Ambassadors

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Ambassadors

Postby Pryftan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:24 pm

In an attempt to try and form some sort of solid Guild structure, I tossed out the idea of having ambassadors elected to communicate with the other Guilds (and maybe in fact be an active member of both?). I hope nobody minds if I repost the general concept from the MOUL forums here.

After the meeting we held in the GoW Pub, the prevailing opinion of the group was that while electing a Guildmaster or a council of leaders was probably not necessary, it might be a good idea to elect ambassadors to open solid lines of communication between the Writers and the other Guilds. At the end of the meeting, I offered to write up a quick summary of each of the positions that would be necessary in a scheme like this. Here's some general descriptions.

Ambassador: An ambassador will be an elected representative of the Guild of Writers. They will not be leaders; rather, in a way, they will be servants of their Guild. Most of the time, they will be an ordinary member, but when we need to contact one of the other Guilds (or Cyan) we will send our ambassador to them, who will represent the wishes of the majority of the Guild of Writers. Ambassadors will be elected by forum poll; anyone running for the position of ambassador should be around frequent enough to be able to fufill their duties at any time, not just during episode weeks. The following ambassadors will be needed:

Ambassador to Cyan: The Writers will have to establish a way of contacting Cyan when we have a new Age to release, as they will have to have a hand in uploading and giving access to any ages hosted on the MOUL servers. As "communicating with Cyan" is a rather difficult undertaking, those running for this position should probably have experience with dealing with Cyan in the past.

Ambassador to the Guild of Maintainers: We will have to keep in almost constant communication with the Maintainers, to whom we will submit Ages for testing and ranking before they become public. In the final phases of our building of an Age, our ambassador should keep the Maintainers informed as to its progress and details, including a tentative date it may be released to them. The ambassador will also be the first to be informed of the rank the Maintainers have assigned to the Age, and if applicable, the bugs they have found. If bugs are found by the Maintainers the process will have to repeat itself; if the Age is ranked low, the ambassador will return to the Guild to discuss whether or not the Age can be changed for the better. This will probably be our busiest Guild ambassador.

Ambassador to the Guild of Messengers: The Writers will want to inform the Cavern on their progress in Age Creation, and a good relationship with the Guild of Messengers will be the easiest way to do so. However, the announcements will involve a great deal of translation from the technical OOC jumble the Writers will often use to communicate amongst themselves into IC terms for almost everything. For instance, if we are in the testing phase of a notable Age, we can ask the Messengers to announce that we have finished writing a Book and are currently proofreading it carefully for any contradictions in the text. We will not have to detail our progress for every Age, but we doubtless will want to for our first and any Ages that represent significant advancements on the part of the Guild.

Ambassador to the Guild of Cartographers: The function of this ambassador will remain sketchy for the moment; we don't yet know how we want our relationship with the GoC to function. It may be that the Guild participates in Age planning; in this case, the ambassador will relay information about new Ages to the Guild so they can create maps we can build off. More likely, perhaps, the Guild will be mapping Ages after their creation and release to the public. If this is what happens we may decide to allow the Guild early access to large Ages and the ambassador would work that sort of thing out.

Ambassador to the Guild of Greeters: Not that this Guild won't be important for recruiting new members, but I don't really see the need for an ambassador to the Guild of Greeters. If anybody thinks something essential will be lost if we don't have one, please let me know, but until then my opinion is that this position is extraneous.

The response to this on the MOUL forum was vastly different than what I encountered in the Pub, so I'd like to see how this is recieved on our own message board.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Return to General Discussion