A Pre-GoMa questions.......

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

A Pre-GoMa questions.......

Postby andylegate » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:13 am

Hello all, love the way your forum looks!

Something that we have been discussing over at the Pre-GoMa is things that we can do or try to do right now. The Maintainers Guild has a unique problem, in that is can be quite hard to practice our main trade: Inspecting Ages.

All the other guilds seem to have things that they can go ahead and work with or practice with. Here, all of you can work on your writing and storytelling skills, 3D modeling skills, coding, etc.
The GoC can continue to make maps.
The GoG can continue to help new explorers.
And the GoMe can work with and practice on reporting news, relaying, messaging.

As you can see, these are very viable things that these guilds can do and work with. The Maintainers have a unique problem, in that their main trade is not something that can be easily done.
New explorers that have not completed all the Ages that are currently in MOUL have the advantage of "practicing" being a Age Inspector for the Maintainers quite easily, but for many of us, we have to wait until something new is issued by Cyan.
Luckly, this next up coming episode, we are getting 3 new areas to explore and practice our trade.

The question that some of us have is:
Is it possible for the GoMa to use fan created ages that can be loaded up on our computers at home using the offline version of Uru (CC) to practice exploring new and different areas?
This would be a incredibly useful tool for the GoMa.
We also thought it would give us a chance to work with the GoW in learning how to communicate with your guild things that we've found in the Age given to us to explore and inspect, both IC and OOC things.

As we progress forward with trying to build these guilds, we felt that it is important to work with each and every guild. If you look at the Myst Books, you'll find that the Maintainers seem to work with the many guilds. It would also seem that the Maintainers worked very closely with the GoW, direct proof of this can be found in Gahreesen. Look everywhere and you'll think of how it was an Age dedicated for the Maintainers. However, step into either of the "Conference" rooms located in the second building, and you will find the rooms COVERED in the Writers Guild Symbol!

We'd like to get all of your thoughts, ideas, and opinions on this.

Thanks!
Andy Legate
Pre-GoMa supporter.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Re: A Pre-GoMa questions.......

Postby Trylon » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:02 am

Right now, you can already download a couple of ages through ULM.

Check http://ulm.hbyte.net/
The link for the client is on the bottom of the index page.

Come to think of it, it might be possible to implement a special section for maintainer info in ULM if it should turn out neccessary.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Lehm » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:58 am

As for what you can do I'm not sure. But the question that has come up here is what our relation to the other guilds will be. From what I understand the IC perpose of the GoM is to inspect ages to ensure that they are stable and no one has been messing with them. OOC the Ages that are created will need to be tested to make sure they work correctly. So basically QA. Personally I think it would be good to have an out side perspective during that phase of creation. Is this something your guild might be interested in helping with?
Lehm

Postby andylegate » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:53 pm

Lehm,
Not only interested, but if you jump to Kirel and read the sheet that describes the Maintainers, it would seem this is what Cyan intends for the Maintainers to be doing.

Trylon,

Thanks for the PM and suggestions!
andylegate

Postby Pryftan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:06 pm

Hey Andy, good to see you. I've been wondering about how the Writers and Maintainers should work together.. I know definitely it'd be great to have you test our Ages, but a lot of people have floated the ideas of ranking our Ages as well to let explorers know what of our work is best, or most challenging puzzlewise, etc. Do you have any such system in mind?
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby andylegate » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:52 am

@Pryftan
Off the top of my head: no. But! This would be something that we (GoMa and GoW) would have to work together on. Don't want the GoW thinking something is simple and the Maintainers mark it as "Hard as all get out!"

Short and sweet: All the people helping make the Maintainers that I've talked to so far have gone "Gah Gah" over this. They are VERY, VERY excited about working with all of you.

We knew what are main job was going to be. We just didn't know how to practice it. But by letting us try out Ages that are being created over here does many, many things at once:
Helps ease the burden on the GoW of "Beta" testing something new. Outsiders have a fresh perspective.
Allows for a group outside of the GoW to appriciate what has been made and see all the hard work that goes into it. (I know how hard it can be, as I used to make map levels for several FPS games).
Promotes different Guilds working together. Right now it would be between the GoW and GoMa, but later on, it will also help both of our guilds communicate with the other guilds too.
It gives us (GoMa) something to do!! I mean, we have been working on our structure, leaders, etc (politics), and we have some project ideas of our own (Book of Commentary, Pub Clean up) but none of those are really Cyan sactioned,etc.

I downloaded and tried out the ULM last night. Thumbsup! Great job on that Trylon!!!! And the people over at GoMa are VERY interested in working with it!

So I've got a feeling that y'all might have some GoMa people showing up over here like Navy Seals: Maintainers, we're here to help! And y'all can pat us on the head and go: Good boy! and send us where you need us. ;) That's pretty much how it worked in the D'ni world anyways! :D
andylegate

Return to General Discussion