Ahnodovah

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Postby A'drian » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:58 am

I know next to nothing about the Plasma engine and age constuction. What are the logistics of a large building being underwater? Possible? Anyone see any reason it couldn't be done? (Edit: For clarity, what I guess I'm asking is, can the atmospherics I assume to be required for convincing 'underwater environment' be restricted to 'outside' of structures?)

Teaser test render:
(Edit: Removed; bandwidth & something better coming)
A'drian

Postby Kirk » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:44 am

While there is no such thing as "underwater" in Plasma (you can swim, but only at the surface) it shouldn't be too much trouble to make it look like the building is underwater... good use of distance fog, skybox and age lighting colors can go a long way.

realMYST had parts underwater (StoneShip) and it's built on Plasma 1.
Kirk

Postby zib_redlektab » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:45 am

the tricky part would come if you wanted a part where you leave the building. at that point you'd have to modify the actual engine.
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby Trylon » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:56 pm

Not neccessarily - CC/POTS supports tilted swim regions. You could put in a tilted (up to 90 degrees if I'm right) swim region (with optional current), and your character can swim/float to the surface.

Swimming down could be a bit jerky, but if the tilt isn't too high, it might not be too much of a problem.

EDIT: An airlock system wouldn't be impossible to do as well, it'd just require some fancy scripting.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby A'drian » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:58 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I hadn't planned on allowing the explorer "outside" of the underwater structures, just to keep things "simple". I have been toying with the idea of turning the whole structure/area into a (yes cliche) dome enclosed area. I think it would make atmosphere-restriction a bit easier if the "dry area" were just a giant hemisphere.
The story impact would be negligible. Anyhow, I should be able to post the rough plans for the Age soon, and look forward to hearing your opinions. Thanks again.
A'drian

Postby A'drian » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:32 am

Curse my inspiration! 'Ahnodovah' has undergone some serious changes. Behold, the new 'topside' area (unfinished of course, like I said, I 'sketch' in max) that will ultimately connect to the underwater structure. This means the Age probably shouldn't be called Ahnodovah anymore, so if anyone would like to suggest alternative naming-practices, I'm all ears/eyes. There are only so many words available in the D'ni dictionary, anyone come up with a nifty way to name ages?

Teaser test render:
(Edit: Removed; bandwidth & something better coming)
A'drian

Return to General Discussion