Exploring MO:UL Offline

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Exploring MO:UL Offline

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:02 pm

ddb174 wrote:Andy: I talk about that here: http://forum.almlys.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=430&start=0#p2342 Summary: it's my problem, not yours.

I just hope that it won't affect Cyan's plans to run their own MOUL server, because that will make it our problem. That would make us age writers who are hoping to see our ages on a legal multiplayer shard one day very unhappy.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby andylegate » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:15 pm

Mmmmmm.....

I would think that at worst, Turner (or Cyan) would step in here and ask Dustin, politely, but firmly to remove the files is all. I Don't think it would keep them for anything else, since right now the only thing it does is let you wander around in those Ages as single player.

Now, if this were something that sends me to a server and we're all together again online......yah, I think maybe the hammer might fall a bit harder.......

My main concern was the distrubution of the Age files is all. Like I said a program that modifies the files that we already have is one thing. The ULM does that for us so that we can link into our fan Ages.

But please, I hope I didn't start a argument here, I was just curious is all.

Okay, install is done, let me see what happens with my computer.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby ddb174 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:20 pm

D'Lanor wrote:
ddb174 wrote:Andy: I talk about that here: http://forum.almlys.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=430&start=0#p2342 Summary: it's my problem, not yours.

I just hope that it won't affect Cyan's plans to run their own MOUL server, because that will make it our problem. That would make us age writers who are hoping to see our ages on a legal multiplayer shard one day very unhappy.

How could that possibly be the case? Unless you're planning on stepping on a butterfly while hunting dinosaurs. ;)
ddb174

Postby andylegate » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:37 pm

Okay it worked for me! I of course failed to print out the key list, and so just randomly starting going Shift- whateverkey

I linking to the Cartographers pub
I linked to my home Maintainers, took a screen shot too so I can post it over on our forum there.
I linked to Tetsonot
I linked to Jalak
I linked to Negligahn
I linked to Tsogal
I linked to a Bahro cave.....can't remember which one, but it was dark as hell, I remember that from one of our episodes. I jumped into the star hole, and almost fell out of the Age before linking, hehehe
I linked to Delin!! And saw the Maple tree page!!!!! It popped up!!!!! But that's all it did. Sure....get my hopes up like that!!

Okay, some things that I noticed...(sorry, I'm a Maintainer Guildmaster.....of COURSE I have to do bug reports!):

No footstep sounds in Tsogal
No footstep sounds in Delin
No sounds at all in Tetsonot.
Grass in Tsogal was not swaying.
Negligahn is not all there......I fell down the ladder to the bottom level. No climb region to get back up. Looking out side, there looks like a lot of textures were missing.

Whew, that's it for now. Was very neat to do.
andylegate

Postby BAD » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:38 pm

D'Lanor wrote:

I highly doubt anything done here is considered TOS, or copyright friendly. So how is what Dustin did any different?

Sure some of us have received fan content permission, but I doubt the agreement makes any allusions that how we make them is completely legal.

So I'll ask that we do not make assumptions to what Cyan's plans are, or how this places existence and functionality may influence that.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby greendragoon » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:46 pm

andylegate wrote:I linked to my home Maintainers, took a screen shot too so I can post it over on our forum there.

You should take a pic with your maintainer suit on, in the maintainers pub. I'm sure they'll get a kick out of that. :D
Robert "greendragoon" Starbuck
As Long as there is MORE,
I will explore.
And as long as my Relto shelf is unfilled,
I will build.
greendragoon

Location: Stuck in Indiana because the cavern door is locked.

Postby Justintime9 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:00 pm

Lontahv wrote:Uh, just drag the lot into the CC root dir (so dat overwrites dat).

Then move your UruLibraryManager.pak out of your python folder (this caused troubles for me).

~Lontahv

what do you mean "the lot"? all I have is a white file called
"[isoHunt] final3c.torrent"
Justintime9

Postby andylegate » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:06 pm

Uhm, Justin,

you have to download the torrent. And then use a torrent program (like Bittorrent, or utorrent) to download the 300 MB of files.

Once you've done that, copy the files that are in each folder, just like you would to manually install any Age: dat to dat, sdl to sdl, python to python, etc, etc.

Last but not least, look in the thread for the last post by ddb174 posted his install program. Download it. Put it in your Uru install and run it. It will take a few minutes.

Finally, open up the Drizzle text file and look through it. To link to the MOUL ages, you will have to hold down your shift key and hit another key to link in.
andylegate

Postby greendragoon » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:07 pm

You need a torrent client sou you can use the torrent file to download the actual file. I use bittorrent. Here.
Robert "greendragoon" Starbuck
As Long as there is MORE,
I will explore.
And as long as my Relto shelf is unfilled,
I will build.
greendragoon

Location: Stuck in Indiana because the cavern door is locked.

Postby ddb174 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:22 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed it Andy!
andylegate wrote:No footstep sounds in Tsogal
No footstep sounds in Delin
No sounds at all in Tetsonot.
Grass in Tsogal was not swaying.
Negligahn is not all there......I fell down the ladder to the bottom level. No climb region to get back up. Looking out side, there looks like a lot of textures were missing.

I'll add some more:
Minor craters are invisible in Minkata
No footprints in Minkata
Delin and Tsogal Journey Cloths don't work.
Sparkly symbols appear in all 4 Pods, but only Negilahn's will link you out when you enter it.

By the way, the sounds work fine in Tetsonot for me. You could try making sure the tetso*.ogg files got copied over, and running SoundDecompress again.

A note about installation: I know I did a poor job explaining this in the readme: you don't have to manually copy the files over *and* use install.bat (but it doesn't hurt). In fact, all install.bat does is try to find the Uru folder, then copy the files over, same as the manual. If folks do copy them by hand, they should be careful to remember to copy pythoncommand.txt over, too.

edit: I should also mention: you can use the '~' key to switch between flymode and no-flymode. For those new to flymode, holding down spacebar will make you go up, then the next time holding down spacebar will make you go down. Flymode is especially useful for overcoming the ladder problem. Oh, and you probably don't want Cap-lock on while using flymode.
ddb174

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion