An Age Suggestion- Walking Maze!

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: An Age Suggestion- Walking Maze!

Postby pokemon71096 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:48 pm

Well i have not learned programming; i can help in the design dept.
pokemon71096

Postby Karkadann » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:34 pm

OK Poke heres what I got so far

I just started from scratch after noticing a few screw ups, what I have so far is some stair arch's. the arch's that are level both are now about 6 foot wide and Intersections at five different heights. I had planned on setting it up so that when you walk onto an intersection you would hear one of four noises Ping, twang, swish, or bonk and that would tell you which direction to go, (referring to the Mechanical and Selenitic ages from RealMyst). also I was gonna set up the Fog so that you could not see past the next intersection. I also need to figure out something for the end of the maze besides donuts.

So what do you think of the idea so far.
Its my first puzzle age and any suggestions as far as design are concerned are more then welcome.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby pokemon71096 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:54 am

Well that sounds more than splendid!
I suggest the end include- bit not only- a Myst linking book, for tradition.
pokemon71096

Postby Chuckles58 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:44 am

I think the reward should be left secret until the explorer finds his way through. I have PMd Karkadann with a interesting choice for a reward.
Image<----Click for info
Chuckles58

Postby J'Kla » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:56 am

Why only one exit?

And why not a red herring that links you back to the start or some other point in the maze?
J'Kla

Postby Pavitra » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:21 pm

J'Kla wrote:And why not a red herring that links you back to the start or some other point in the maze?

Because that sort of thing serves only to annoy the player and waste their time.
Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Pavitra

Postby J'Kla » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:14 pm

So?

As if a maze was not allready a wast of time.
J'Kla

Postby pokemon71096 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:26 pm

no, that's mean. :P
I say.... hmm.... MYST library book, and a gallery dedicated to MRE. I mean, according to Uru canon, those are games, right? Not the best idea, i know. I still feel attached to the book idea though. Nostalgia.
pokemon71096

Postby Karkadann » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:42 pm

J'Kla wrote:So?

As if a maze was not allready a wast of time.

Creating the walking Maze allows me to escape the trials and tribulations of daily life, So for me its not a waste of time.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby J'Kla » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:51 pm

I'm not saying it's wrong to waste time, just that if you are allready doing a maze then a loop back is just more of the same and is just a way of adding complexity and that provided it's not overdone it is a valid extension.

In fact it's at the heart of modern programming in the re-use of code with object oriented programming.

With some clever alignment you could make this maze largely modular and repeating with audio clues as one option but giving the player a second option of mapping thats only valid if the maze has sufficient complexity.

It allways bothered me that there was a degree of difficulty in cracking the original MYST spaceship if you had a hearing impairment or like many failed to have perfect pitch and that there was no alternative digital readout.

To cut to the chase false exits, alternative exits and loop backs are all part of the options in adding complexity to a maze the degree to which they are used sets the tone for the project and as such the final decision rests with the project leader.
J'Kla

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion