What needs to be done...

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

What needs to be done...

Postby darkling27 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:50 am

Hey everyone, I thought i would get involved and join this forum ;)
The DRC and yeesha have all told us over and over to 'make a home' and to 'work together', the guilds have taken off with hardly any guidance and Cyan seems to want us to figure it out for ourselves. Now the big gap in content has now started, and Cyan and the DRC have left us to develop on our own.
So what needs to be done now?
And what needs to be planned for the future?
This is a big task for all the guilds to start from scratch, but probably a lot more daunting for the GoW due to its role in Uru and the fact other guilds are based around it (Guild of maintainers).

These are a few of the things that i think should be taken into consideration. You may disagree and discussion is encouraged. :D

What needs to be done now?
* We need to be 100% sure how ages can be made.
How can we make ages? There are no official tools released by Cyan, and there are defiantly no user-friendly tools either :lol: From my knowledge, we have to use tools such as blender to create our worlds. But have we been told this is the way to do it? Are we even certain that all out hard work can be implemented into uru at some point? Is someone working on any tools and do we know about it?

* The main page of this site
Although inspiring, i think a more up to date description should be put onto there. What is written atm are what we would hope things would be like, not how they are. New explorers who want to become part of the GoW need to be told how to get involved and what they can do to participate. Not false information about tools that we wish existed. :P

* Leadership sorted out
There seems to be more thought going into who is going to lead the guild than developing the guild atm. My own personal opinion is that whoever runs this website and forum should be the leader. If that is not what they want, then he/she should have the responsibility to appoint whoever they choose to run things, that, or do a nominations and vote poll.
But since the owner put the effort into making this site, they should be the leader of it also. Then as explorers get more involved, the dedicated ones will become more obvious, and moderators of the forums can be chosen.
We need moderators to help and guide the other members.
We need a owner to update and work on the website.

What needs to be done for the future?
Assuming that we will be making things with blender
*Tutorials and expansion on the GoW site
Most explorers that want to become GoW members wont have much knowlage in Blender or other 3D programming devices. But they wouldnt need to if they could be given a step by step guide to make the basic elements of a age. How to make rain, how to make water. how to make a landscape. There must be many out there already. But if they could be copied, changed, made into plain english, refere to Uru and then posted on the GoW website. Anyone would be able to make a age!

* Resources
The GoW website should be there to help people and act as a community. One way to help people would be to have readily made resources uploaded by others, ready to be used by their fellow guilds men. A database full of people creations ranging from lamps to plants to a pre-made linkbook. Not everyone wants to build whole ages, and not everyone wants to make a age from scratch. Things like this would make the whole experience of making a age more enjoyable.
(heres a link to a website that do just that. It has nothign to do with Uru and is a fan made adaptation of the nes zelda. But notice the resources available on the left.... http://www.purezc.com/index.php)

* Lastly...
Figure a way to make these ages reality. This will probably be decided by Cyan and not us. This is the main hold back of the GoW. If we already knew how this is all going to work, we would of been a lot more organized and know how to do things :P
The ages (when made into a .age) could be uploaded to cyan, uploaded to a database on a website after tested and approved by the GoM where others will have to d/l them and then played in Uru. But we will not know how this will all work until it has been said by Cyan...

That is all i can think of for now. I made this post to hopefully point out what path i think the guild should think going down. I hope the GoW becomes great and inspiring like the days of D'ni and our ages are just as impressive as the ones we have seen and read about :)
darkling27

Re: What needs to be done...

Postby BAD » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:11 am

I don't want to discourage you in any way, but from what you are writing, it seems you haven't read a lot of the discussions and looked at any of the tools we have already. We are much more sophisticated than your giving us credit for. ;)
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby darkling27 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:35 am

it seems you haven't read a lot of the discussions and looked at any of the tools we have already.

