Blender

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Blender

Postby Pryftan » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:01 pm

..? Makes all the cubes little spheres in a box? Think you can post a screenshot or something? The only thing I can think of is that instead of extruding you made a bunch of seperate cubes or something.

Your first problem looks like it was caused by not pressing 1, 3, or 7 on the numpad to make your view center on the proper axis. Looks almost like you rotated your view though I don't understand why the grid was showing.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Owehn » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:07 pm

Try (in edit mode) selecting all the vertices (push A once or twice) and then press W, and select "Remove Doubles". That might be the cause.
Owehn

Postby Justintime9 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:27 pm

I think i know wat is was... I created some of the boxes seperatly instead of using Extrustions... but i got kinda stuck, u see, i started out the 1st leg: (+=cube) +
+
+
+
+ now, u see, i started from the bottom one, and used extrusions up to the top one... but then i needed to finish the bottom part of the body. so i got this far (o, and btw, srry if this is confuzing, but I'm too lazy to get actuall pics :P): + + + now, u see after i did the 1st leg, i went to the right, and than back down. now... here's
+ + where the problem begins... do u see the cube in between the two legs, connecting them?
+ + well, i needed to select that one to continue extrusions... but i was having trouble selecting
+ + the right parts, so i just created a new cube and pasted it there. how can i select the
+ + middle cube, without accidentally selecting the other points of the surrounding cubes?

Edit: Argh, when i submit this message it messes them up :x well... hopefully u still get wat i mean? /me looks up hopefully
Justintime9

Postby Pryftan » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:17 pm

Justin, if you make a new piece, it doesn't automatically connect itself to the mesh you were working on. The way you did it sounds perfectly acceptable as long as you already know Blender well enough to merge the new piece to the old, and since you're new to this you shouldn't be trying that yet. You need to select and delete anything that's not connected to the main section of your figure or it won't subsurf properly.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Justintime9 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:42 am

i did the remove doubles thingie... and it kinda worked.... it made there be a bunch of long cylinders that aren't all connected! ... here, i'll post a pic
Justintime9

Postby Owehn » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:13 am

Ok, the trouble is that you have faces inside the surface of your person. Try going to face select mode, and looking for faces that go right in between those parts of the model that seem disconnected. Select them (this may be easier in perspective - press 5 on the numpad) and then press x, choosing "delete only faces" or something like that.
Owehn

Postby Justintime9 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:45 am

ok, i got alot further than last time, all the way up to here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D ... ic_Terrain
but... I can't get the texture to appear on the hills!!! I did everything it told me to do, but the grass texture I uploaded doesn't appear on it!!!!!! arrrghhhh!!!!!!
Justintime9

Postby DaveRamos » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:32 am

Do you mean something like this?

The box allows you to edit the subsurface beneath it as a whole. Select a vertice of the box, and the subsurfed object will be edited as well. If you dont want the box, and just want the subsurfed box, select "Apply Modifier to edditing cage during edit mode" (see red circle), the button will turn into a triangle with three vertices on it....This will allow you to select just the vertices from the subsurf object itself...

this will give you this:

Does this help?

DR
DaveRamos

Postby Justintime9 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:34 pm

Not really, rite now my problem is trying to get textures onto the Hills on the tutorial.
Justintime9

Postby Kierra » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:27 pm

hm, screenshot? (posting screenshots always help people figure out what your missing/doing wrong ) :D

And don't worry if you feel like your beating your head against a wall trying to learn blender. I spent about a week going "It doesn't make any sense!!"

And then suddenly the clouds parted, my headache went away, and Blender was fun to use.

:D

~Kia
Kierra

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion