Chogon on Uru Live Age Building Tools

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:47 am

Earlier, I had sent Mark DeForest ("Chogon") a question, asking whether they would be willing to release the TPOTS 3D Studio Max plugin to the age building community. Here's his reply:

I don't think that we would release the TPOTS plugins, sounds like too much of a headache trying to make sure those still run... and even have to spend time trying to dig them up.

I'm not sure what/how things are going to work for fan-created ages but there is a good possibility that it might at first involve the UruLive plugins in an as-is basis, with whatever little documentation we have and hopefully some kind of example file... and mostly just let you guys figure 'em out. But the new UruLIve will be online only (i.e. it will have to connect to a server). So, there will have to be some kinda server for age creates to update and run their creations. So many things to figure out!

"Some kinda server" - hmm... Volcano, anyone?

:D
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby zib_redlektab » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:10 am

I say we should keep developing our ages in blender, and the volcano group should keep developing volcano, and then just tweak both for live when it comes out. what would be even better is if the volcano team were all invited to beta so they can get a real feel for live, and try to write volcano for it...

...and maybe one or two agebuilders as well? zib wouldn't mind being in beta... :P :rolleyes: (i can hope, cant i?)
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby Aloys » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:43 am

it might at first involve the UruLive plugins in an as-is basis, with whatever little documentation we have and hopefully some kind of example file... and mostly just let you guys figure 'em out

Perfect. We don't need anything more. :) Well we might, but anything more would just delay the release date.

Though it's easy to understand why they won't release the tPotS version of their tools, it's too bad; because as cool as Live will be, it isn't exactly the most straightforward way to test Ages..
To test an Age we'll need to: have at least one server, have it accessible to anyone so we can upload the Ages on it (or ahve some other way like UAM), we'll have to then connect to it to check whatever's needed, hope it doesn't crash. Etc... *ugh*. Tons of time lost and resources monopolized..
That's just not possible practically, you can't develop something totally online. We need an offline way to test those.

But I don't see how we could run anything offline seeing how the Live client only runs when connected to a server. Unless Volcano is easy to install on anyone's machine (Windows OS of course) and we can all have our private Test server.. I haven't had time to follow much the Volcano project so I might miss some obvious things here.
Aloys

Postby Starfyre » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:52 am

When Live comes out there will be no way to test the age in actuality. Live Ages won't be playable on Prime. And of course were going to have to program Live Ages from the get go when Live is released this holiday season.
Starfyre

Postby zib_redlektab » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:39 pm

I can see it working, if there is a server choice screen, then we just have it connect to a non-official server. we'd need to get the live server code, but once we get that we have our own dev server

(and as always, i offer my server for a dev server until a better one can be found ;) )
Lurker extraordinaire!
zib_redlektab

Postby Aloys » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:28 pm

I think it's a given that they won't distribute the Live server files. But we do need a way to test Ages offline or somewhere else than on the official servers. Testing there would be long, cumbersome, and possibly risky for the server (wouldn't want to crash a server because of a bug in an Age). It'd be limiting in so many ways that it'd make Age testing essentially impratical.

So we need a way. And I'm sure Cyan has or will think of one. But it's probably still too early for them to thing about it.
Aloys

Postby zib_redlektab » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:14 pm

I think there was an idea before of seamless server switching, so that if an age has a bug they can just shut down one or two ages, not the whole thing.

perhaps the same thing could be done like that, with the fan ages and a switcher to the main one.
Lurker extraordinaire!
zib_redlektab

Postby The Enlightened » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:57 am

I think that is at least good news that Cyan continues to show support. Though I must admit, I have been out of the loop for a while
The Enlightened

Return to General Discussion