DLC - D'ni Location (Creation) Contest

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: DLC - D'ni Location (Creation) Contest

Postby Tweek » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:22 am

I'd be interested in this, not interested in building it in 3DSM though.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby rustee » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:44 am

I've already started! :roll:

Tweek, 3DSM reads almost like BDSM. Just call it Max :)
rustee

Postby Jadawin12 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:33 am

I am greatly looking forward to this! Maybe I'll even participate if the idea hits me... in the mean time I think I'll just look forward to the great projects coming. Particuarly that Opera House!
Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom
KI: 01632887
Jadawin12

Postby GPNMilano » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:54 am

I think we all know where I stand on a D'ni Location Creation Contest. I share Tweek's hesitance to use Max to build. I've been spending the last few days converting ChloesHoodOffice into MOULa compatible format with Max and...yeah not fun. But it's a great learning process for me to use another modeling program after using blender for 3+ years.

So yeah, you can count me in. I've been itching to create another new area of D'ni and have a project in the back of my mind already.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Whilyam » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:00 pm

I could do something like that in the next couple months. I'd prefer not to have it be "rapid" like the previous contest, though. That may have scared people away. Size restriction on explorable terrain might be a good idea, though. Hood size? Guild pub? Smaller?
Whilyam

Postby kaelisebonrai » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:41 pm

Whilyam: I agree on the lack of "rapid", size restriction sounds good, though. Hood size might be a good "upper maximum", but, not sure. What does everybody else think?

EDIT: also, definitely not keen on being 3dsmax only, myself. I've spent a few years on learning blender, and while I started with 3dsmax, I don't think I could go back, to be honest. =P
kaelisebonrai

Postby GPNMilano » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:58 pm

kaelisebonrai wrote:Whilyam: I agree on the lack of "rapid", size restriction sounds good, though. Hood size might be a good "upper maximum", but, not sure. What does everybody else think?

EDIT: also, definitely not keen on being 3dsmax only, myself. I've spent a few years on learning blender, and while I started with 3dsmax, I don't think I could go back, to be honest. =P

You could always do what I plan on doing. I like Cyan's plugin, but hate 3dsMax's interface for modeling and texturing, so I plan on building the models and uv mapping them in blender. Then exporting to 3dsMax and making the actual age stuff there.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby kaelisebonrai » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:02 pm

GPNMilano wrote:
kaelisebonrai wrote:Whilyam: I agree on the lack of "rapid", size restriction sounds good, though. Hood size might be a good "upper maximum", but, not sure. What does everybody else think?

You could always do what I plan on doing. I like Cyan's plugin, but hate 3dsMax's interface for modeling and texturing, so I plan on building the models and uv mapping them in blender. Then exporting to 3dsMax and making the actual age stuff there.

Well, that /is/ a possibility, but, there's also the difficulty of finding a workable version of 3dsmax, too. =P
kaelisebonrai

Postby Aloys » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:36 am

Whilyam wrote:That may have scared people away. Size restriction on explorable terrain might be a good idea, though. Hood size? Guild pub? Smaller?

Restrictions are always a good idea for a contest. Restrictions foster creativity and participation. Hood size sound decent. (and I do not mention that at all because I have a Hood in the works.. :oops: )

I like Cyan's plugin, but hate 3dsMax's interface for modeling and texturing, so I plan on building the models and uv mapping them in blender. Then exporting to 3dsMax and making the actual age stuff there.
That's what I'm leaning toward more and more as well. Integration and wiring is just to much work for me with PyPRP; that's an area where the Max plugin has a decisive advantage. Past the modelling/mapping work there's still a fair bit of art work (materials, lighting etc) but nothing that is harder than with Blender. And for someone like me who work alone on some projects it's wonderful to be able to integrate stuff easily.
Aloys

Postby Aloys » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:22 am

*Bump*
I still think this contest is a good idea; however we are getting closer to may/june and that may not be the best time for that: lots of student preparing their exams, and lots of workers finishing projects before the summer vacations.. Regardless of that I think we should still make it anyway. For two reasons: first because we can always make another contest later on, and second because those who will be able to participate will produce nice Ages and that's always a good thing to have. :)
Aloys

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion