Idea for sequence prefixes/uam

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Postby zib_redlektab » Sat May 20, 2006 5:17 pm

Ok so here's my idea for solving the sequence prefix issue (if there is one, it may just be my pet peeve). The issue (in my view) is this: the fact that everyone takes out-of-order numbers. Perhaps when submitting an age (thats another part, see below), it tells you (thru the magic of a db and php) what the prefix # should be (it picks the next unused number). Then we have someone who reviews the file and makes sure the prefix is right. Once it passes screening, it is then made public.

My idea for UAM is to actually make a website (uam.agebuilder.org?) for uploading the files to the uam server. It would have 3-7 boxes where you would put the locations of the prps on your computer, as well as the fni, sum, and python files plus the automatically-generated prefix #. The site would get an ftp connection to the server, and the age would be checked by a human (I'd do it, if nobody else wants to) for the right prefix, and to make sure it isn't spam, I guess.

Yes, the prefix fix (ha ha) would require all old fan ages to be reinstalled to avoid prefix clashes, and the site would have to be written, but I can see it working... :huh:

Of course, it's just an idea. :rolleyes:
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat May 20, 2006 6:22 pm

That would be more pain than it's worth really. You'd have to delete all saved games that you visited fan ages on. And shards that have fans ages on them would have to have their vaults trashed. And don't say none of the important shards with big vaults run fan made ages BECAUSE my shard and TDS run fan made ages and they have huge vaults.

--EDIT--
Might I add that the prefixes are ticking time bombs? If you screw with them, they're gonna explode on you. And if they do, don't come crying to me. I'll laugh at you if they do.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Kirk » Sat May 20, 2006 6:47 pm

So why'd you screw with them? ;)

With this reasoning you only have two options really. Leave it be, get chaos (basically, what happened with weapon IDs in Total Annihilation) or have one central list. The second is in place, somewhat, but the only real organisation of them can be done by Cyan, I think.
Kirk

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat May 20, 2006 7:50 pm

QUOTE ("Kirk")

the only real organisation of them can be done by Cyan, I think.
[/quote]

Indeed. I am hoping that in live that Cyan will do away with these silly numbers.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Ailaera » Sat May 20, 2006 8:17 pm

This is my understanding on Uploading Ages via a website. It wouldn't work. My understanding is that certain things in the dat file have to conform to certain things. Basically let's take Kato's House and Lab. It has a sequence prefix of 105. Well to make things simple Dustin tied all of files for the age into that Sequence Prefix. For example. UAM download's Kato's House and Lab from http://uruagemanage.agebuilder.org/fanages/105v1. Ok let's assume Kato makes a v2. So that V1 is still downloadable Kato would have to upload V2 to http://uruagemanager.agebuilder.org/fanages/105v2. To do that would require someone setting that directory in advanced. Giving Kato access to FTP the age onto the server.

I think what Starfyre intends to do is go in and say you want to upload an age. Well I don't have anonymous ftp so I will have to give you my ftp password and have a leap of faith. Then you have to follow my instructions to the letter. Then when your done she changes the password.
Ailaera

Postby Kirk » Sun May 21, 2006 6:12 am

There are other methods than FTP to upload files to a server, most prominently through PHP. Then you'd get a little webinterface and stuff.
Kirk

Postby Ailaera » Sun May 21, 2006 2:39 pm

I personally don't have PHP knowledge. I am a little old fashioned having learned only HTML and nothing else. Even my HTML knowledge is a decade old. I know what I need to get by.

Now if someone were to write up something would work then submit it to Starfyre I am sure she would happily put it up. That way all she would have to do is update the dat file. But the php script I am assuming would have to have write priveledges on the directory so that it can create the needed directory. Otherwise it would require manually moving the age to its correct location from wherever it was uploaded.
Ailaera

Postby Kirk » Mon May 22, 2006 12:49 am

PHP scripts operate with (generally) Apache rights within the Linux operating system, so they can do whatever they like in their directories. The thing is that you'd need a (secure) system around it... not too much trouble for the right person, but still.
Kirk

Postby zib_redlektab » Mon May 22, 2006 5:10 pm

What kind of access does Starfyre have to this server? If we can add users to the ftp, we can just make a directory for each age builder and make a public account that's restricted to that directory. Still a leap of faith (as in, hoping the ages don't all get deleted), but it won't require a password change every time, and perhaps with people making backups of the folder we won't even have to worry so much about deleting or unauthorized mods. :huh:
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby Ailaera » Mon May 22, 2006 5:43 pm

Being familiar with Plesk myself. I can say that there is only two ways to do ftp. One is to change the password. The other would be to setup a webuser account. Basically the web user account would be http://agebuilder.org/~Ailaera/ (subsitute Ailaera for whatever Kato or J'anim, etc.) Which would defeat the purpose of placing UAM in its own subdomain as none of the ages would be in that subdomain they would all reside in the main domain. I will talk to Starfyre and see if there is a way to get annonymouse ftp turned on. All that would require then is the age moved to the proper location.
Ailaera

Return to General Discussion