A Proposal for Keeping the Lines Open...

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

A Proposal for Keeping the Lines Open...

Postby L. DaVinci » Mon May 12, 2008 6:33 pm

During this last week, I went back to play Guild Wars for a little bit to kind of take a break from the Airship age that I've been working on. While I was there, I met up with some old friends again, and I reopened a new Ventrilo Voice Server so that we could keep in touch like we did before I stopped playing 6 months ago.

It occured to me that the Guilds could utilize such a resource to continue the developments of Age Creation. To name a few instances where this could be helpful:

1. We could hold an assembly of the guilds and discuss ideas and other up and coming projects.
2. Jennifer's Classroom could be expanded to build upon a scheduled one-hour class.. or something similar to it.
3. Readings of the Myst books and lore, or even a D'ni History class. :)
4. Or just simple conversation between fellow explorers and friends.

There are likely many other reasons that I haven't named here, but this could be kind of like our own personal neighboorhood without all the graphics in front of us.

I propose to offer this server to our guilds to help improve our communications between our writers, maintainers, cartographers, messengers, greeters, and explorers.

At present, the server is set up to accomodate 10 people at $4.95/month, but can easily be upgraded to service more, if their is enough expressed interest in this form of communication. For 50 users, it will cost $13.95/month and I don't mind paying for the service up to that, but if we get more than 50 people who are logging on to the server, I would ask for assistance to upgrade it to allow more people to get on. If it becomes necessary, a server with 200 users is $49.95/month.
The server is provided by Ventrilo Servers.biz (http://www.ventriloservers.biz/), and you can find more information on their service and downloading the ventrilo client at their site.

After you have downloaded and installed the Ventrilo Client, setting up your client is easy to do. Here is what the client looks like when you log into the server.
Show Spoiler

When you log into the server for the first time as a guest, a Message of the Day will pop-up.
Show Spoiler

Create a new user name by selecting the right arrow button. You can also change the phoentic spelling of your name so that it sounds the way you want it to.
Show Spoiler

You can also go into the setup menu and make any neccesary adjustments to your client for sound clarity.
Show Spoiler

Remember this is merely a proposal to determine interest in using this tool for our continued development of Age writing and communication. If enough interest is expressed, I will upgrade the server and send or post the connection information here. As people begin to log into the server, I will set up a user account which will reserve the name that you want to you use for the server. Once the user account is setup you will no longer login as a guest.

Please let me know what you think of this idea.

Your fellow writer and explorer,
DaVinci.
L. DaVinci

Return to General Discussion