Indeed i havent :P lol
But i am now interested what tools there are! Hehe. I just assumed there wasn't any because nobody mentioned any in a thread i made over in the Mystonline.com forums about the guilds :|

We are much more sophisticated than your giving us credit for

To be truthful i did write that without researching or anything! I really wasn't aiming to insult you all or anything :oops: I was just thinking and thought id make a post about it here, and then typed it as it came to me. :lol: What progress has been made so far with this guild anyways?
darkling27

Postby bluewyvern » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:44 am

I don't really agree with you on the leadership -- I think we're on the right track with discussions and polls and elections, and building/running the website has nothing to do with organizing and leading the guild.

I do think you have a point about the resources, though. The main site should perhaps be expanded to incorporate things like this -- sort of an introduction to the business of the GoW, including what tools/programs we're using to build, how to get/use ULM, all that -- outline the whole process for building and viewing Ages.

The site could also include a library of completed works, like shared textures and models anyone can use in their Ages (some trees, some walls, some lamps, etc.).

Basically the Guild and the site could be a lot more user-friendly. The newsletter would be a nice step in this direction, too -- people who haven't been able to read every forum post all along from the beginning should be able to come here and look around and fairly easily see who we are and what we're doing.

I guess that's what electing a Guild council will be good for -- they can be in charge of all this Guild-wide organizing and presentation and PR stuff, while project teams get on with the Ages. If they're not doing the work themselves, then they can assemble and oversee a team dedicated to organizing content on the website.
Concept, design, storytelling, editorial
KI# 05697413
bluewyvern

Postby Pryftan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:14 am

Thanks to some wonderful people, we have a plugin for Blender that exports our models into an *.age file just as you're saying. It's not capable of everything yet, but the people who made it are always adding to and updating it for extra functionality. There are tutorials available for it here. As for it being referred to on the site, I agree, the site doesn't accurately represent our abilities.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby BAD » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:37 pm

The GOW is still in it's infancy. However we have plugins for Blender that can export data you can use to add an age to Uru complete chronicles. Unfortunately that game is not on shelves anymore, but you may be able to find a copy on Amazon or Ebay.

We also have many dedicated people who have been working on building and improving the tools we are using.

Organizationally we are a mess. That is OK though. We have yet to scratch the surface of what we are capable of, so it is not necessary that we rush into anything.

Some people are against having any kind of leadership right now. I don't think it would be a good idea to set anything up without having almost everyones consent.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby darkling27 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:49 am

However we have plugins for Blender that can export data you can use to add an age to Uru complete chronicles.

That good news! But, i have always wondered.... Didnt Cyan have to pretty much re-make the ages for CC? Would that mean that any ages that are being made for CC wont work for Uru without big modifications? :?

I don't really agree with you on the leadership

Thats why its only my opinion, i always have been lazy about such things and that was the easiest and quickest solution, hehe :P

The main site should perhaps be expanded to incorporate things like this

So how would we go about making this happen? it would take dedication to do, let alone time and effort.
darkling27

Postby Trylon » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:58 am

The ages will work.
You'll probably just need to tweak some settings.

As far as agebuilding being ok by Cyan:
In 2006 cyan requested that we contact legal@cyan.com if we wanted to make an age, and in return we would get a Fan Created Age (FCA) license.
So, yes, they're ok with it.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby darkling27 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:42 pm

The ages will work.
You'll probably just need to tweak some settings.

I hope so, as i have already started playing around with age ideas :)

I have been trying to make some moving water atm without much success... The tutorial im using seems to think i know where all the settings are already :x

Is there anyone willing to make some small tutorials on how to make the basic elements of a age or give us a bunch of links? I would make a few myself if i was more experienced with it :roll:
darkling27

Postby Trylon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:11 pm

Try the following places:

http://alcugs.almlys.org/wiki/
and
http://alcugs.almlys.org/wiki/index.php/AgeCreationTutorialsList

There are the tutorials stored for now.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Next

Return to General Discussion