Age acknowledgements

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Age acknowledgements

Postby belford » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:04 am

Back at a Pub meeting two weeks ago, JFT mentioned the idea of credits:

JulyForToday: oh.. before I forget... we should also have some form of credit system eventually. People will want to be listed on the thingsd theyv worked on
Kzru: what they wright may inspire an age for some people
Paradox: JFT > I thnk credit will be left for Cyan to determine
JulyForToday: its a future thing anyways :)
Robert16: maybe we could find a clever way of incorporating the age credits directly into the age itself
Paradox: Notice that none of the current Ages have specific credit about who made them

I was also thinking about credits and acknowledgements. It's true that Cyan's Ages don't have credit lists -- but they're made by employees. The work is owned by the company. We're volunteers, and it's not the same situation.

I'm not proposing a rule here, but a suggestion: a "credits journal" at the start of an Age. Give the name, the date of release, the date of last update (if changes are made), and credit the people who contributed. I say a journal, rather than a sign or piece of paper, because there's no reason not to be detailed. There shouldn't be a size limit.

How would this appear in the game? Easiest answer is a journal lying on the ground by the link-in point. That breaks the sense of reality, but this is not necessarily a disaster. If everybody expects the credits, it's just a convention, like superimposed credits in a movie. (You see white letters floating past Bruce Willis's face, but you don't think it's part of the story world.)

(In an exhibit-style Age -- one which exists to show off a single model, effect, piece of music, etc -- there is no sense of reality, so there's no reason not to include credits directly in the Age. Like a museum sign.)

Depending on how Ages are integrated into UL, there may be other solutions. If there's a library room with linking books, you can put a credits journal next to each book. If they appear in a Nexus-like interface, there might be room in the terminal interface to display credits.
belford

Re: Age acknowledgements

Postby JulyForToday » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:22 am

Actually, I was thinking that when it came to credits they should be included on an Age List. For testing purposes, you can add such a journal, but for serious desired-to-be-in-MOUL content, you'd not want to have such a distraction to the story.

During the Guild System Meeting the other day, Aiden (GM of the GoC) said that the GoC already has an age list, but what I have is a much more comprehensive list than just the Age name and map. Think more along the lines of DPWR.
JulyForToday

Postby The Noble Robot » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:09 am

belford wrote:I'm not proposing a rule here, but a suggestion: a "credits journal" at the start of an Age. Give the name, the date of release, the date of last update (if changes are made), and credit the people who contributed. I say a journal, rather than a sign or piece of paper, because there's no reason not to be detailed. There shouldn't be a size limit.

I agree 100%. I'd like for the creators of the age to have recognition in-game, even if it's a bit OOC, so players don't have to be lurking forums to discover who worked on the game they just played (few will go through the effort, trust me). To add to the IC-ness and general value of such a journal, it should also have the field notes from the Maintainers (like how the DRC leaves cryptic journals "sorta-describing" an age or area), and any story morsels that the Writer(s) want to include, and hey, perhaps a URL for the current GoC map.

The IC construct could be that the Writers and Maintainers prepare this journal and place it near the link in point after completing an age. It would be on a pedestal in some ages, or laying on the ground in others. It doesn't have to distract from the design.

Or... if some Writers don't want it at the link-in point, they could build an "antechamber age," kinda like the Ahnonay cathedral, or a small nexus-like room, with the journal on one pedestal and the "real" linking book on the other. belford is right, as long as it's a consistent convention, it will work, and it also has the benefit of further signaling to the player that this is a GoW age and not a Cyan age (I say "further" because they're will be other signs, no doubt, like how you access the linking book, for example).

This is a brilliant idea, belford, and one I would love to champion.
The Noble Robot

Postby Kierra » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:08 pm

I don't think it would be OOC at all.

We're not allowed to create anything that is D'ni (as in, "oh, I found this D'ni age!"), so whatever the age is, its going to be Written by you, as in your avatar In Cavern.

So the idea of a scrap of paper lying around that says who "wrote" what isn't that unlikely. Specially if it is placed in some subtle place.

If you want to get real IC about it, you could make a "founding" plaque somewhere, something like "Founded by yada yada so on and so forth on whatever day"

Or you could do what I'll probably do...."plant" a flag somewhere ;) :lol:

~Kia
Kierra

Postby Owehn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:47 am

I don't know if it's even possible, but it seems to me like one way to add credits would be to put them on successive pages of the linking book you use to get there. Nice and out-of-the-way, but easy for anyone to see if they want.
Owehn

Postby JulyForToday » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:33 pm

Honestly, I disagree with having credit's in-game anywhere other than the Uru Credit journal. Maybe a 2nd Credit journal for fan contributions, but not really in the age itself.

As I was suggesting before, if the credits for each age were included in the entry for an age on a central inter-guild Age list (which would look something like this) than everyone who was really interested in looking to see who worked on an age could easily find what they are looking for.
JulyForToday

Postby The Noble Robot » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:58 pm

JulyForToday wrote:Honestly, I disagree with having credit's in-game anywhere other than the Uru Credit journal.

Firstly, what is the "Uru Credit Journal?" And second, I can't see why you wouldn't want people to be credited in a place that will actually be seen. You can disagree if you want, but please explain your opposition rather than just stating it.

As I was suggesting before, if the credits for each age were included in the entry for an age on a central inter-guild Age list

I don't think that's a bad idea, but if that's the only place to see credits, I feel that they'd get lost like that, and hardly anyone would read it. Putting the names of the writers (and contributors, and a Maintainer or two) in the game ties these ages to the community, and promotes/explains to newer explorers how much effort is required and how many people are involved.

The only reason *not* to do it would be technical reasons, or perhaps because it might distract from the design of the age (which is an argument no one has even made and I don't think would happen anyway).

But, to address that possible issue...

Owehn wrote:I don't know if it's even possible, but it seems to me like one way to add credits would be to put them on successive pages of the linking book you use to get there. Nice and out-of-the-way, but easy for anyone to see if they want.

BRILLIANT! I'm changing my support to this version of the idea. But I still think that that, too, would be a good place for Maintainer's notes and other IC and OOC details.

The community deserves to see who did what, and the people who volunteer their time and efforts deserve to get their names out there.
The Noble Robot

Postby Whilyam » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:28 pm

I wouldn't like the credits in the linking book as it ruins the immersion. Linking books don't have credits. I'd like a journal or a sign in the age or maybe in the Nexus/Fan-Age-Library Age.
Whilyam

Postby Pryftan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:54 pm

I think a journal in the Age would work great for this, mostly because when you're in an Age mousing around, and you see something you can click, who doesn't check it out? People would eventually stop looking in subsequent pages of Linking Books if they knew it'd just be credits.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby belford » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:04 pm

I could go with credits in the linking book, or in a journal in the Age.

I'm not *terribly* worried about immersion -- as I said, people understand artistic conventions. On the other hand, I don't want anyone to be confused about what's IC and what's OOC. If we wind up putting credit journals in an Age, we should make them distinctive; perhaps a big Writers symbol on the cover.
belford

Next

Return to General Discussion