Age acknowledgements

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Age acknowledgements

Postby Dovahn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:14 pm

I would actually imagine that a journal in the age is what one would do. I mean, so you just write this age, and now people start linking into it. You would practically put up a billboard at the link-in spot!

Maybe we could do something akin to Nexus links and Maintainer marks: a universal podium in every age that lists credits, thanks, and inside jokes. It seems very IC to me.
Dovahn

Postby The Noble Robot » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:15 pm

I still like the linking-book idea, if only to avoid the cries of "it will distract from the design of the age," but I'm also in favor of the journal at link-in point.

This all depends, or course, on the tools we get. As long as the tools have the ability to place journals, presumably it will be up the Guild to establish the conventions of placing the journal. The journal might have to be placed within X meters of the link-in spot, etc... anyone wishing to make exceptions would go through the Guild leadership on a case by case basis (and in the interest of artistic freedom, I think that some exceptions should be allowed, but regulated).

As for the design and iconography of the book/podium itself, I'd love to make claim to the honor if no one objects. I'd design a modern but elegant podium in the spirit of the ones in the city (but slightly more earth-contemporary) with a visible Writers mark on the post. The podium could come in two or three sizes, but should be consistent in appearance (right?), so as to be immediately recognizable to the explorer.

The journal itself could have a couple options that the writer could select from, including a black with gold-trim "classic novel" appearance, a basic hardcover book with the GoW colors and trim, and perhaps a template which allows for the design team to place their own "team logo" on the cover.

I also think that the journal should have a section for Maintainers' notes, with some kind of seal of approval (a la the DRC stamp) and a GoMa member(s) signature.
The Noble Robot

Postby Nadnerb » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:26 pm

I don't think that age credits should be something standardized. It should be up to the creator(s) of the age to credit themselves for creating the age somewhere in the age itself. If they don't want to, that's fine. If they want to create a credits billboard, that's fine too. It's their age, and there is no reason for the guild to impose homogenous features on other people's work. Personally, I would put my "credits" somewhere hidden or non-obvious as a sort of 'easter egg' rather than have an explicit journal, but that's just me.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Tweek » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:33 pm

Linking books are linking books, and should be left as such IMO.

If you want credits then put it in a Book of Commentary (tis what I did for Tefoonet'ahn). D'ni had books of commentary, chronicling the Age etc. Not difficult to say "Age written by Bob, restoration work by Tim Jeff and Mongo".
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Dovahn » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:18 pm

Nadnerb wrote:I don't think that age credits should be something standardized. It should be up to the creator(s) of the age to credit themselves for creating the age somewhere in the age itself. If they don't want to, that's fine. If they want to create a credits billboard, that's fine too. It's their age, and there is no reason for the guild to impose homogenous features on other people's work. Personally, I would put my "credits" somewhere hidden or non-obvious as a sort of 'easter egg' rather than have an explicit journal, but that's just me.

From my perspective, a hidden credit actually detracts from the immersion. On the other hand, if the credits were regulated and uniform, it would be kind of part of the story, and it would give the Guild of Writers some stability, so to speak. Explorers know that every age created by the guild will have this podium (like the DRC stamp on linking books).

That being said, I agree with tNR that exceptions would be allowed, especially if it would hurt the plot of the age, whatever that might be.

Dovahn
Dovahn

Postby Nadnerb » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:12 am

Dovahn wrote:From my perspective, a hidden credit actually detracts from the immersion. On the other hand, if the credits were regulated and uniform, it would be kind of part of the story, and it would give the Guild of Writers some stability, so to speak. Explorers know that every age created by the guild will have this podium (like the DRC stamp on linking books).

That being said, I agree with tNR that exceptions would be allowed, especially if it would hurt the plot of the age, whatever that might be.

I'm not really getting this... how can something you can't see detract from the immersion? Add to that, an ‘easter egg’ can make as much sense IC as it could OOC. In both cases, I wrote the age and then hid the credits. Personally, if there was any sort of puzzle in the age, the credits would be available upon completion.

Sure, the age could have a New GoM mark in it to show that it was approved by the new guild of maintainers, but a maintainer book of commentary, I would expect to see outside the age itself, possibly in whatever the Guild created age hub is.

Another thing, people keep referring to the ‘plot’ of an age, as though every age would have one. An age is a place, a location somewhere in space, not a narrative. If all the ages created by the guild are going to be IC created by the guild, then any sort of intrigue or back story can’t involve the writer of the age unless there is a considerable (IC) delay between the creation of the age and its release. Not even all cyan ages have significant 'plot'. Try and tell me the ‘plot’ of Eder Gira, or better, Delin, and you won’t get very far.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby belford » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:49 am

I was not, let me repeat, proposing a regulation or requirement for Age credits. I wanted to know if people were happy and/or comfortable with the idea, with the journal presentation, with other presentations. The whole system will be more comfortable to *players* if it's consistent across Ages, so it's good to toss the ideas around and let a concensus emerge.

(As for me: I intend to put my signature on anything I do; and if anybody collaborates with me on my work, then I'll include their names too. If I collaborate on other people's projects, I'll at least raise the subject of how the group intends to present acknowledgements.)
belford

Previous

Return to General Discussion