Volcan Proposal Status

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed May 10, 2006 6:21 am

I sent an email to Tony Fryman, congratulating Cyan on getting the funding for URU Live. I also extended an invitation to resume talks about Volcano and other age-building topics. He thanked me, and mentioned that Cyan is interested in continuing the dialog:
It will take some time to sort out but fan-created ages are high on the list and we'll be in-touch as plans progress.

And mark your calendars: Saturday 3 June is the tentative scheduled town hall meeting with Cyan regarding age building. See this link for the full schedule of town hall meetings:

http://www.drcsite.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=15667#15667
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Starfyre » Wed May 10, 2006 6:26 am

With the return of Live. I doubt they will ever give us approval for Volcano. Opting instead for all fan-created ages to be included in Live.
Starfyre

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed May 10, 2006 9:39 am

They still haven't answered my legal request for pyprp :(
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed May 10, 2006 10:08 am

[quote="AdamJohnso"] They still haven't answered my legal request for pyprp :(

Yeah - I'm sure that is a tricky legal question, since Rand said they were thinking about releasing their in-house MAX plugin for creating ages. At least we have the 3rd of June to bring up the PRP Blender Plugin issue. My personal preference is that they at least provide a fully-annotated file format document to the public, so they can build/improve age building tools for those of us who cannot afford MAX.

While sifting through the URU Live forums, I came across an interesting topic on how to integrate fan-created ages into URU Live:

http://urulive.cyanworlds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Starfyre » Wed May 10, 2006 10:47 am

Personally this makes me want to write a letter to Tony Fryman. And discuss the future of fan ages at length. It has always been my intention that everyone regardless of funding (I.E. can't pay the $10 a month to get in live) or don't have broadband to at least be able to download the fan ages so they can explore them offline.
Starfyre

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed May 10, 2006 12:29 pm

[quote="Starfyre"] Personally this makes me want to write a letter to Tony Fryman. And discuss the future of fan ages at length. It has always been my intention that everyone regardless of funding (I.E. can't pay the $10 a month to get in live) or don't have broadband to at least be able to download the fan ages so they can explore them offline.

I don't believe that anything Tony has said will prevent people from doing just that, Starfyre. No matter what they plan, people still should be able to create/explore fan-created ages on their own.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Starfyre » Wed May 10, 2006 1:59 pm

Cyan may not want that though. Their wanting to make money. And anything that is free such as UAM would take money out of their pockets.
Starfyre

Postby Owehn » Wed May 10, 2006 3:06 pm

[quote="Starfyre"] And anything that is free such as UAM would take money out of their pockets.

I don't know about that. It seems like saying that cars that pass you on the highway make you late.
Owehn

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed May 10, 2006 7:47 pm

[quote="Starfyre"] Cyan may not want that though. Their wanting to make money. And anything that is free such as UAM would take money out of their pockets.

Well, Moke will be talking about money this Thursday (tomorrow). Maybe you could put the question to him and settle it.

And to make Adam happy, maybe you could sneak in a question about the plugin... ;-)

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu May 11, 2006 4:57 am

Please do since I will be unable to attend... I will going to these upcoming meetings as soon as school lets out (Tuesday w00t) and raising the question about the plugin (at everyone, even the IC ones... "Unapproved books"). I am tired of developing in secret... (I want the world to tremble before my python code... LOL) Anyway, just as a status update I am currently refactoring plDrawableSpans which stores the Geometry... (ugh)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Next

Return to General Discussion