Location of Volcano Dataserver?

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Postby Chogon » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:42 pm

Hi all.

I have seen y'alls proposal, however, since I'm not part of the legal team, I can't comment directly on that.

However, one of the things I was wondering about was the Volcano Dataserver. Is there any reason why it can't just server fan-created ages only? In other words, there would be no Cyan created ages (except for enough to run the game, such as avatars, global, etc.). A player that would connect to the volcano data server and one of your shards would only be able to play/visit fan-created ages. If they wanted to play Cyan created Uru ages then they would go to a standard UntilUru shard and data server.
This might make it more palatable to legal if there was no (little) copyrighted data being served outisde of Cyan control and make it easier to distinguish fan-create ages.

Also, I noticed elsewhere that there is discussion of creating your own nexus type age... that sounds like a good place for a Volcano player to start their exploration.

What do you guys think?

Chogon
(aka Mark DeForest of Cyan Worlds, Inc.)
Chogon

Postby ShadowDude » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:56 pm

Chogon wrote:Hi all.

I have seen y'alls proposal, however, since I'm not part of the legal team, I can't comment directly on that.

However, one of the things I was wondering about was the Volcano Dataserver. Is there any reason why it can't just server fan-created ages only? In other words, there would be no Cyan created ages (except for enough to run the game, such as avatars, global, etc.). A player that would connect to the volcano data server and one of your shards would only be able to play/visit fan-created ages. If they wanted to play Cyan created Uru ages then they would go to a standard UntilUru shard and data server.
This might make it more palatable to legal if there was no (little) copyrighted data being served outisde of Cyan control and make it easier to distinguish fan-create ages.

Also, I noticed elsewhere that there is discussion of creating your own nexus type age... that sounds like a good place for a Volcano player to start their exploration.

What do you guys think?

Chogon
(aka Mark DeForest of Cyan Worlds, Inc.)

Hiya Chogon! Glad to see someone at Cyan taking an interest in our Project :)

We're actually having a "sort of" meeting right now in D'mala in The Desert (14) hood, where we were hoping to clear up some misunderstandings that people were having about the Volcano Project, but we could also discuss you're idea there if you'd like :)

I'll probably be there for a while, drop by if you can!
ShadowDude

Postby zib_redlektab » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:56 pm

/me bows to chogon
:P
i think thats a great idea, is that meeting still going on? :huh:
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby ShadowDude » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:01 pm

That was really an accidental meeting that just sort of "happened".

It's over now, but we'll need to have another one as none of the issues that I wanted to talk about were discussed.
ShadowDude

Postby Zrax » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:06 pm

Hmm, that's a very interesting idea -- one which we hadn't really thought of before... At one point, we did start work on a special age for Volcano to serve as a sort of hub age for all the new ages, but then Myridean got her reply from Cyan that we weren't really allowed to do "hub" ages, so we kinda dropped that. However, if Cyan decides they would prefer something like this over a Mixed-content solution (both UU and Fan content), I know it's something we *could* accomplish, given some more time.

However, all is not really lost with regard to the copyrighted content either... I've mentioned a couple of times some scripting enhancements I've been working on towards the Dataserver, and one of the things this involves is an idea that would replace the dataserver as a bare, file-filled HTTP server like it is now, and replace it with either a location-mapped PHP script or a tomcat server (this option is less likely because 1: I'm less familiar with it and 2: Java can be a PITA to deal with :P), which would forward requests for Cyan's ages from to official dataserver, and handle local fan-made ages from the internal database. It's obvious to see where this would be a huge advantage both legally and content-management-wise, but I hadn't mentioned it before now because we've been focusing mostly on the details of Volcano itself for now.

So, just things to think about -- options to consider, as it were. Anyone on the volcano team knows that we don't take "impossible" for an answer XD.

Oh, and Zib: The meeting was unofficial, and the *real* meeting looks like it will take place at around 11PM EST...
Zrax

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:13 pm

Can I suggset that we have the meeting on TDS since it's the home of Volcano? We also don't need people coming in and changing the topic like they did during the unofficial meeting.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby ShadowDude » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:16 pm

Only reason I'd object to that is because some of the people here at Age Builder don't have a Kagi Key... I could setup a private Volcano Project hood on D'mala if you want.
ShadowDude

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:18 pm

Volcano will not be available on D'mala though, so I don't see the point. (period)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Besharen » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:14 pm

:(

I'm slightly upset with this statment. Many of us do not have Kagi Keys (myself, Tylinol, etc). One of the goals of AgeBuilders's is to make a single player/offline version of the ages, as well as an online version. I get the impression that you are thinking that Volcano will be the only source of fan ages. I deeply hope that that is not that case!

I know that this meeting is going to only be solely about the Volcano project, so I see why you think it should be on the TDS. BUT any discussion about Volcano is closely related to Age Creation! As the current leader of the New Tree project, I think it is unfair to exclude people who don't have keys, but are still very much involved in the Age Creation community! Would it be that difficult to have it on D'mala?

I want you to understand now that the Volcano will not be the only source of fan-made ages.

If you are unwilling to help those who did not have the chance to purchase keys, then I guess I'm done with this project. :unsure:
Besharen

Postby zib_redlektab » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:25 pm

cyan has made it clear that they arent putting volcano on d'mala (not just yet anyway), so as far as i can see the only option currently is fan ages.

trust me, if i could turn on the d'mala invite system, i would do it on my shard. B)

(and of course, offline the ages will be available too ;) )
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion