Leadership Poll

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

What sort of leadership should the Guild of Writers operate under?

None - all decisions should be entirely democratic, without the slightest bit of rank.
17%
Little - a small council ranks projects by priorities, and acts as our contact with Cyan.
67%
Moderate - a small council assigns people to projects and ensures their completion and testing.
10%
Extreme - a Guild Master controls admissions, project choices and development.
7%

Total votes : 30

Re: Leadership Poll

Postby Pryftan » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:54 pm

Not if he wants to keep his position.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby AtionSong » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:07 pm

Personally, I think that it is vital for at least some form of organization to exist - the "none" option is actually probably just an illusion anyway. Regardless of whether leaders are officially recognized, we can see already that those who are good at leading and organizing are stepping forward to organize. By officially recognizing people that already are putting forward organization effort, and assigning specific tasks that need to be accomplished, we assure that things will continue to run smoothly, and even more efficiently.
AtionSong

Postby Paradox » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:07 pm

What worries me the most is how everyone is going on about the "being able to push for project completion". Look at what we have now: multiple people working on separate projects at their own pace. Are there any problems with that?

Generally the best way to get a stalled project moving is to take on a part of it yourself and do something to give it more life; "pushing" people in one direction will not be a good idea and will only make people want to push back harder.
Paradox

Postby AtionSong » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:12 pm

Paradox wrote:What worries me the most is how everyone is going on about the "being able to push for project completion". Look at what we have now: multiple people working on separate projects at their own pace. Are there any problems with that?

Generally the best way to get a stalled project moving is to take on a part of it yourself and do something to give it more life; "pushing" people in one direction will not be a good idea and will only make people want to push back harder.

I think what would work well would be an advanced version of what we have now - a few projects that are being worked on intensely, and a place to propose new ages. The only thing that's needed is a decision system as to when there has been enough discussion on an age to merit it it's own forum.
AtionSong

Postby Pryftan » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:12 pm

I think that's semantic, Paradox. A good leader pushes, but not in the way you're describing. And if it's a bad leader, they'll get voted out. ;p

The problem I have with the various paces is that they could be much faster if they had project leads.
Pryftan

Postby Nadnerb » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:15 pm

how on earth would they be faster? People can only do so much, in however much time they have. If they're here at all, that means they're probably investing a considerable amount of time in doing this, probably as much as they're comfortable with.

You seem to have remarkable confidence that a bad leader will be voted out. Almost as much as I have that a bad leader will be shunned. Same difference, no?

What about the leader who's just not leading, that you used as a counterargument a while ago? Who is going to have the initiative to vote them out?
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Pryftan » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:19 pm

The council.

As for speed, less time will be spent trying to decide between two vastly different directions two modellers are taking and more time will be spent actually working on one of the two.
Pryftan

Postby Nadnerb » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:22 pm

Two modelers need to go in different directions before the council can decide that something needs to be done about it. And why would the council, an outside force, not directly connected to the project besides having declared it a "guild wide project" get to decide this? Wouldn't they need to deliberate about it for a while too? How would that be faster than allowing the actual members of the project team to vote on it?
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Pryftan » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:24 pm

Sorry. "The council" was in response to the thing about removing a leader who's just not leading. Didn't really make that clear. The one who would pick between directions would be the project leader.
Pryftan

Postby Lontahv » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:22 pm

I think that a Council would work too, have all of the members vote for 5 people every 2 months. That could work. :)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion