Location of Volcano Dataserver?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:14 am

While we're waiting for Cyan to respond to our UU Shard Proposal, let's talk about the Volcano Dataserver.

Currently, I assume that the Volcano developers have a dataserver set up somewhere, which the client patcher will point the UU client to for downloading age data.

Let me suggest that we put the Volcano Dataserver on Starfyre's new server, once the proposal is approved by Cyan and the server is funded by us. This central location could also house the UAM age repository, for folks that want standalone browsing of the ages, or are unable to participate on the shard (e.g. dial-up connection, no Kagi key). Every time a fan-created age has received permission for distribution, the age creator can submit the age data to the server admins.

The Volcano client patcher would need to be modified in order to point to this new dataserver, but I'm assuming that would be a minor change.

How does the Volcano team feel about this? Or anyone else?

EDIT: On second thought, it makes more sense that the Volcano Dataserver be located in a neutral place, not associated with any shard. That way, the shards that use it are all on equal footing. Plus, the Volcano developers can place the dataserver where it would be easily accessed for maintenance.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Kedri » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:49 am

Currently, this is what's happening:

I sent my age to Zrax. He put it on the all-powerful dataserver. The dataserver then lets users download my age no matter what shard they're on, since there is only one dataserver, like Cyan's with the patch.

Also, the age files could not be the same source for the UAM, since they have to be altered to be playable in UU.

If I have anything wrong, please correct me, Zrax.
Kedri: Modeller and writer. KI# 72427
ImageImageImage
NaNoWriMo '07!
Kedri

Postby Zrax » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Nope, you are completely correct... And actually, I've been PMing Starfyre (EDIT: well I thought I was -- looks like I forgot to finish the PM which is why I haven't heard anything back yet :P) and TS Kimball while still looking at options for the Volcano DS. One thing I'm also considering is a portal for age developers to maintain versions and patches to their ages, but that will be a bit down the road -- plus, my PRP patch creator is still broken :P. Anywho, details are still being worked on, and I'll be sure to let you know when we have something ready to go. Sounds exciting :).
Zrax

Postby Kedri » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:45 pm

I like the portal idea...but remember what happened with the "Import player into UU" function ;)
ImageImageImage
NaNoWriMo '07!
Kedri

Postby Tylinol » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:30 pm

Wait...do you need a Kagi key for volcano or can you use a D'mala-style invite?
Tylinol

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:52 pm

kagi key only
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Tylinol » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:04 pm

:o

:unsure:

:(
Tylinol

Postby Kedri » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:42 pm

Considering it costs nothing to get an invite, I wonder if Cyan wouldn't mind us letting in people with one for free...

(Don't flame me! It's just an idea!)
ImageImageImage
NaNoWriMo '07!
Kedri

Postby Paradox » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:47 pm

I don't think there would be any problems. Of course you still wouldn't be able to do anything if you hadn't bought the game in the first place.
Paradox

Postby Starfyre » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:54 pm

Tylinol wrote: :o

:unsure:

:(

Which is why I wanted to have ages hosted on UAM also. For those who can't visit them in UU cause they didn't get a Kagi key.
Starfyre

Next

Return to General Discussion