Putting Our Ages On Shards

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Postby zib_redlektab » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:03 pm

i'll also mention that i have an unused uru shard on my server, which i'd be more than happy to volcanofy. :P
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby The Enlightened » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:02 pm

I've been a bit detatched from the world for a few stress-filled days, but I am back. I saw the question of the community age come up. I am in no way a technical person. I am curious though as to the abilities of a shard to hold one gigantic age, like the one that we are currently working on.

Furthermore, D'mala was a blessing. It brought together the entire Uru community. To spread this mitzvah out over a variety of shards would damage our growing sense of community. Thus, I believe it is our best intrest to find a reliable shard capable of handling the whole community, or at least serve as a base of operations as we explore these ages found by the community at large.
The Enlightened

Postby Starfyre » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:39 pm

To find a server that can handle all of the community would take hundreds of dollars and even then we would not be able to do it even then. That is why back during Live. Cyan had 3 shards at the end to spread out the growing numbers and take some of the load off of one shard. Most MMORPG's have multiple servers. It surprised me that UruLive started out with only one.
Starfyre

Postby zib_redlektab » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:42 pm

i'd like to see d'malas specs. It can handle like 15 people with very little lag (thats what i've seen), and had a ton on there during the st.pattie's day parade. if any shard can hold a ton of traffic, its that one.

in the best situation, cyan would let us put the volcano activity on d'mala. that would be great, and would be a good solution until the time when cyan again starts releasing Kahlo & Friends™.
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby Starfyre » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:09 pm

On D'mala's specs I would expect a high end server. I know with them going broke they may have sold most of their servers off. But I would still say they have one left. And if they do it probably cost them alot of money. More then this community could probably come up with.

Will Cyan allow Volcano on D'mala. In the short term I doubt it. They would want to test it out first. And even then they still might not.
Starfyre

Postby J'anim Paedet » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:12 pm

If they do, no doubt stricter rules and probably an approval council of some sort would be fast on the way. I'm sure they wouldn't want to risk their only server with possibly unstable fan-created material.

Assuming, of course, that they have only one. It is a possibility that they have two or more, and use them as experimentation stations and backup, in which case fan material on D'mala might become a real possibility.
J'anim Paedet

Postby ShadowDude » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:24 pm

Well, one thing we all need to realize right now is that Cyan is not looking to create new content at the moment, they're look to impress their mysterious third party investor. Until such time as Uru Live is setup (cautious optimism) and running smoothly, any fan created content will have to be on servers hosted by fans.
ShadowDude

Postby T_S_Kimball » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:31 am

Morning all.

Zrax:

What's entailed in putting the 'Dataserver' you describe up? Is this just an ordinary HTTP web pulling spot or an actual daemon process? I'd be willing to spin out a subdomain and disk space for ya if its a simple host job; I'm using almost 0% of my bandwith on the ISP hoster (shared hoster, but 250 gig / month xfer), so I'm sure for starting setup this will be fine. Dedicated IP is also possible if needed; Just not a dedicated server, but its a reasonable start.

Send a PM with details if interested...

--TSK
http://sungak.net
Timothy S. Kimball | The Kind Healer -- http://sungak.net
Pahts Shells 420 {Basic layout - 70%; Text for books - 20%}
T_S_Kimball

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:04 am

QUOTE ("ShadowDude")

Not true, I'm working on stuff by myself as well, I just haven't mentioned it wink.gif
[/quote]

Sorry, I just haven't seen any commits from you to the VOlcano python repo ;)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:03 am

Zrax:

Thanks for the wealth of information about the Volcano project. I've incorporated your info into the draft UU Shard Proposal. To complete the draft, I have some more questions for you and the Volcano development team. [Please forgive some of the naivety of the questions - I'm unfamiliar with the inner workings of the shard and client.]

Under "Server Additions", you listed the .age and .sdl files. Would
the server also need a copy of the custom age's .fni and .prp files?
Or are those on the Volcano data server?

Is the Volcano Dataserver in one central location, or does each UU
shard server with fan-created content have a Volcano Dataserver
running on it?

If there are multiple UU shards with fan-created content, will the
client list all these available shards, or only one shard?

If the multiple UU shards have different sets of fan-created content
on it, what will happen if the client switches from one shard to the
other?

If Cyan updates their data server again after the Volcano Dataserver
is up and running (along with a UU shard), how will the Volcano
Dataserver be updated accordingly?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion