Ramblings from a Noob +1

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Re: Ramblings from a Noob +1

Postby Calena » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:28 pm

I'm feeling the need to ramble again. My son has me buried in one challenge after another. Our first big effect is in place and works like a charm :) . I didn't know till the first time he saw it that he didn't think I'd actually be able to pull it off. He was dumbfounded! Yeah, I was eating it up, all proud, thinking I had this covered . . . dumb.

One of the reasons I wanted to work with my son was to get new ideas, rather than trying to repeat what Cyan did and not do as well. My son has new ideas. As a matter of fact, he's coming up with things no one has put in video games before! He's determined to make a game that incorporates all the stuff everyone leaves out, or at least as much as we can get the game engine to pull off.

So, after successfully completing the first section, he bumped up the challenge :o . He gives me the general idea, draws a basic sketch and I go to work. I honestly thought I did a dang good job with the initial layout. Then he started with his artistic critiquing. Good grief! If he wasn't my one and only son, I'd be working on my own right now :evil: . I thought I was anal about texturing and getting everything just right. I'm chump change compared to him (chip off the old block he is). I finally start understanding what it is he wants me to do - and realize this isn't something that's done. It just isn't done. Nobody does this. Okay, I just did it. I took about 12 hours to get two faces on two planes to look the way he wanted them to look :ugeek: . I will say this, it definitely has the WOW factor happening.

Of course, this is a two way street. He finally learned how to get his avatar to run last week :lol: . He isn't used to playing games on a computer and he uses one of those pen tablets instead of his mouse. He knows how to use fly mode to get around in a hurry, but he keeps going too far and flying past where he needs to be. Oh, and I had to curb his enthusiasm for falling off things and Reltoing out of the age. He likes that so much, he wanted to put all sorts of things in the age to cause players to fall off and Relto out. He thinks it's fun! I've gently explained to him that the vast majority of explorers (myself included) really don't like doing that all the time. The transition from Nintendo to URU is more difficult than I imagined. I picture him trying to walk without falling off things as I spend hours and hours trying to build what he is envisioning. We both have our challenges to overcome.

I'm guessing by the time we finish this, we'll easily have 1500 hours into it between the two of us. We've been at it now for about six weeks and he hasn't slowed down one bit. This is good, it means he really is enjoying it as much as I do. I was fortunate enough to get Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite 2011. I take a bit of time now and then to pop into it to see what all it's capable of. If we manage to get this age built the way we want to, converting it for MOUL may be my first practice in the new software. In the longer term, there's still my grandson and his walking, talking world. We haven't forgotten ;) . It's going to take some serious learning to get there. That age building virus that dendwaler warned me about - it's too late. We already have it.
Galatians 2: 20-21

"Don't mess with me today. I have my CAPS LOCK key and I know how to use it!"
Calena

Postby Chacal » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:02 am

The good side of it is, when you go in a retirement home, you'll be the only one who gets daily visits from her son.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Calena » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:44 am

Chacal wrote:The good side of it is, when you go in a retirement home, you'll be the only one who gets daily visits from her son.

Now I have this picture in my mind of me lying on my deathbed preparing to meet my maker, and my son showing up with a laptop. I can just see him saying, "before you go, could you just move this one vertice two centimeters to the left." :lol: Hopefully, I won't have to worry about this for another 25 or 30 years.

For anyone interested, future ramblings will be posted here:
http://guildofmaintainers.org/Forum/vie ... 4d1f00b8d8
Galatians 2: 20-21

"Don't mess with me today. I have my CAPS LOCK key and I know how to use it!"
Calena

Previous

Return to General Discussion