Official-ness

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Official-ness

Postby Whilyam » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:50 pm

Just curious, are we official because we're the only ones out there or because Cyan has said "Thou art official"?
Whilyam

Re: Official-ness

Postby Paradox » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:56 pm

"Official" is a very very complicated term.

In one sense, we are the "official" Guild of Writers due to the poll that was held on the MOUL Forums.
However, Cyan has not made us "official".

It's a very complicated situation, which isn't helped by people who bash us for "pretending" to be official. (not talking about you Whilyam!)
Paradox

Postby The Noble Robot » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:09 pm

I would say that no, this is not official in any capacity whatsoever. The only authority which endows this website with any "officialness" is the MOUL forum poll.

The fact that it *does* appear to be official or cyan-approved *is* really irritating to me, but with that said, it's still "the place to be" when it comes to the future Guild, and is run by the right folks (if only they, too, would disclose their details on this site).
The Noble Robot

Postby Lehm » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:31 pm

Agree with Noble Robot...no. Not yet anyway.
Lehm

Postby Owehn » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:50 am

Thanks, that answers some similar questions I had.
Owehn

Postby Pryftan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:36 am

I can't really buy into this whole "official" issue. Why can't we be official in the sense that we were instated by the community as a whole? We're THE Guild of Writers, not A Guild of Writers. And Cyan wants to have Guilds, so if they want a Guild of Writers, we're kind of the only option. I don't see why we have to wait for turtle-esque Cyan to emerge from it's shell and annoint us with oil before we can appear to be official.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Eschaton » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:50 pm

I agree with Pryftan, here.
We ARE the official GoW. Anything Cyan says will just be a change of policy for the existing guild. It's not as though they are going to replace us with all the members of the GoC, as interesting as that would be . . . "QUICKLY, GoW, make maps for all the ages. You, GoC, start writing ages. NOW!"

Anyway, I need to get moving and get in game!
Eschaton

Postby Dovahn » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:46 pm

Right, and I have a feeling that calling this "unofficial" would only confuse people. Let them think that we are official; what's the harm? As Eschaton said, it's not like Cyan is going to say, "Okay, you all aren't allowed to be the Guild of Writers". It doesn't make sense.
Dovahn

Postby The Noble Robot » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:35 pm

Dovahn wrote:Right, and I have a feeling that calling this "unofficial" would only confuse people. Let them think that we are official; what's the harm? As Eschaton said, it's not like Cyan is going to say, "Okay, you all aren't allowed to be the Guild of Writers". It doesn't make sense.

That's true, and I think we can all agree that the people on this forum (and plenty who haven't joined us yet) will constitute the official GoW no matter where it is hosted or what form it takes. But... what happens when we form an elected council, ranks and actual membership (other than mere forum membership)... and then Cyan comes out with their own Guild structure and maybe even a website?

I'm not saying that this will happen, and if it does, we'll all simply slide over to the new "offical" system, but it's easy to say we're the official group, because we haven't done any kind of organizing or structuring which could possibly be challenged by Cyan or anyone else for that matter.

And excuse me for bringing this up so late in the conversation, but the "poll" on the MOUL forums was *specifically* for the home of the "Unofficial Guild of Writers!!"

Thus it, as the only claim to "officialness" this site has, actually contradicts itself! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Noble Robot

Postby Owehn » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:07 pm

In case anyone wanted to know...my vote is to add "unofficial" to the title. For me, it takes explicit word from Cyan for a group to become "official", and as such, the only "official" guild in existence is the GoG. 8-)
Owehn

Next

Return to General Discussion