Blender

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Blender

Postby Jojon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:15 am

Pryftan wrote:Well Jojon, Justin's using a tutorial written for Blender, not for the PyPRP plugin. There's a lot of stuff in the Blender tutorials that doesn't translate or at least not the same when exporting to an Age.. but learning it anyway is a good idea in terms of getting comfortable with Blender.

*sigh* I am awfully sorry, people, but I am going to make this about myself now - you have been warned and can easily skip the rest. :7
I have never been the most structured writer and have at times found myself arguing for tens of minutes with somebody, only for us to realise in the end, that we'd been in agreement all along -- we'd just expressed ourselves in different ways. Since this has happened to me more than once, I conclude it is I, that have a hard time getting my point across.

Still; never have I experienced so much of people reading way too much into anything I say, as I've done in the few days I have been a member of this forum. If I made it sound like I was pointedly suggesting things, I am terribly sorry; I had no intention to do so and realise perfectly well, that the tutorial in question was aimed at Blender and not pyPRP. Ok, early there, I was actually making a discrete, rather than pointed, suggestion to that very effect. Maybe I should have started a new thread, to make the distinction perfectly clear, although I still think this was a good time to raise the issue and that having distinct notes, whenever Blender differs from what the exporter makes of it, should save you a lot of FAQ writing - especially with people that are already well familiar with Blender, which, I agree, it is always good to learn more about.

Ok, emo-mode off. :7
Jojon

Postby Pryftan » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:30 am

Jojon, I wasn't responding in an offended manner or anything, I was just pointing out that Justin's doing this tutorial because I sent him a link for general Blender tutorials. I don't know where you want there to be notes about what is different between Blender and Plasma, but it seemed to me like you either didn't know he was using a general Blender tutorial, or were saying they should be in general Blender tutorials despite the fact that these tutorials are widely distributed for more than just GoW use. Perhaps I'm still not understanding where you would like such notes to be displayed, but it's no big deal. He knows what's going on now, and that's what's important.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Jojon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:55 pm

Pryftan wrote:Jojon, I wasn't responding in an offended manner or anything,
Glad to hear it - looks like I do most of the excessive inter-line reading myself. :7

As for where the notes would go: into the pyPRP reference documentation and hopefully carried over to blending-for-Uru tutorials. Just a little "NB: pyPRP does doesn't use this value for quite the same thing as Blender." in bold and perhaps a short explanation of the difference, to save people from making assumptions, rather than read the full description.
It is good if everybody understands how Blender settings are "repurposed", I think -- then they don't have to have any "Why on earth is this in THAT panel?!?", or "Why does the button that says X do Y?" moments
Jojon

Previous

Return to General Discussion