New news from Cyan!

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Postby J'anim Paedet » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:55 pm

A few days ago I asked Tony to clarify if Age releasing was restricted purely to UU. I was expecting a resounding yes, but instead he told me that my Ages can indeed be released using UAM and the Alcugs server!

A bit irrelevant, I admit, now that the Volcano project has been unleashed. But even so, good news, on the whole!

It might take a few days on my part -- I'm working on a few upgrades for my already-released Ages, but I thought I'd just let you know. It seems I will be sending an email to Dustin after all!
(I hope I'm not breaking the terms by posting this, but I think clarifications are in the bounds for disussion)
J'anim Paedet

Postby Kedri » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:05 pm

:lol:

This is great news! After I release my age in Volcano, I'll put it on the UAM, too!
Kedri: Modeller and writer. KI# 72427
ImageImageImage
NaNoWriMo '07!
Kedri

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:12 am

WOOBA! :lol:

Terrific news! I think we'll still pursue the Volcano proposal, but in the meantime we can use UAM for the private exploration of new ages.

And I think it is fine for you to share this information on to us; otherwise, Cyan would have to re-tell each age builder the same thing.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Starfyre » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:19 am

Actually I think we should release most ages in UAM as well as Volcano. We will eventually run into the problem that caused Live to require broadband. The sheer numbers. And then dialup users will start to lag and then they won't come to the shard to explore.

Thats why I intend to have all New Tree Ages, Ahra Pahts included, be available through UAM also.
Starfyre

Postby J'anim Paedet » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:57 pm

Assuming, of course, that Dustin still feels inclined to help us in that respect -- the last time I emailed him, he sounded quite bitter on the subject of Cyan.
I'll send him another message, though, telling him of our current situation -- assuming that no-one has already done so.
J'anim Paedet

Postby Starfyre » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:04 pm

Last I heard he was willing to setup UAM for new ages as their released.
Starfyre

Postby zib_redlektab » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:52 am

i think someone should set up an ftp server, and all age builders can be given the name+password to it. this way, everyone can upload their ages, and everyone can edit the .dat to include their ages.

yeah, there are security issues to consider. i think that if we can find a way to simply lock ftp users in that one directory, and backup the age files every now and then, it should be safe (enough). B)
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby Starfyre » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:37 am

Actually on the current server that is not a problem. I can setup a user account. that would allow access to only that directory. The new server should have the same capabilities also.
Starfyre

Return to General Discussion