disgusted sigh....

I do believe that maybe distributing the converted MOUL files to be over the top. I mean one of the things that we try to do when we create our Ages is to not include any Cyan content at all. I mean we put linking panels in our linking books, but even then, we are using a pointer in a python file that points to an exsisting file on another person's computer in the first place. We don't include the panel in our textures.

I believe that distributing the program and tools that can modify the files in no way shape or form violating anything. I mean we're already doing that when we use the ULM to use our fan Ages.

But I do believe that it is also up to the forum staff to decide whether or not to keep like the torrent link. I'll neither push to have it gone, nor push to have it stay.

I will push anything that will help keep people's interest in Uru stay however. So I guess I'd push for a more user friendly version of Drizzle. Of course I have selfish motives too.........I wannna have MOUL's K'veer. Not POTS K'veer, :D
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Lontahv » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Yeah, why can't Dustin just release a patch that mods all the MOUL new-stuff and puts it in the CC dat/python/sdl/etc. ?

I know that'd be more work, but... could he(you, if Dustin is reading) even just have an installer that has the files packed and has to check to see if you have/had a valid MOUL install, and if it doesn't see it... it just says no? :P

I feel that if you didn't have MOUL, you have no right going to the "new" ages with CC. The new ages were one of the reasons that you would've paid for MOUL, and why you'd pay for the next(if there is one) UruLive.

This may come off as really mean. I feel like you should know what I think deep down.

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby greendragoon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:35 pm

I don't know if I have a valid install, but I did make a copy of the MOUL files before removing gametap. I will hang on to the cavern even if it's in the form of lost hard drive space.

As for modding files vs. distributing modded files, I would hazard a guess, and I say this without a full understanding of the process, that it is easier to mod files and then distribute them than it is to distribute a install that modifies them on the spot. That is not to say that I think it would be impossible. Do be prepared to multiple wipes and reinstalls while the age compatibility is improved.
Robert "greendragoon" Starbuck
As Long as there is MORE,
I will explore.
And as long as my Relto shelf is unfilled,
I will build.
greendragoon

Location: Stuck in Indiana because the cavern door is locked.

Postby MustardJeep » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:43 pm

Call me a hypocrite Dustin but after using the torrent and standing in Delin I think the torrent needs to come down. When I grabbed it I thought it was the drizzle release you had mentioned to me, instead I found that on source forge.

I intend to mod my CC install with drizzle, and that is perfectly alright to do in my book because it is done on my own computer.

Transmitting the ported files however well intentioned is still a bad thing however, and could easily be a issue at best just for you, but at worst for Cyan preventing them from creating a Shard for everyone to enjoy together online.

If you need help with Drizzle my Java is as rusty as a old screen door, but I am willing to set aside time from my projects in RL to do what I can getting it simpler to use.
MustardJeep

Postby D'Lanor » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:47 pm

Lontahv wrote:Yeah, why can't Dustin just release a patch that mods all the MOUL new-stuff and puts it in the CC dat/python/sdl/etc. ?

I know that'd be more work, but... could he(you, if Dustin is reading) even just have an installer that has the files packed and has to check to see if you have/had a valid MOUL install, and if it doesn't see it... it just says no? :P

I feel that if you didn't have MOUL, you have no right going to the "new" ages with CC. The new ages were one of the reasons that you would've paid for MOUL, and why you'd pay for the next(if there is one) UruLive.

This may come off as really mean. I feel like you should know what I think deep down.

~Lontahv

I feel that way as well. The original "do-it-yourself" Drizzle was perfect, but releasing the modified files is probably a bad idea. Don't get me wrong. I am grateful to finally have all the MOUL Python files to study but this project is most likely going to get shot this way.

If you do checksums on the MOUL files the easy installation would not be that much harder. People will have to point the installer to both the Uru CC folder and their MOUL backup folder. The installation process would be somewhat similar to the alcugs patcher then (yes, Almlys had his ass covered ;) ).
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby theclam » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:05 am

I agree with Andylegate, Paradox, MustardJeep, D'Lanor, and others in the opinion that distributing the original MO:UL files, without Cyan's explicit approval, isn't a good choice - and that distributing the conversion program is a good choice.
theclam

Postby andylegate » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:27 am

We took down the torrent link over at the Maintainers Forum. Ironically it was ME that posted it, along with detailed instructions on how to use it and get things installed.

It was AFTER wards that it suddenly hit me that we are promoting the distribution of MOUL files. As with just about everyone else here, we would be MORE than happy to host Drizzle links and files, and instructions on how to use it to convert files that people already have. We do this any way with the ULM for being able to use Fan Ages.

I just hope Dustin doesn't get upset. I admire his wanting to promote people getting back into the MOUL Ages, but at the same time, I'd much rather we do this the good ol' fasion way: Hacking the crap outta somethin'!!! :D
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby gaborm » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:58 am

Ok, I respect the decision I took down my static link too to the zipped file.
gaborm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion