Design Process.

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Design Process.

Postby Lehm » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:52 pm

Seems like everyone has ideas for new ages. So it might be a good idea to talk about the design process and how ideas will become ages. Now individuals of coarse can proceed in whatever fashion they want on their own personal ideas. This is more for 'official' group projects. Here's what I was thinking would make a good process.

1. Idea. Whether through brainstorming or a forum post or whatever an idea is suggested.

2. Ratification. Idea is approved by the group as a possible project.

3. Refinement. A design document is created that outlines the goals of the idea.

4. Concept. A small team begins illustrating and creating the story for the age.

5. Level Design. A rough basic version of the age is created. All scripting and layout are done to ensure that the level will work. It is tested and refined until it works as intended and is fun to play. No detailed assets are created. It would be a waste of time to create assets for an age that either doesn't work or would under go revisions and be needing modification or thrown away all together. I know I would be pissed if I were to make a bridge only to have the river it crossed get axed and my bridge deleted.

6. Beautification. Now the detailed stuff is created for the age using the concepts from step 4. It continues until the group is satisifed with the look.

7. Submittal?. Hard to say what happens next.

So that's my suggestion for the design process. Feel free to revise, completely bash at leasure :)
Lehm

Re: Design Process.

Postby Pryftan » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:29 pm

We'll definitely want to adopt something of the sort. But I think we need to figure out what role the Cartographers and Maintainers will play in this process. In some form the Maintainers should be testing and ranking our Ages but we should talk to them to figure out how.. and I don't know if we've figured out if the Cartographers will want a part in actually designing the map of an Age, or if they're just interested in mapping already complete Ages.

Ulitmately, it'd be nice if we can adopt a plan like yours, and do something similar to the DRC's "Phase"s to keep people up to date as to an Age's completion. Except we'd you know, update it. ;D
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Whilyam » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:29 am

I agree that the "Phase-based" system might be useful. If nothing else than to follow the DRC's theme.
Whilyam

Postby JulyForToday » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:11 am

You hit the nail on the head Whilyam. That's pretty much the process that will need to happen. And I like the phase-based idea too. We just need to make an age list, or collaborate with members of other guilds making an age like (book of commentaries or whatnot).
JulyForToday

Postby Whilyam » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:07 am

That could be something put on the guild front page. An Age List tab.
Whilyam

Postby Lehm » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:57 pm

I like the phase idea. Good to keep the precedent. So how about something like this.

Phase 1: Design Document completed and approved. The first 2 steps would still happen, but there's no point in putting ages in the list that are just at the idea stage, otherwise the list would be filled hundreds of ages that would go nowhere.

Phase 2: Concept Complete.
Phase 3: Age Design Complete.
Phase 4: Detailing complete.
Phase 5: Revision/Approval.
Lehm

Postby Dovahn » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:44 pm

Lehm wrote:I like the phase idea. Good to keep the precedent. So how about something like this.

Phase 1: Design Document completed and approved. The first 2 steps would still happen, but there's no point in putting ages in the list that are just at the idea stage, otherwise the list would be filled hundreds of ages that would go nowhere.

Phase 2: Concept Complete.
Phase 3: Age Design Complete.
Phase 4: Detailing complete.
Phase 5: Revision/Approval.

I like it, but approved by whom? I agree that there should be some sort of approval process, but we have to figure that out first.
Dovahn

Return to General Discussion