The Uam Shard!

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: The Uam Shard!

Postby D'nial » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:37 pm

I, for one, would like to congratulate everyone involved in the production of this tool, as I'm sure it will be an invaluable asset in the ongoing effort to kill Uru once and for all. Muahaha...
If I had a signature, this is where it would be...
D'nial

Location: In a world where all men are guilty until proven dead!

Postby J'Kla » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:38 pm

Note this is not an atempt to have a fight it's a clarification of position. Something I reserve the right to have second or even 'n' thoughts about.

I've wanted access to this option for development since I had a share in a Beta test of fan stuff on H'uru (A private) shard during the UntilUru days before D'mala so if there's any thunder to steal it was stolen long ago.

One of the biggest arguments against this is that it pushes the Cyan IR issue.

Now all I want is to find and solve problems in my own age and posibly help others solve problems in theirs. I don't want to get access to ages hacked from Cyan and if I could do this without seeing any Cyan stuff then I would.

I would acctually prefer to run something personal inside a firewall but then the help I could muster would have me locked up (for talking to myself which I may be dooing here).

Whilyam if you dont want to use it then don't use it but don't try and pontificate from some moral high ground it's unbecoming. If a better one comes along later and it is better then we will probably all move to it Including Dustin (although I shouldn't realy speak for him)(apollogies Dustin).

I don't read anything into firsts to do something. It wasn't a race and it still is not a race. I will continue to use each and EVERY tool presented to me in order to produce a valid age.

Dustin has released something and has made it feely available it's not like he's trying to make a fast buck.

If truth be known I probably don't like the idea of hacking Cyan ages and worlds into development space but I am not about to veto a tool becuse it's used in a dubious way elswhere.

That's like not using battery power to start my car because some one somewhere is using it to hard wire someones gonads (and I don't mean for fun purposes with consent). :)

A veto will not make this go away Dustin would probably run it if it was occupied by him and a deceased flemish nun. (That's a reference to Mother Teresa of Calcutta BTW).

So if you don't like it and you want to wait for something else, then go wait I don't mind it's a free world (within reason). :D

So you get this clear when I thank Dustin it's because I like what he's made available for ME to use.

THANKS DUSTIN
J'Kla

Postby N. Sigismund » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:58 pm

Neat! Shame I'm in France for the next 10 days. I'd like to check this out. :)
For reference:
IC: Nye Morgan
OOC: Sigismund, Nye, Huw Dawson
N. Sigismund

Postby Wamduskasapa » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:26 pm

Dustin I have had no real problem with the Shard except for what we discussed while in Ae'gura. Here are the 3 Screen shots I promised

Image Image Image For a larger view click the thumbnail

Again THANK YOU for making this available to all of us
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Karkadann » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:35 pm

One more display from the Guild of Writers to suggest that they have what it takes to deal with the issues of open source?
Or maybe one step closer, something to keep people interested in Uru LIve while we wait. Or perhaps even a small sample of what may be in store as far as new ages and their potential.

Dont be supprised if some one from Cyan stops by for a peek.
Heck if I where them and I put so much work into such a wonderful place such as Uru live or Uru CC I would definitely wanna keep updated as to what you guys are doing to a work of art I put so much into.
In any case Curiosity has got the best of me.

Thanks ddb174
We can only hope this project will be beneficial to all parties involved
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Chacal » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:26 pm

Works quite well. Thanks Dustin!
It was about time we had a public shard.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Karkadann » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:53 pm

I was wondering, this shard is it an update to Uru CC or is it a separate program or either and or. Cuz I put patch into a sub folder in my Uru CC folder clicked on it and it downloaded copy of the whole game in the sub folder and Im kinda wondering if thats why its taking so long to go from one age to the next.

Edit. Never mind I seemed to have downloaded it as a separate program, my Uru CC is still an offline version and I am downloading every age from the server. I guess I should have ran run UruSetup.exe in my Uru CC folder. Im not sure whether to start from scratch or not at this point.I guess computers just aint my thing.
Last edited by Karkadann on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby J'Kla » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:38 pm

I had the same issue Wamduskasapa with the communications I put it down to a bandwith thing and no more than the Network error I get on MOULa.

There's got to be teething problems and as a resource it has to be worth it.

I have had overnight to think about what Whilyam said and although it did read like sour grapes I do however stand by the statement If you don't like it don't use it.

I don't want to make an issue over the statement. So I am making an open pre-emptive apollogy

I have tried it out and we have allready spotted multi user bug that could never have been seen in any other way and sorting out wether its age related or shard issue we don't know yet.
J'Kla

Postby ddb174 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:45 pm

Folks who just happen to work at Cyan are welcome too, of course!

About the problem with the Hood: It seems that it works correctly for most people, even when installing from scratch and creating a new avatar. So it's a bit of a mystery. Next time it happens, could you send me the Python0.elf file in the /log directory? I seem to recall that the Tickers from Moul were causing a crash problem for some people, so this might be the same problem. (In the meantime, you can get a nexus link from Gahreesen or Kadish or Gira, e.g.)

Edit: Oh, and which version of Windows are you two running?
ddb174

Postby kaelisebonrai » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:25 am

Karkadann wrote:One more display from the Guild of Writers to suggest that they have what it takes to deal with the issues of open source?
Or maybe one step closer, something to keep people interested in Uru LIve while we wait. Or perhaps even a small sample of what may be in store as far as new ages and their potential.

No, this isn't the GoW at all.

If you consider yourself a member of the Guild of Writers - I would recommend considering not registering for this shard.

This is what he thinks of you.

-logredacted-
http://ebonrai.com/dustin-steam.txt
Last edited by kaelisebonrai on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaelisebonrai

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion