Ramblings from a Noob +1

General debates and discussion about the Guild of Writers and Age creation

Ramblings from a Noob +1

Postby Calena » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:45 pm

AKA "Start, Stop, Study, Do Over", including "Where did it go?" and "that's not what it looked like in Blender!"

I must admit I'm having much fun building my first age, in spite of the stop/start nature of the experience. Having first downloaded Blender on Dec. 3 and PyPRP on Jan. 13, I feel like I'm light years away from the initial "Look, it's a cube!" moment. I have an actual partial age :D . Yes, I'm very proud of myself.

There will come a time when I'm going to be asking the writers on this board for help. So far, my age is named "Try3.1Grid". My skills seem to be rather limited to the technical aspects of age building. I did go looking for a D'ni dictionary, but gave up after I found one. Some things are better left to others.

I owe many thanks to Andy Legate, D'Lanor and the search function on this forum. But, one by one I'm solving the riddles and the age is being built. Having spent my career designing payroll systems and operational databases, I feel like a kid let out of school. This is WAY more fun and enjoyable, though much less profitable :lol:.

Most evenings I wrap up by choosing one of the fan ages to explore. Each and every time, I find something that makes me say "Wow, how did they do that?" There's an awfully lot of talent and expertise in this bunch.

One note of caution to anyone else wanting to try this - you know how sometimes you get a song stuck in your head and can't get rid of it? Well, I'm REALLY sick of "AAAWWW WHEEEE!" when I first open URU. I just keep hearing that sound over and over and over. I'm turning off my speakers from now on.
Last edited by Calena on Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galatians 2: 20-21

"Don't mess with me today. I have my CAPS LOCK key and I know how to use it!"
Calena

Re: Ramblings from a Noob

Postby Charura » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:49 pm

I did go looking for a D'ni dictionary, but gave up after I found one.

Me too...

And then I looked for an English one...Geez...I'm out...

Welcome...BTW...you are three steps ahead of me...
Gehn Shard avvies: charura 10827 chickopee 142711 cannon belle 144577 char gearz 149794 teri dactyl 153077
Moul(a) Charura 55400 Chickopee 20089892 Cannon Belle 13686512 Char Gearz 706359 Teri Dactyl 12658065
Charura

Postby tachzusamm » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:01 pm

Calena wrote:So far, my age is named "Try3.1Grid".

Now, THATS a very cool name. Very D'ni-ish. And short.
I sometimes find myself choose names like "[AgeName]-Revision_B2_Version97.a-TreeTrial03-Test-w/Chair".

Calena wrote:Well, I'm REALLY sick of "AAAWWW WHEEEE!" when I first open URU. I just keep hearing that sound over and over and over. I'm turning off my speakers from now on.

Or simply rename Intro0.bik and Intro1.bik to Intro0.bik.backup and Intro1.bik.backup (in the URU's avi folder) - and the intro videos including their sound are just skipped. ;)
tachzusamm

Postby Calena » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:17 pm

tachzusamm wrote:I sometimes find myself choose names like "[AgeName]-Revision_B2_Version97.a-TreeTrial03-Test-w/Chair".

That's a very impressive name, it sounds very official and organized. I'm into simple incrementation. Everytime I get something working, I increment. I'm actually up to Try7.4Grid and have to keep changing it back to 3.1 when I export to URU.

The name thing really bugs me. It makes me feel like some sort of idiot savant. I can build new computers from scratch, re-build 10 year old computers and get them running like new, I spend my days re-engineering operating processes, but ask me to think of a pretty word? I'm dumbfounded. Duh.

tachzusamm wrote:Or simply rename Intro0.bik and Intro1.bik to Intro0.bik.backup and Intro1.bik.backup (in the URU's avi folder) - and the intro videos including their sound are just skipped. ;)

That is a great suggestion. I haven't been brave enough to start changing the core game yet. Which is ridiculous because I have about 7 copies saved on two computers, 4 operating systems and a usb drive. Hmm, I might have a confidence problem :oops: .

I'm back into study mode. I'm at the point that the cave door must open. If it doesn't, the age will get boring real fast. I'm watching Blender videos and have learned some wonderful things about recreating energy dispersion. I really just want the door to go up. I've learned out how to get it to go up. Now, how to get it to stay there. I'll keep studying.

Calena

Postby Calena » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:26 pm

Well, still studying. To achieve my current objective of creating and animating the cave door, I've had to back up and get a better understanding of how animation works (start/stop/study/do-over). In the process, my age now has sitting mods and the windmill is turning :D . Life is happening here.

The thought has struck me a few times that it would be way fun to make an age of all the goofs before we get it working right. Andy's Camp Bravo is nothing compared the bizarre twists my age has taken during my learning process. Watching my avatar walk to the end of the bench, go up in the air, slide backwards and sit sideways above and in the middle of the bench :o was unexpected. It's fixed now. (Then there was that upside down atmosphere).

I've also realized that I need the knowledge of re-creating energy dispersion to get a realistic depiction of the door opening. It's a giant rock door, must . open . very . sss llll ooooo wwwww. And then settle into place.

Calena

Postby Calam » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:37 pm

but ask me to think of a pretty word? I'm dumbfounded. Duh.

Hey, there's an idea for your Age's name: Duh. Duh...something... Duh-knee! Duhnee! Oh wait, that's taken... Nevermind.
Calam

Postby Calena » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:59 am

My son and grandson got the first 'sneak peak' at what I have done so far. My son is a professional artist who is also a die-hard gamer, so I was nervous but hopeful about his opinion. He was impressed and gave me a couple of very doable pointers to give one scene a better finished look. Then my 7 year old grandson piped up with his suggestion. I need to put a bear in the cave. It needs to be friendly and it needs to move and he should be able to talk to it. Oh, um, well, you see . . .

I may name it Nobarinduh Cave age.

Calena

Postby Chacal » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:18 pm

worst.
pun.
ever.

:evil:
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby ametist » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:19 pm

Then my 7 year old grandson piped up with his suggestion. I need to put a bear in the cave. It needs to be friendly and it needs to move and he should be able to talk to it. Oh, um, well, you see .

:lol: I know about such grandchildren - here's a suggestion: take him on a trip to Cretaceous age and Cretaceous Park, some of those critters can even take him on a ride!
ametist

Postby Calena » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:16 pm

ametist wrote: :lol: I know about such grandchildren - here's a suggestion: take him on a trip to Cretaceous age and Cretaceous Park, some of those critters can even take him on a ride!

The author herself. I'm honored. You'll be pleased to know that my grandson was happy that at least someone understood the need for moving animals. And he could even ride yours, which he did for quite some time. He also liked Hayal with it's secret garden, robots, penquins, and big balloons. His reaction to the Bevin? "Grandma, this place is kinda creepy. Can I go back and ride the dinosaurs again?" :lol:

Yes, your work is highly appreciated in this household. I would happily make the bear for my grandson except my skills aren't remotely close to that yet. Someday though, I hope. I plan to keep learning :) .

Calena

Next

Return to General Discussion