Don't muddy the water

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Postby The Enlightened » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:15 pm

I am very pleased to here the news of the volcano project and the approved release of fan-founded ages, but what concerns me is the disrupting effect it may have on the community. D'mala was a blessing. I would simply hate to see a community brought together, on one shard, to break up once age. I propose that we find a shard capable to hold the new found ages as well as an entire community. Many people have small shards, but we need one that can withstand every explorer that wishes to be brought together. Though I must admit, that may seem unreasonable due to my lack of technical knowledge. Though it is a noble goal.
The Enlightened

Postby Kedri » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:36 pm

I hope you don't mind an alternative viewpoint, Enlightened, but I disagree.

One shard would have all the people, yes, but only two, maybe three admins would have control over it. Should this main shard become corrupt, who would we run to?
Kedri: Modeller and writer. KI# 72427
ImageImageImage
NaNoWriMo '07!
Kedri

Postby The Enlightened » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:20 pm

I never said it would be a simple task. But the idea that started our age, was an age for the community, by the community. But what use is a community without it unity.
The Enlightened

Postby Starfyre » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:34 pm

I have to agree with T.E. but at the same time I agree with Kedri. T.E. has a point that we would be hindering Cyan's efforts by taking explorers away from D'mala. But at the same time without Fan Created Ages in the short run, anything Cyan does will die a quick death. People are tired of the Nice looking chat room. I too have grown tired of the chat room which is why I started AB in the first place. To bring new life if not to UU then to offline Uru. Right now the only way to place the content were working online is via Volcano. Cyan more then likely will not jump on the Volcano band wagon. At least not anytime soon. That means it falls on us to put together a shard with fan-created ages.
Starfyre

Postby zib_redlektab » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:39 pm

but if we get a cease&desist (not likely), we stop, right? :unsure:
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby Starfyre » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:41 pm

We would have to. Personally I wouldn't want to do anything that in the end could hurt Cyan.
Starfyre

Postby J'anim Paedet » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:08 pm

Well, if worst comes to worst, we could limit our productions solely to UAM. I don't think that would harm UU in any way, and Cyan did approve it.

But I don't think Cyan would have allowed Alcugs and Volcano in the first place if they thought it would hurt them. Consider how long it took them to come up with the new terms of release!
J'anim Paedet

Postby The Enlightened » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm

I fully back explorer found ages. Infact, I believe that it is one step close to what was live. And I agree that the whole chatroom aspect of UU was somewhat annoying. When I explore, I expect to find something new each time. With live, we were tosed a bone from time to time. With explorer found ages, we and take an active roll in finding, and improving, the ways to make our own meals. Sure, there is bound to be some dull, tasteless dishes, but those result eventually turn into magically confections. (Damn, I'm starving)

But I digress. There should be a single table in which we can serve a feast to our family, no-matter how big that table needs to be.
The Enlightened

Postby Kedri » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:35 pm

Enlightened, I half agree with you.

I still think there should be multiple shards, but I would prefer at least my age to only have one instance. That means everyone visiting it would go to only one version and not their own, quiet little version. Also, There should only be one Dataserver, meaning that everyone would get the same "Feast", this is why we asked agebuilder.org for a little server space. But I think that we deserve the choice to eat our part of the feast alone on a quiet shard.
Kedri: Modeller and writer. KI# 72427
ImageImageImage
NaNoWriMo '07!
Kedri

Postby The Enlightened » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:43 pm

I hate to sound like a crazy red man again, but that sounds very much like the schools I grew up in being seperate, but equal. And I will have to quote George Orwell when I say, "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others".
The Enlightened

Next

Return to General Discussion